Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake bleeding question

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 10:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake bleeding question

Ok, so I replaced my suspension, all my extraneous little motors and body panels myself, BUT, I wanna know the best way to bleed my brakes. WHen I finished putting everything back together this was the only problem that presented itself. So what say you oh masterful ones, what is hte best way to go about this daunting task?
Old 05-20-2006, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/504780-how-bleed-brakes.html

please search
Old 05-20-2006, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is a clean and simple way to bleed them by yourself.

Take a peice of vacuum hose and run it into a bottle/can. Pour a little fluid into the bottle making sure the hose is submerged in it. Push the other end of the hose over the bleeder valve with it loose and pump away all by yourself.
Check the fluid level in the master cyl. often to make sure you dont run dry.
When the bottle gets full you can use it to refill the master cyl.

Do not get the fluid on your paint, if your flushing the system I would use Dot5 synthetic fluid to eliminate any future moister/corrosion in the system.
Some say it will cause brake fade in severe conditions but I dont notice any difference.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
SOrry I searched a while back but never asked, got distracted by shiny things didnt search today, I should know better I moderate enoguh forums.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jeremiah

Take a peice of vacuum hose and run it into a bottle/can. Pour a little fluid into the bottle making sure the hose is submerged in it. Push the other end of the hose over the bleeder valve with it loose and pump away all by yourself.

Do not get the fluid on your paint, if your flushing the system I would use Dot5 synthetic fluid to eliminate any future moister/corrosion in the system.
Some say it will cause brake fade in severe conditions but I dont notice any difference.

THank you much sir... My car's paint job is hosed anyway, complete cosmetic rebuild.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hate to dissagree, but the only way of bleeding brakes with only one person is with speed bleeders. With the way you described it, seems like every time the pedal comes back up your gona suck the old fluid right back in, and I donot recomend reusing your old fluid, that defeats on of the purposes of bleeding the system in the first place. And I would recomend using DOT 4 over DOT 5.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hate to dissagree, but the only way of bleeding brakes with only one person is with speed bleeders. With the way you described it, seems like every time the pedal comes back up your gona suck the old fluid right back in, and I donot recomend reusing your old fluid, that defeats on of the purposes of bleeding the system in the first place. And I would recomend using DOT 4 over DOT 5.
From the way you said "it seems like" I would say you have never done it or even tried? I am a body tech and bleed brakes quite often this way, it works great. also I never said to re use your old nasty fluid, I said you can reuse the fluid that fills the bottle. If the system allready has new fluid and your bleeding it to rid the system of air then you can refill the resivior if you opt. If the fluid is all over the wheels and floor then it cant be re used can it? also, from personal experience I didnt notice any difference in the brakes by changing from the Dot 4 to 5. And the Dot 5 will not absorb moister like the 4 and it will not corrode the system like 4 and it will not harm the paint on contact like the 4. If you like your brake fluid looking like dirty oil when you bleed the brakes and want to shorten the life of the system keep using the Dot 4.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

From the way you said "it seems like" I would say you have never done it or even tried? I am a body tech and bleed brakes quite often this way, it works great.
When bleeding the brakes the right way your supposed to press and hold the pedal down, open the bleeder screw and let the fluid run out, then close the bleeder screw, if the bleeder screw isnt closed then you suck air into the system. With the way you described it, when you get release the pedal, your sucking that old fluid right back in.

I said you can reuse the fluid that fills the bottle. If the system allready has new fluid and your bleeding it to rid the system of air then you can refill the resivior if you opt.
Using a Dot 3 of 4 fluid It dosent make much sence. Theres moisture in air, and if your bleeding the system to rid it of air and then throwing that right back in your lowering the boiling point of the system because the fluid you just took out is still contaminated. Brake fluid dosent cost that much, and if your doing something like reusing fluid, regaurdless if its clean or dirty, should just get a cheaper car so you can afford to properly maintain it.

also, from personal experience I didnt notice any difference in the brakes by changing from the Dot 4 to 5. And the Dot 5 will not absorb moister like the 4 and it will not corrode the system like 4 and it will not harm the paint on contact like the 4.
Silicone based DOT 5 should not be used. I hope you mean DOT 5.1. Theres many here who will agree with me on that.
Originally Posted by StopTech
So why is silicone-based DOT 5 fluid more compressible than other fluids?
On their own, silicone-based DOT 5 fluids are entirely different animals than DOT 3 and DOT 4 fluids. In addition to having characteristically higher dry and wet boiling points, they also tend to have much, much lower viscosities. In other words, they flow more easily relative to temperature.

One side effect of this chemistry is that there is more “room” for air to fit in-between the individual molecules of brake fluid than in DOT 3 or DOT 4 fluids. Note that we are not talking about big bubbles of air here which are visible to the naked eye, but rather microscopic amounts of air which are finely dispersed (entrained) in the brake fluid matrix.

Now, all fluids have a certain amount of compressibility to start with, but adding even the smallest amount of air into the solution can dramatically increase the amount of elasticity in the system. In the case of silicone-based fluids, air is quite happy to take up residence between the brake fluid molecules, and as a result the fluid compressibility goes down. This is felt at your foot like stepping on a big spring. As you can imagine, more air = more spring.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.gs610.com/silicone.htm
Theres another link for your reading pleasure.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The guy that owns GS610 is a cheating MF.

He sold Prospeed Porsche brake kits to F-Cars owners and never delivered product. He cheated a lot of folks out of 1000s of dollars.

I know that no one is advocating buying his brake fluid, but ....
Old 05-22-2006, 09:54 AM
Launching!

Default DOT 5, Just say no.

And the Dot 5 will not absorb moister like the 4 and it will not corrode the system like 4
True, it doesn't absorb moisture. Moisture, however, does get in as it isn't a closed system. Air does get into the resevoir as the level drops. The air contains moisture that is transferred to the fluid. The moisture pools and isn't absorbed. The moisture will eventually ruin the metal components in the system through the corrosion process. The moisture isn't easily expelled through routine bleeding but only a full DOT 5 Silicone system flush.

The major upside for DOT 5 is for car collectors not wanting to ruin the paint on a museum or million dollar show car.

Steve
The "new" Pro-Stop Performance, LLC
no association w/the previous owner!!!
Old 05-22-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by steve-d
Steve
The "new" Pro-Stop Performance, LLC
no association w/the previous owner!!!
Sorry Steve.

I should have made that more clear.

Micheal, the previous marketer of a great brake package, is a freaking crook.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

When bleeding the brakes the right way your supposed to press and hold the pedal down, open the bleeder screw and let the fluid run out, then close the bleeder screw, if the bleeder screw isnt closed then you suck air into the system. With the way you described it, when you get release the pedal, your sucking that old fluid right back in.
Who is to say what the "right way" is? if it works it works.
I know for a fact this method works great, I first learned of it from a tech article in a Chevy HP magazine a couple of years back. It works great and it will move more fluid faster than the press and hold method you mentioned with no mess and no damaged paint. If you have never tried it then who are you to say it doesnt work? Like I said I do bodywork for a living and change frames on trucks often, you get a ton of air in the system by transfering the lines to the new frame. I also work on commision and I have to do a lot of things by my self, this is one of those things.

Quick Reply: Brake bleeding question