Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

adjusting a non adjustable panhard rod??

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adjusting a non adjustable panhard rod??

Is it possible? those of you farmiliar with my posts know I got the car and it was already lowered... as far as I know the rod I have isn't adjustable will I have to get an adjustable one before I put the stock springs back on?
Old 06-06-2006, 05:25 PM
TECH Resident

it dont matter...
Old 06-06-2006, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TX_SS
it dont matter...
so the rear wont be off any by switching back to the stockers?
Old 06-06-2006, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shouldn't be a problem - I have friends with lowered cars and still running the stock bar.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only diff is that if you were to look at the car from behind you'd notice that the body of the car isnt "exactly" centered over the axel..no big deal if your tires dont rub..but with larger tires or a diffrent wheel offset you MAY develope a problem with rubbing..or measure the
Old 06-07-2006, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

ok cool.... It was my understanding that it'd affect how the car goes down the 1/4
Old 06-08-2006, 05:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My $0.02 worth... I certainly think having the axle centered will help the handling of the car. If I were drag racing the car, therefore putting a lot of power to the rear, I think the driveshaft being "centered" because the rear end is centered, would also be beneficial.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
My $0.02 worth... I certainly think having the axle centered will help the handling of the car. If I were drag racing the car, therefore putting a lot of power to the rear, I think the driveshaft being "centered" because the rear end is centered, would also be beneficial.
I agree. I'm not really making much power atm... 315whp 340tq... but I do plan on taking the car to the track soon to see what she does. I dont want it dog legging down the track. so I'm assuming that its not possible to adjust it.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:51 PM
Staging Lane

If you have a non-adjustable bar, then your car's rear is off center now, due to the lowering. The non-adjustable bars are stock length.
Putting the stock springs back on will center the rear. If you lower, it shifts the rear, I forget if to the left or to the right though. So then you need the adjustable to center it.
With my car lowered about an inch, the rear was off center about 1/4".
Old 06-08-2006, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

Oh sweet thanks. If its stock length and your lowered Id say it shifts toward the drivers side. that could explain why when I launch the car it always wants to turn right...
Old 06-09-2006, 04:52 AM
TECH Veteran

I dealt with this situation long before adjustable bars could be readily purchased. I took measurements, decided on how much longer the bar had to be, and bought a length of 1 5/8" DOM tubing at the local race shop.

I cut the OE bar apart, had one of my machinist friends at work notch the tubing, then welded the OE ends to the tubing, and "Voila!", a correct lenght, HD panhard bar. I also added Energy Suspension poly bushings for good measure.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z28Camaro01
Oh sweet thanks. If its stock length and your lowered Id say it shifts toward the drivers side. that could explain why when I launch the car it always wants to turn right...
I disagree, I recently was just under my car installing parts and noticed my drivers side inner wheel had been rubbing against the bumpstop, while my passenger side was just fine... my car is lowered and i have the stock panhard... So looks like i need to pick up an adjustable, and seems the car actually shifted to the passenger side...
Old 06-12-2006, 05:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
I disagree, I recently was just under my car installing parts and noticed my drivers side inner wheel had been rubbing against the bumpstop, while my passenger side was just fine... my car is lowered and i have the stock panhard... So looks like i need to pick up an adjustable, and seems the car actually shifted to the passenger side...
Not necessarily... Sometimes, describing what "shifted", the body or the axle, can be confusing. When lowered, both my '85 Firebird, and my '96 Z-28, shifted the axle to the passenger side. The panhard bar went "over center" drawing the axle CLOSER to the inner wheelwell on the left.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Take it to a good alignment shop and have it checked before you buy the adjustable bar, mine was centered perfectly after lowering the car.

Quick Reply: adjusting a non adjustable panhard rod??