Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
View Poll Results: BMR or Hotchkis with Koni SAs?
BMR Springs
0%
Hotchkis Springs
75.00%
Keep my WS6 Springs and just do shocks :-(
25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

What is a better match for Koni SAs? BMR/Hotchkis?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 12:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What is a better match for Koni SAs? BMR/Hotchkis?

I want the Koni SA 4/4 setup, but need to know what springs to go with it. I want a 1 inch drop because I personally don't like the look of anything more than that. The car is a DD and sees twisties almost every day. Canyon carving is my passion, but I do go the track at least 4 or 5 times a year. I figure I can adjust the shocks for the dragstrip and then adjust for my daily commute. I will be doing weld-in relocation brackets as well. I also have UMI LCAs and a UMI adjustable PHB and BMR SFCs. I just picked up some decent tires, so I am finally looking for some decent handling. I figure when I am done I will also get Sam Strano's 35/25 setup as well. Any comments from people who actually have these setups would be appreciated.

Please don't try and sell me on another shock or another spring. I have decided that this is the direction I want to go, I just need some expert advice on what path to take. Thanks guys.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:36 AM
On The Tree

I just put koni SA's on my SS with the factory springs............love it. I set the front springs on the lower spring perch and did the hose mod on the rear..........3/4" drop all around.
Attached Thumbnails What is a better match for Koni SAs? BMR/Hotchkis?-koni.jpg  
Old 05-01-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, but just not enough drop for me...TTT PLEASE!
Old 05-02-2006, 01:16 AM
Launching!

If it's a 1" drop your looking for, on paper Hotchkis spring rates looks like they will be more forgiving on a DD. There are very few on this board who will have tried both rates and will be able to accurately explain their different characteristics. If you are interested in Sam's Addco made 35/22 hollow combo, I highly recommend you speak with him before you decide on one particular spring rate.

Scott.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since "Canyon Carving is your passion" you cannot go wrong with the G2 Super Springs. Do not close any doors on all the options you have. I use the Koni SA/G2 Super Springs and the combo works very well.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:20 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Lots of canyons in Texas? Kidding, just kidding.

I disagree, the G2 springs are fine in front, but IMO way, way, WAY too stiff in the back. I use a 150 spring on my car, most street springs are in around that rate, but those springs are another 15-35% stiffer than what I use (which is 25% stiffer than stock is).

Koni's will damp any of the springs mentioned, so the question about what's a better match doesn't apply in so far as the shocks being able to damp them. It does however, matter in what the springs are used for, and what's a useable rate.

I do a lot of Hotchkis springs as part of my setups, for a reason.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-02-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Lots of canyons in Texas? Kidding, just kidding.

I disagree, the G2 springs are fine in front, but IMO way, way, WAY too stiff in the back. I use a 150 spring on my car, most street springs are in around that rate, but those springs are another 15-35% stiffer than what I use (which is 25% stiffer than stock is).

Koni's will damp any of the springs mentioned, so the question about what's a better match doesn't apply in so far as the shocks being able to damp them. It does however, matter in what the springs are used for, and what's a useable rate.

I do a lot of Hotchkis springs as part of my setups, for a reason.
would you recomend a stiffer sway bar to compensate for the softer hotchkis springs?
Old 05-02-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano

I agree the rear G2 Super Springs are very stiff. But I like them.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:59 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by qwikz28
would you recomend a stiffer sway bar to compensate for the softer hotchkis springs?

Stiffer than what? Stock? 21/22mm-ish? 25mm? And what do you mean to "compensate"? We are still talking spring rates some 25% stiffer than stock in the back. Do most folk/situations end up with a little more than a stock bar? Yep. But I'm not going to tell you that ALL people do, or that you *have* to do it as well. Many don't, depends on how you like it. STEP BY STEP PEOPLE. SUSPENSION TUNING IS A STEP BY STEP PROCESS.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
I agree the rear G2 Super Springs are very stiff. But I like them.
Compared too????? It's cool you like them, but most folks tend to like the parts they chose. But the same can be said about big cams, big heads, etc..... Folks do them, and like them, but that doesn't always mean it might have been the best move.

The rest of your setup (front springs, front bar rate, rear bar rates) are all similar to what run on a majority of cars. But then you add all that extra spring (and the associated roll stiffness, and overall stiffness) in the back and you just take grip away, not to mention make the car ride like a unloaded 1-ton truck. And lets face it, we do drive what amount to pick-ups. Not a lot of weight in the back and a solid axle. Just the way an empty 1-ton hops and skips, the F-body works the same way. Difference here is we don't need to carry 2500 pounds of payload that require those type of springs in a 1-ton truck. This is why you don't see 1/2 ton trucks with those types of springs. They aren't necessary or wanted for the job at hand.

All IMHO of course.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

True, very true Sam,

and if I may mention, the rear axle being solid yields a considerable amount of unsprung weight compared to many "possibilities of an independent rear suspension." Essentially, with most of the rear end drivetrain weight not being sprung and since the F-body isn't really designed to be a flatbed truck, there isn't a great need to add more spring rate for it.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ttt...
Old 05-11-2006, 05:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I just redid my whole suspension about two weeks ago. I went with the entire Hotchkis suspesion set up (springs, sway bars, trailing arms, adjustable pan hard) and Koni's. The drop is perfect for me and the ride is not to bad. It's a little stiffer but it rides pretty good. I have not had the chance to play with the settings on the Koni's since this is not my daily driver.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The Hotchkis rear bar is very large, and their LCA's use urethane bushings at both ends. Those two things have a detremental effect on ride quality. So ride would be better with different LCA's and/or a somewhat less big rear bar.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:31 PM
TECH Regular

I had the eibach pro-kit. It was pretty good IMO. It didn't respond to pot holes very well, then again no f-body does lol.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:13 AM
Launching!

I just did Hotchkis & Koni DA. It netted 1.25" drop front and rear. I had ordered BMR and they were on BO. I am glad I got the Hotchkis instead. I am ordering the Strano Sway today if they are open. I love the way it handles as well as looks. From what I have read and spoke to Sam he knows his stuff and is very helpful.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CarnivorWS.6-01
I just did Hotchkis & Koni DA. It netted 1.25" drop front and rear. I had ordered BMR and they were on BO. I am glad I got the Hotchkis instead. I am ordering the Strano Sway today if they are open. I love the way it handles as well as looks. From what I have read and spoke to Sam he knows his stuff and is very helpful.
PICS?
Old 07-03-2006, 04:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Midnite_LS1
PICS?
18x9 with 275/40/18 Tires

Quick Reply: What is a better match for Koni SAs? BMR/Hotchkis?