Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Cut springs and Bilstein shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 12:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cut springs and Bilstein shocks?

A buddy of mine has cut springs on all of his f-bodies. The cars actually handle better than before. He always used a cut-off wheel because a torch kills the spring.

I'm getting married in 3 months so saving $2-300 from the spring purchase would let me lower it now.

I'd like to get new shocks and cut the springs, any opinions?
Old 03-17-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

You'll probably hear replies from both sides of the fence on cutting springs. I plan on doing the same thing, I'm just not sure how much to lop off to get a 1" drop in the front. Does your bud cut them while still on the car?
Old 03-17-2006, 01:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Roadhouse
You'll probably hear replies from both sides of the fence on cutting springs. I plan on doing the same thing, I'm just not sure how much to lop off to get a 1" drop in the front. Does your bud cut them while still on the car?
Not on the car, the last time I helped we took the whole front assembly off the car and compressed the spring, disassemled, cut, and reassembled.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would never cut a spring on any car I own. I don't trust the random rates left when cutting.

You might be able to get away with it but the saying goes "Good Enough, Never Is."

I really would look into getting a good lowering spring to match your Bilstiens
Old 03-17-2006, 06:40 PM
Teching In

If you are doing it just for looks, why not just cut the springs and NOT get new shocks? To get it performing correctly you would want a combo of Good springs and the correctly valved or adjustable shocks to go along with the new spring rate. I feel you on the budget thing, so you gotta do what you gotta do, but I don't think the car is going to handle any better with cut springs, it might just seem that way because it is lower.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Measure the amount of drop you want at the tops of the wheel wells. Go under the car and meaure from the bottom of the spring while the spring is loaded. Mark the spring. Remove it from vehicle and cut with cut-off wheel.

I did mine that way and they came out exact. Works fine, handles much better and car sits even for first time in its life.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:41 PM
Banned

Good tips everyone. I think I'll leave the stock shocks and cut the springs untill I can buy the whole combo 6 months from now. Sounds like a plan. This should work for now. -Joshua
Old 03-18-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Depending on the SLP suspension under your car you may get away with it.
I know the 1LE springs are rated heavier then stock. So i'm guessind the Blistien are too.
Hawk

Quick Reply: Cut springs and Bilstein shocks?