Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Umi LCA's, which ones?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Umi LCA's, which ones?

Im thinking about getting LCA's from UMI but am not sure which way to go. Im leaning towards the poly/rod. This is a daily driver which will see some track use. I was hoping to get a little better traction and handling. What are your opinions for a car thats gonna get mostly street use?
Old 06-13-2006, 10:23 PM
Launching!

Get those, I have the exact same ones and they are awesome. Took next to no time to install and are very nice quality pieces. The guys at UMI are great to deal with as well.

Jon
Old 06-14-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

Cool, Anyone else have opinions on lower control arms for a mostly street driven car?
Old 06-14-2006, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ericbigmac83
Cool, Anyone else have opinions on lower control arms for a mostly street driven car?
The poly/rod combination seems to be a good compromise between NVH and performance when it comes to rear LCA applications for mostly street driven cars.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought POLY can bind. I would go rod/rod
Old 09-18-2006, 01:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by coolformula
I thought POLY can bind. I would go rod/rod
Hello,

Yes polyurethane does and can bind when pushed to its limits. That is why we offer a compromise between the two. The rod/rod set us is excellent and works well, however many do not like this set-up since there vehicle is more street driven then anything. The poly/rod combo is the best bet for the street, the rod end helps to eliminate the rear end bind while the polyurethane bushings bolt to the chassis to help absorb any road nosies before they enter the passenger area. We usually always recommend this set-up on a street car exposed to some handling. They also offer adjustability if ever needed.

If I can help anymore please ask. Thank you!
Ryan

www.umiperformance.com/2016.aspx

Old 09-18-2006, 01:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Poly/rod is what I recommend and sell in most cases (UMI's no less). They cost more than all poly, but don't monkey with the roll stiffness and progression like all poly arms do.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-18-2006, 04:34 PM
11 Second Club

poly/rod ftw
Old 09-18-2006, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

The overall bind that would be present in a Poly/rod combo would be ~10% more than a rod/rod combo of the same or similar design.

From my experience, the only quality I don't like about poly in a bushing of that type would be it's creep (cold-flow) properties. It can take quite a while before it's obvious, but the reason I prefer a solid rubber is due to it's higher ratio of elsatic monomers, rather than the plasitcity of the mostly amorphous polyurethane.

Last edited by Foxxtron; 09-18-2006 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:16 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I can't quantify it. But it would be worse with in a boxed or tubular arm than with poly bushings in a stock arm (which itself will flex). But the difference is pretty large based on my experience. Again, I can't put a number on it but it's noticeable and significant.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-19-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

I like how my thread just opened all back up 3 months later, I think i am going with the UMI poly/rod LCA's....just as soon as my bank account starts going back in the positive direction, lol
Old 09-20-2006, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Hello,

Yes polyurethane does and can bind when pushed to its limits. That is why we offer a compromise between the two. The rod/rod set us is excellent and works well, however many do not like this set-up since there vehicle is more street driven then anything. The poly/rod combo is the best bet for the street, the rod end helps to eliminate the rear end bind while the polyurethane bushings bolt to the chassis to help absorb any road nosies before they enter the passenger area. We usually always recommend this set-up on a street car exposed to some handling. They also offer adjustability if ever needed.

If I can help anymore please ask. Thank you!
Ryan

www.umiperformance.com/2016.aspx

I got the same set and they are way noisier than stock. So bad i want to put the stockers back on. And before anyone even says it, they ARE tight. But they look nice and fit up perfectly with the UMI SFC's and PHB.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shudog
I got the same set and they are way noisier than stock. So bad i want to put the stockers back on. And before anyone even says it, they ARE tight. But they look nice and fit up perfectly with the UMI SFC's and PHB.
A few things to try. First and most important is make sure the rod end in sitting straight, or in other words not twisted to one side.. this can cause noise. Also make sure the jam nut is very tight. The last thing to try is adding a thick layer of Teflon tape to the rod end threads and screw them back into the control arm, this will tighten the threads and possibly cure the problem.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 09-22-2006, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
A few things to try. First and most important is make sure the rod end in sitting straight, or in other words not twisted to one side.. this can cause noise. Also make sure the jam nut is very tight. The last thing to try is adding a thick layer of Teflon tape to the rod end threads and screw them back into the control arm, this will tighten the threads and possibly cure the problem.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
I'll try that this weekend since after my LCA and PHR install ended up with a loud noisy rear-end. My LCA rod-ends are nearly sitting straight, might be a bit off.

I think a lot of the problem is from my PHR (body side) because the bolt had a messed up thread and I think it messed with my torque reading.

Quick Reply: Umi LCA's, which ones?