Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

K-Member Sneak Peek Pictures Released!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 11:52 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thumbs up K-Member Sneak Peek Pictures Released!

Hello Members,

We have been getting many calls, PM's and e-mail's regarding the status of our K-member. Well I wanted to post a few pictures of the progress and what we have so far. I usually don't like to post pictures of unfinished items but I think this is worth it. The release date for this item is sometime in May and we are very anxious for this. Please note the pictures below are NOT the finished item, these are proto-types only. This item pictured is only tack welded together and is not fully welded. The finished product will resemble the pictures below, however there is some additional bracing that has been left off the ones pictured (there are a few things we left out to keep secret right now ) We have been working on this for some time now and are very pleased with our progress. The weight reduction we currently have is a 26lb savings with built in motor mounts. This item will currently be marketed in Mild Steel as we are unsure of Chrome Moly at this time. Prices will be released shortly as well.

Enjoy the pictures

Old 04-15-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would this be safe for daily driven street use?

Looks great. Not only is saving weight good, taking that weight off the front of the car is the best way to do it.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
Would this be safe for daily driven street use?
Uhhhh yeah that's the idea.

Finally, a K member replacement that can hopefully stand up to autoX and road race events!! And removes substantial weight. Can't wait to get the pricing. Be sure to offer it in red powdercoat!
Old 04-15-2006, 12:38 PM

Need a car to test it out on?

Should help my 60'
Old 04-15-2006, 12:42 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was any computer modeling/stress analysis done to develop the design for this part?
Old 04-15-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Looks like a nice piece. Hopefully we won't have any failures on daily driven cars once these are out.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:26 PM
FormerVendor

The goal is to offer a item able to with stand the abuse of a street driven vehicle. We have a few small ideas that are incorporated into this piece not shown in the pictures. So far are testing has been months of steet abuse and drag racing. I will post more information as we have it.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 04-15-2006, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

how is this better than the granatelli K member? Afaik The granatelli saves double the weight, thats ofcourse from some recent chevy mag.

edit: granatelli K member saves 30 and this looks much beefier. I'd deal with 4 lbs.

Last edited by OmniRex; 04-15-2006 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:26 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bah, Screw Granatelli! That UMI K-member looks sweet. I would trust a "suspension" based company more than a all around parts company.

Cmon Ryan im sure you can find some more weight to shave off.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:21 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by OmniRex
how is this better than the granatelli K member? Afaik The granatelli saves double the weight, thats ofcourse from some recent chevy mag.

edit: granatelli K member saves 30 and this looks much beefier. I'd deal with 4 lbs.
You lay our K-Member next to the Granatelli and you would immediatly see the difference. It you look close at the Granatelli you can see areas of possible failure.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
The goal is to offer a item able to with stand the abuse of a street driven vehicle. We have a few small ideas that are incorporated into this piece not shown in the pictures. So far are testing has been months of steet abuse and drag racing. I will post more information as we have it.

Thanks,
Ryan
So another k-member which won't help the ax/rr crowd. Not that there's a reliability problem with the stocker - but weight reduction is always nice
Old 04-16-2006, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice looking piece, a little late for me. But i'm waiting to see the price, before i rip off my new BMR 'K'
Hawk
Old 04-16-2006, 08:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go to chrome-moly, add a thin skid plate below the A/B tubes, and a couple of small gussets around the E/C weldments, you'd be real close to a nice AutoX/RR piece. You ought to consider tossing a couple of these to the guys on FFRAX to see if they can bust 'em up for ya...

Why not add an attachment point for a torque strap and offer that as an option too?
Old 04-16-2006, 11:43 AM
FormerVendor

Well like I mentioned in the first, the K-Members we are currently testing have additional bracing not shown in the pictures. We have a brace that runs to the rear A-Arm mount into the main cross tubing similar to a convertible K-Member. This item will be marketed as streetable and drag and after some more testing has been completed autoX and RR suitable.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 04-16-2006, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

but...so more than likely these will be 100% streetable, for everyday street use?
Old 04-16-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

I know squat about K-members but I do know that lookss hawt. Do you already make one for the LT1 or no?
Old 04-16-2006, 02:39 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 1999Z28
but...so more than likely these will be 100% streetable, for everyday street use?
Yes it is designed to take everyday street abuse with no issues.

Also we will be offering this for both the LS1 and LT1 vehicles.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 04-16-2006, 03:11 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be interested in this if some auto-x and RR guys got ahold of it and took it through a couple seasons with no issues. Definitely looks stronger than some of the other offerings out there...
Old 04-16-2006, 03:34 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
The weight reduction we currently have is a 26lb savings with built in motor mounts.
The stock cast motor mount pedistals are very heavy, and I've already replaced mine with much lighter solid mounts from Sphon. I'm thinking I saved about 16 pounds doing that. So using your K-member would possibly save 10 lbs over using the stock K member with solid mounts.

Put it on a autoX car running 12 inch wide slicks on concrete, and if it survives a season, I'll be impressed. Would still like to know if you have done any computer stress analysis? The stock piece is designed pretty well, so that's gonna be a tough act to beat.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Cal
Put it on a autoX car running 12 inch wide slicks on concrete, and if it survives a season, I'll be impressed.
Riddle me this, Batman...what can happen when a k-member fails?

Quick Reply: K-Member Sneak Peek Pictures Released!