Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Royally f'd up the brakes today

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Royally f'd up the brakes today

So I went to put the breaks on the better half's Ta today. We picked up the Hawk front and rear pads and the slotted and drilled rotors from the ws6store

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...27027ae66090f7

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...27027ae66090f7

So I button everything up and start the car. As I put the car in reverse, it goes nowhere. So I give it some gas and it moves out. Take it down the road and start the break in procedure. As I come up on a stop sign and hit the brakes, BOOOOOOM. Something breaks free and I have to really jump on the stop pedal.

So I pull the car back in and the passenger side front rotor and completely broken in half. The center section of the rotor broke away from the rest of it. Any ideas on what I f'd up and why? I am definitely now. I'm now relaxing for the rest of the day and I'm going to have a few dozen
Old 05-06-2006, 05:56 PM
TECH Regular

I dont know man I have the same set up call ws6 store or rotoworks
Old 05-06-2006, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My hunch is that you had a stuck slider pin and the pads had the rotor on a bind (which is why it didn't want to go anywhere in the first place). Then when you applied the brakes, it pulled the rotor "sideways" since the caliper was stuck and not floating as it should be. Once it bound the rotor enough, it broke. Cast iron is brittle, so it won't put up with that kind of force.

Just my guess.

(And if so, I doubt they will warranty it since it's not a problem caused by a defective rotor).
Old 05-07-2006, 10:00 AM
TECH Regular

yup, sounds like slider pins not working properly
Old 05-08-2006, 07:18 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll be calling the ws6store later today to see if they will just sell me the passenger side front rotor.

Is there a way to check the slider pins once I install the rotor again?
Old 05-08-2006, 07:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 03cobaleen
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll be calling the ws6store later today to see if they will just sell me the passenger side front rotor.

Is there a way to check the slider pins once I install the rotor again?
When you remove the caliper, the slider pins are the two locations that the caliper bolts screw into. You should be able to pull them in and out (and I'd pull them out and lube them with disk brake caliper grease). My guess is that you had some trouble getting the caliper on and lined up. Once it was in place, when your torqued down the wheel, it tried to bend the disk.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:52 AM
Staging Lane

Damn, that's pretty much what happened. It was a little difficult to get the caliper on and lined up. Now I know for next time. Thanks!!
Old 05-08-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 03cobaleen
Damn, that's pretty much what happened. It was a little difficult to get the caliper on and lined up. Now I know for next time. Thanks!!
You'll need to try to pound those slider pins out, clean them up and grease them. If you can't get them out (not uncommon), you'll need to get a new Pad Abutment Bracket and a pair of sliders from the dealer, grease the new pins and install them (you should be able to re-use the rubber boots from your old set) and make sure to tear down and lube the other side as well.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds really dumb, but did you torque the wheel up?
Old 05-08-2006, 02:45 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Sounds like something was messed up.

BUT, slotting and/or drilling rotors weakens them. I've never seen a rotor break in half, even with stuck sliders that completely tore up a set of pads.

Then put the added weakness together with a cheap set of rotors, and I'm not suprised.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!