Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help Removing Lower Spring Perch

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 10:00 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help Removing Lower Spring Perch

I purchased new (Bilstein HD Revalves, Eibach Pro-Kit)

I took the fronts off the car and brought them to a shop(Tire Discounters) to remove the upper strut mounts and the lower spring perch and have them mounted on the bilstein's.

Then they told me that they can't pull the lower perch completely off the strut because of a brass looking ring at the top of the strut body (I describe it as at the top where the piston enters the strut body) That brass ring or cap, is wider than the strut body so Im not sure what I need to do to remove the Lower Spring Perch????

StranoPerformance let me know that plenty of people on here reuse this piece, so if someone could advise me I would be greatful.

I will post pics of what Im describing in just a few min.

Thanks all,
Shawn
Old 06-04-2006, 10:36 AM
Launching!

here are those pics. you can see the brass ring im talking about on the de Carbon, but once someone tells me how to get the spring perch off, I will need to know how to put it onto the Bilstein that is sitting on the right.
Attached Thumbnails Help Removing Lower Spring Perch-dsc01239_3.jpg   Help Removing Lower Spring Perch-dsc01240_2.jpg   Help Removing Lower Spring Perch-dsc01241_2.jpg   Help Removing Lower Spring Perch-dsc01243_2.jpg   Help Removing Lower Spring Perch-dsc01244_2.jpg  

Old 06-04-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Both of them come off easily...take a hammer and tap them off.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NOBR8KSS
Both of them come off easily...take a hammer and tap them off.

so I just tap off those brass looking caps on both the decarbon and the Bilstein? there is nothing that is inside there that I need to worry about coming out by hammering them off? (oils)

I'm such a newb at this stuff lol

Thanks again
Old 06-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Launching!

Your probly going to trash the decarbons anyway. Just tap it off with a hammer. When I got my HDs the piece was not yet mounted on the shock body. You will have to do the same just be careful. Maybe use an old screwdriver and a board so you do not hurt the shock rod and work around the brass ring till it comes off. A little penetrating oil around the perch will help you get it off the old shock a little easier. Good Luck
Old 06-04-2006, 06:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CarnivorWS.6-01
Your probly going to trash the decarbons anyway. Just tap it off with a hammer. When I got my HDs the piece was not yet mounted on the shock body. You will have to do the same just be careful. Maybe use an old screwdriver and a board so you do not hurt the shock rod and work around the brass ring till it comes off. A little penetrating oil around the perch will help you get it off the old shock a little easier. Good Luck

ok so I will tap off the decarbons to get the perch off.

Are you also saying that I will need to tap the brass cap off of the bilstein's as well to put the perch on? and then tap the brass piece back on after I put the perch on?

Is this the process that everyone goes through and Im not carsmart enough to figure it out own my own... or is there something wrong with my shocks?

Last edited by SpoldUP; 06-04-2006 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:02 PM
TECH Regular

yes..i just got pissedoff a the decarbon and beat th **** out of it...and then the brass piece wasnt on my bilstiens.but be gentler with them..and everyone does have to go through it..
Old 06-04-2006, 10:14 PM
Launching!

any help on putting the perch onto the Bilstein's? Do I tap the brass piece off of a brand new strut?
Old 06-05-2006, 12:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

The brass looking part is for the bumpstop to contact. It is just pressed onto the shock. Tap it off the DeCarbon to get the perch off, tap it off the Bilstein to slide the perch on, than reinstall the brass cap on the Bilstein. Simple.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 06-05-2006, 04:22 PM
Launching!

done. Thanks for the help I just didnt want to start banging on things without knowing if I would mess something up.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SpoldUP
done. Thanks for the help I just didnt want to start banging on things without knowing if I would mess something up.
You did the right thing asking. The only stupid question is the one nobody is willing to ask. You'll enjoy your new shocks.

Quick Reply: Help Removing Lower Spring Perch