Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

2pc rotors for the Fbody?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2pc rotors for the Fbody?

Well ok, I have been on here for a while now, and one thing I have seen a lot of is people asking for OE replacement rotors for the Fbody. There are several OE size 1pc rotors out there, but my big question is this...

Would anyone be interested in an OE size 2pc rotor for the Fbodies?

This is a feeler thread, so let me know what you think. I can assure you that if there is enough interest, we will be happy to accommodate you guys.

Regards
Old 06-13-2006, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

Do you mind explaining why a 2 piece might be a better option than a 1-piece rotor, for those who may not already know. That way, people can make a more informed decision. Thanks.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:26 PM
12 Second Club

Since they are 2 piece would there be options like solid, slotted, dimpled/slotted? If so I might be interested depending on price.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fa63
Do you mind explaining why a 2 piece might be a better option than a 1-piece rotor, for those who may not already know. That way, people can make a more informed decision. Thanks.
The only thing I can think of is weight savings. Because they sure wouldn't be cheaper. I dont see why these rotors wouldn't have the same options as any other. Meaning Solid/Slotted/Drilled etc., solid rotors work the best though. Baer makes a two-piece rotor for our cars. The Eradispeed plus as seen here...

http://www.stealthperf.com/cgi-bin/store/2301006.html

Jon
Old 06-14-2006, 03:45 AM
Teching In

make a 2 peice rotor thats larger but comes with brackets to remount the stock calipers. big brakes in 20 minutes
Old 06-14-2006, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by drivinsidewayz
make a 2 peice rotor thats larger but comes with brackets to remount the stock calipers. big brakes in 20 minutes
Old 06-14-2006, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jon B.
The only thing I can think of is weight savings. Because they sure wouldn't be cheaper. I dont see why these rotors wouldn't have the same options as any other. Meaning Solid/Slotted/Drilled etc., solid rotors work the best though. Baer makes a two-piece rotor for our cars. The Eradispeed plus as seen here...

http://www.stealthperf.com/cgi-bin/store/2301006.html

Jon
I know the advantages of a two-piece rotor. I just don't want people thinking "if they are two piece, they must be better!" and make an uninformed decision. That is why I asked VictorT to give a little explanation. Anyways, here is some good reading for those that may not know:

http://www.prostopperformance.com/product-fbody.html

The CMC guys might like to have a two-piece rotor (I think it would be allowed as long as they are stock-sized).
Old 06-14-2006, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

Since we do not have these available yet, we can do it however you would like. If we did get a GP together for this application, we can surely oversize the rotors and include brackets. Right now I am just gauging interest, so keep the comments coming!!
Old 06-14-2006, 12:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im in desperate need of brakes let alone a 2piece ubt a OE sized 2 piece was awesome
Old 06-14-2006, 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by VictorT
Since we do not have these available yet, we can do it however you would like. If we did get a GP together for this application, we can surely oversize the rotors and include brackets. Right now I am just gauging interest, so keep the comments coming!!
Victor if you do it for the rears, then I'm SERIOUSLY in!!!

AND, making the rotors bigger and coming up with a rear bracket to move the factory calipers to accommodate the new rear rotors would even be better!!!
Old 06-14-2006, 04:32 PM
12 Second Club

This would be a good deal even though I could not use it (need to be able to put 16" snow tire wheels on the year 'round car). In any case I would be in if you made a stock size, alloy hat, high quality non-warping/cracking metallurgy, better vaned, BLANK rotor for a decent price. I'm not asking too much now, am I??
Old 06-14-2006, 06:14 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Carlos01SS
Victor if you do it for the rears, then I'm SERIOUSLY in!!!

AND, making the rotors bigger and coming up with a rear bracket to move the factory calipers to accommodate the new rear rotors would even be better!!!
I'm not sure it could be done for the rears with how the parking brake is set up on our cars...I dunno...maybe it could. Just kinda thinking out loud here...

If you did go ahead with the two piece rotors, as already stated, you'd be in competition with the Baer Eradispeed direct replacement rotors. If you could do it cheaper, and offer more options (like blanks instead of drilled/slotted), I know our road racing guys would be happy. The Baers are a nice, thick rotor, but the hardcore racers don't like them because of all the stress risers. The weight savings though of a two-piece rotor are nice...I was surprised at how much lighter the Baers felt compared to my stock rotors.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:19 PM
12 Second Club

If they were larger than the OEM size rotors, then Id for sure be in! Id preffer the option of having solid/drilled/slotted and so on, but its not necessary. Bigger and a 2 piece would be good enough!
Old 06-15-2006, 06:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

a couple sizes, one to fit the C5 upgrade and stock would be really nice, A solid option for the base price of course, and make sure they include anti rattle clips so people don't complain about the noise when they use them on the street. Other than that it's all about the price. If it's competitive quite a few will sell.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Ok, it looks like I need to catch up with you guys!!! I’m only one guy here, haha. Anyway, I am first going to explain my take on 2pc vs 1pc. This is for you fa63…

Obviously, there is some weight reduction when you use 2pc rotors, but this is not what makes them so much more desirable. What we are looking for in brake upgrades is “heat management”, and this is where two pc rotors shine. What we need are rotors that are less susceptible to warping, there for it is important that the rotors cool at the same rate on both sides. 1pc rotor can not do this effectively since they are attached to a solid metal hat. With a 2pc rotor and an aluminum hat, there is very low heat transfer between rotor and hat, so therefore the rotors are allowed to cool equally on each side. With this design, there is much less chance of warp-age due to uneven cooling.

There also seems to be a desire for C5 size rotors, and the good news is I already have them. I can give pricing on a nice package including 2pc C5 rotors, ss flex lines, and pads to fit either the Fbody caliper or the C5 caliper—your choice. I am not going to clutter this thread with pricing, so PM me if interested, oh and one more thing, we don’t have the C5 brackets, but I do have a place I can refer you for these.

Another thing it seems you guys are looking for is the choice between plain, slotted, drilled or drilled and slotted rotor designs. With us, all four styles are available, and there is not difference in price, so for you guys that would like blanks… no problem.

As for the OE size, we need to get a GP on that to get you guys started, so just let me know who is interested, and we can start to talk pricing. Also, the rear may be a bit harder to attend to, but I am working on what to do about them as well… I will update you as soon as I have more on the rear.

I hope this helps, sorry about the delay…
Old 06-16-2006, 09:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may sound dumb but if you were to buy this, when the rotor wears out, would you just buy the rotor and not the hub part of it? Would that provide any cost savings in the long run? Or are the 2 pieces welded together so that they cannot be taken apart?
Old 06-16-2006, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by prince xizor
This may sound dumb but if you were to buy this, when the rotor wears out, would you just buy the rotor and not the hub part of it? Would that provide any cost savings in the long run? Or are the 2 pieces welded together so that they cannot be taken apart?
Hi,

I would not say that sound dumb... it sounds like something that needs to be clarified. Here is a picture that represents the type of rotor we are talking about...

As you can see, the rotor and hat are seperate, so when it comes time for replacement, you will only need to replace the rotors. Let me know if this helps...
Old 06-16-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Resident

Hey Victor, I would be TOTALLY okay if you made OEM sized 2-piece rotors for the rears, I would buy a slotted set RIGHT NOW, and I would hopefully think that the directions of the slots would match your 13" fronts
Old 06-16-2006, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Carlos01SS
Hey Victor, I would be TOTALLY okay if you made OEM sized 2-piece rotors for the rears, I would buy a slotted set RIGHT NOW, and I would hopefully think that the directions of the slots would match your 13" fronts
Hey Carlos, how are those brakes working? I still have not seen any pictures!!! I am working on the rear, but since there are some issues about the parking brake, it might take me a bit of time to work it out. I will post about the rear as soon as I have an answer. Talk to you soon
Old 06-16-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by VictorT
Hey Carlos, how are those brakes working? I still have not seen any pictures!!! I am working on the rear, but since there are some issues about the parking brake, it might take me a bit of time to work it out. I will post about the rear as soon as I have an answer. Talk to you soon
Victor, my brakes KICK ***!!!

The car is a different beast, I can brake a LOT later than before, and turn-in response has dramatically improved!

Matter of fact, by my house on the 405 freeway there a few 270 degree on-ramps & off-ramps with off-camber decreasing radius turns that I have to go into differently now because I can now go into the turns much faster and brake later, this has been a VERY fun experience for me!!!

I need to get off of my *** and go do an autoX around here, so I can have some fun...Maybe spend a day at the next Willow Springs event??? :hmm:

I know I know, I gotta take pics and post a thread, I've been BUSY!!!