Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Slalom times for f-bodys

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slalom times for f-bodys

just wondering if anyone knows what kinda mph they can take a stock f-body threw the slalom. ive seen times from other car but never found a test for the f-bodys. im sure someone ran it thrw that being a sports car and all
Old 05-11-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=3

Got sum good info and comparisons....
Old 05-11-2006, 04:26 PM
TECH Resident

yea i found some times i now dont understand how they rate them cause the camaro does like .85g and z06 does 1g and i read a boat of a maxima does .81 and does the slolam like almost as fast im confused how they use that test now
Old 05-11-2006, 04:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

it's because ultimate grip is different than dynamic handling. That's why you shouldn't get hung up on G numbers.

Further, take the same car run two of the same sized slaloms of skidpads on two difference surfaces and the results will be different......
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-12-2006, 02:41 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
it's because ultimate grip is different than dynamic handling. That's why you shouldn't get hung up on G numbers.

Further, take the same car run two of the same sized slaloms of skidpads on two difference surfaces and the results will be different......
This is exactly why one should never "magazine race". We will just leave that to the fart-pipe crowd!
Old 05-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Banned

I agree to disagree:

Through research and simple lookup here or there there is valuable data to be gleaned from slalom times and more importantly steady state cornering Gs. Just for instance, the Road & Track's 700' slalom with 100' separating the cones. Of course while not perfectly objective evaluation, [from June 2006 issue] is it a cooincidence the fleet of BMWs have high sixties type of drive, while the volvos have low spectrum from the same analysis? The short and sweet answer is no, it makes little difference. Is it fishy that a stock corvette comes in higher than it's modified factory counterpart, and that's where emphirical data can be misleading if taken as gospel and spread like a bad disease, even though together with their steady state G's the well informed can certainly paint an accurate picture. Now, neither of these pieces of data exemplifies the correlation between the resulting times, and the steady state cornering G's each of these vehicles are potentially capable of. But to say the information isn't absolutely relevant is far fetched quite a bit.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

If you study the numbers closer, and look at things like lane changes and such, you'll often find cars that aren't really all that high-performance to often out run some real hot rods. I seem to recall the Honda Fit, or maybe a Kia Rio lane-changing quicker than a Corvette.... because those little cars tend to understeer, they are really stable and able to be thrashed. They are also smaller, and width indeed effects slalom and lane change times.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did someone mention, little cars?

http://www.ultimasports.co.uk/gtr/specification.html
http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/disp...ehicleCode=MX5

Last edited by Foxxtron; 05-24-2006 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Would you rather have a C6 Coupe or a C6 Z06? Which is faster? R&T's testing shows the Coupe slalomed quicker than the Z06 did.

A Maserati GranSport slalomed faster than a Lotus Exige. But yet the Lotus pulled .96g on the pad, the Maserati .88g

A "normal" Mini Cooper S outslalomed a John Cooper Works S by 3.2 mph according to R&T.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

Hello,

if we talk about comparable numbers, what do you think about this:

Here in germany we have a very famous historic racetrack called "Nürburgring - Nordschleife", this is not only a small Handling-track, it is 21km long:

There are all kind of curves, small hills... and so on...

Every performance oriented car is being driven around the track, and the numbers are being recorded to compare the cars.

This is the place in Europe, where the american C6 Z06 right now beats everything to death... Wether it is a Porsche or a Ferrari, wether they cost twice as much or more money.... they all have to surrender...

Just watch how this beast flies over the hill:

This is why a world famous driver called it the "green hell":

On this racetrack, which is assumed to be the most difficult in the world, lthe real qualities of car and driver count...

But I'm sorry, I've never heard of a f-body racing there...

Kind Regard from germany... Holger
Old 07-25-2006, 04:36 AM
Staging Lane

Just found this thread...

Originally Posted by Silver99Z28
Here in germany we have a very famous historic racetrack called "Nürburgring - Nordschleife", this is not only a small Handling-track, it is 21km long:
(...)
But I'm sorry, I've never heard of a f-body racing there...
I do -- for years...
Wanna meet and see what an f-body is capable of doing there?

Ben

Last edited by BenZ28; 07-25-2006 at 08:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Slalom times for f-bodys