Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Handleing and track times

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 09:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handleing and track times

ok my friend at work loves to see how well cars perform on a road course and we were lookin at the new Z06 stomping everything making new stock car records on nurburing. but you never see any camaros or firebirds, im wondering what kinda times one of them would run on a road course in comparison to a vette,evo,BMW. i know it wont be runnin with them but i just wonder how they would do tho if anyone has any kinda time comparisons or aything lemme know
Old 05-04-2006, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rgaynor85
ok my friend at work loves to see how well cars perform on a road course and we were lookin at the new Z06 stomping everything making new stock car records on nurburing. but you never see any camaros or firebirds, im wondering what kinda times one of them would run on a road course in comparison to a vette,evo,BMW. i know it wont be runnin with them but i just wonder how they would do tho if anyone has any kinda time comparisons or aything lemme know
Depends on what kind of Vette or BMW. On many road courses a stock F-body will take an Evo quite easilly with a good driver.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:03 AM
Staging Lane

Hi...

I don't know what an evo is... but I own a Camaro Z28 (99') and a BMW Z4 3.0l. And I'm living in germany and have been driving on the Nürburgring. With stock suspension, brakes, rims and tyres, I think there is really NO possibility for a Z28 to keep up with most BMW's (with more than 2.0l displacement) on a handling oriented race track. Power is nothing... without traction...

However, I love my beast...
Old 05-05-2006, 08:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

F-bodies hold their own...
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....article_id=155
Old 05-05-2006, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

You need better rubber, new shocks, or maybe just learn the mannerisms of "the larger car". Anything short of a newer BMW M3 the Z28 will take in a road course.

Hell you do shocks, sway bars, and tires and the Z28 will stay with the better cars.

Originally Posted by Silver99Z28
Hi...

I don't know what an evo is... but I own a Camaro Z28 (99') and a BMW Z4 3.0l. And I'm living in germany and have been driving on the Nürburgring. With stock suspension, brakes, rims and tyres, I think there is really NO possibility for a Z28 to keep up with most BMW's (with more than 2.0l displacement) on a handling oriented race track. Power is nothing... without traction...

However, I love my beast...
Old 05-05-2006, 05:26 PM
Staging Lane

Hi Dal1as...

Right now I have Bilstein's all around... 275/40R17 tyres all-around, a 32mm front-swaybar... and I'm still waiting for my Z28 to get up to my BMW...
No chance...

On very fast tracks, at around 150-160mph, the suspension is still to soft, and the brakes are VERY inadequate... (But I think at high speed tracks, the F-Body could be made competitive, with even better suspension parts and brakes).

On handling tracks, no chance for the Z28... 1700kg to 1400kg, a lot of unsprung weight (especially at the rear) and a suboptimal weight balance.

But we are talking about handling oriented tracks, are we...?

Just my experience, Holger

P.S.: On a very well known German Handling-Tracktest-List, the Corvette C5 is around number 53, the BMW Z4 3.0l is at number 7, the F-Body has never been listed there.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:30 PM
TECH Resident

yeah i know, its not listed, i am talking about handling tracks, i know right now the c6 z06 is breaking new records aside form supercars like ferarri enzos and carrera GT's. i just wanted an idea of how fbodys stood, its the best handleing car ive ever had and ive never riden in a bmw so i was curious
Old 05-07-2006, 07:35 AM
TECH Resident

Could a factory car with a live axle be even considered world class in handling?
Old 05-07-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by damon_Z
Could a factory car with a live axle be even considered world class in handling?

no

but it can still be made to pull over 1.0g with the right parts.. some hitting much higher than that as well...
Old 05-07-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

showroom stock vs showroom stock ... a C5 will out run a F-Car on a road course. That's a no-brainer ...

But for the $20K difference in price, an F-Car can be outfitted to spank a Z06 and have enough left over to build a nice shop to work on it.

For $7500, I built a 96 Trans Am into a CMC legal road race car. CMC requires a bone stock power plant RESTRICTED to 230 RWHP.

A friend had a C5 on Hoosiers and couldn't get around me. He was faster in areas and I was faster in others.

The KEY is weight. Get the F-Car down to around 3000lbs wet with driver and the car handles like a go-cart.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

Hi Mitch...

3000lbs, wet, with driver... If I'm calculating the right way, for my metric world, that means at least 400kg less than stock...

The car car will loose some of its daily-driver-qualities, before everything is removed, necessary to reach this weight...right?

You are a race driver, true? I think it's only fair to compare the cars as they left the factory, or with some modifications, that don't hurt daily-driver-qualities to much... Just my opinion...

Also, I think the (stock) C5 is a great car, but can't compete with the best handling cars, for me it's more like a very fast GT. The C6 is something different, of course.

Holger
Old 05-07-2006, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver99Z28
Hi Mitch...

3000lbs, wet, with driver... If I'm calculating the right way, for my metric world, that means at least 400kg less than stock...

The car car will loose some of its daily-driver-qualities, before everything is removed, necessary to reach this weight...right?

You are a race driver, true? I think it's only fair to compare the cars as they left the factory, or with some modifications, that don't hurt daily-driver-qualities to much... Just my opinion...

Also, I think the (stock) C5 is a great car, but can't compete with the best handling cars, for me it's more like a very fast GT. The C6 is something different, of course.

Holger
These cars are actually closer to 3500lbs.
And right, it wouldnt be a "good" daily driver
Old 05-07-2006, 07:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We built a 95 Z28 to CMC rules:
6 point cage
suspension points stock
stock front suspension
any spring/shock combo
stock dash
stock steering column
stock exhaust manifolds
16x8 wheels shod with Toyo tires
no body structure removed

And it weighed 2788 wet, but w/o a windshield, driver or subframe connectors.

Quick Reply: Handleing and track times