Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni help: Can't get the allen wrench in there.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Koni help: Can't get the allen wrench in there.

Hey guys don't flame me too hard. Got my Konis on today the window is facing me, but I can't get a allen in there too good. I have lost 3 allens and God knows where they fell too. I tried using some other tools but no workie. I got it about 3 clicks + but was going to max it up and back it off some....

So what size allen any tricks, it seems the spring is kinda in my way...
Old 06-14-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

The spring is a bitch to get around. I set mine full then backed off 3 when i changed springs. I've only been able to adjust disassembled.
Hawk
Old 06-14-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Regular

I thought koni's had a **** on the top of the stock tower in the engine bay for adjustment?
Old 06-14-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jorgez28
I thought koni's had a **** on the top of the stock tower in the engine bay for adjustment?
Not an 'F' body. Rears are adjustable from inside the car.
Hawk
Old 06-14-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I was going to adjust before I had them put on..but been so busy this week didn't have time. I got it out of the shop today...there turned good to see, but its too hard to get allen in there. I have lost 3 craftsmen allens today. And had a tiny screwdriver and broke it.

So I have no idea what there set at and there both different since I have adjusted one.

maybe if I get a longer allen wrench. The rease I paid out of the butt to get these is to play with them..and if I go to the track I can't adjust them its too dang hard to adjust weekly if you go to the track etc(which I don't but...)
Old 06-15-2006, 08:01 AM
TECH Junkie

If you're breaking allen wrenches, you're doing it wrong. Try it this way:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....8&postcount=21

As for getting between the coils, what I typically do is jack up the car, get it on jack stands, remove the wheel, then use a jack to move the lower A-arm until I get good clearance between coils.

-Mike
Old 06-15-2006, 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

On the F body, what you need to do prior to removing the stock shock is to examine exactly where the corresponding coil space lies in relationship to the top portion of the shock, then when you put the Koni into the strut you need to orient the shock adjustment window such that it falls between this space (the adjustment window can be rotated until the spring is fully released from the spring compressor).

This may cause the adjustment area to be slightly turned to the left or right of center and it may not face directly outboard of the car.

One of mine is facing slightly toward the rear, and the other slightly toward the front, approx. 10 degrees or so.

It makes it much easier to adjust.

Just my $.02
Old 06-15-2006, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
If you're breaking allen wrenches, you're doing it wrong. Try it this way:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....8&postcount=21

As for getting between the coils, what I typically do is jack up the car, get it on jack stands, remove the wheel, then use a jack to move the lower A-arm until I get good clearance between coils.

-Mike

I'm not breaking them. I broke a small screwdriver.

I got these to be adjustable. Jacking the car up removing wheels is not my mind of adjustablitiy or removing the A-arm.

There nto facing straight out but at angles...there just hard to get too.

I guess I got konis and just about to leave them on whatever sitting they came with...this is a lot of dang trouble. Maybe I should have just went with revlaves again. I got these to adjust. Well the back ones you take half the back carpet out to get to them. And the front you need to remove ur a arm or take the strut back out....not my idea of easy adjustabliity.

I just never read how hard they are to adjust.....
Old 06-15-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by coolformula
I'm not breaking them. I broke a small screwdriver.

I got these to be adjustable. Jacking the car up removing wheels is not my mind of adjustablitiy or removing the A-arm.

There nto facing straight out but at angles...there just hard to get too.

I guess I got konis and just about to leave them on whatever sitting they came with...this is a lot of dang trouble. Maybe I should have just went with revlaves again. I got these to adjust. Well the back ones you take half the back carpet out to get to them. And the front you need to remove ur a arm or take the strut back out....not my idea of easy adjustabliity.

I just never read how hard they are to adjust.....
First off, there are two perforated squares in the carpet behind the back seat that can be punched through to access the tops of the rear shocks. These will be covered by the back seat when it's up. If you've removed the back seat, just attach a couple of pieces of velcro the carpet squares to "latch" them back into place.

Also, I never said anything about removing an a-arm. If you put a jack under the a-arm, you can pivot it up and down, compressing and decompressing the coils on the spring. This will get the coils out of the way. I guess I assumed you had the adjustment windows facing outward. If you don't, they're going to be very hard to reach. You probably don't NEED to remove the wheels, I just find it easier that way. If you can fit your arm in the wheel well and adjust it from there, great. I'm running Hotchkis springs, so there isn't enough clearance to do it that way for me. I don't need to put mine on jack stands either. I could just jack up the front of the car from the K-member, find a "sweet spot" where I can get my arms in and the coils aren't in the way, and adjust them. I just don't trust floor jacks that much. With my luck, the jack would fail and my arm would get crushed between the wheel and fender well.

I know you're frustrated, but it's really not that hard. If you can't reach the adjustment windows, you need to turn the shock body so you can. It took a little doing when I installed mine, but I got them facing outward enough that I can work in there. I promise, using the short end of a 2.5mm allen wrench in the adjustment hole and using the tail for leverage works and will turn the adjuster very easily.

-Mike
Old 06-15-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. I"m am frustarted at my car not you guys.

The window is fine where it is..on both of them..

I'm going have to go buy another sit of allens since I lost mine...and try using the picture in the other thread.

When I get off work I'm going to harbor freight to get some cheap allen wrenches(since I done lost 3 craftsman) and try it again at home...until I get these adjusted...I think I'll try a piece of thread in case they fall I'll be able to get them back this time.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I assumed you had the adjustment windows facing outward. If you don't, they're going to be very hard to reach. You probably don't NEED to remove the wheels, I just find it easier that way. If you can fit your arm in the wheel well and adjust it from there, great.
-Mike
My window for the right front was facing the back so yes it was difficult but I was still able to adjust it, and also it made it TON's easier when I removed the tire.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey guys. Thanks for all the patience and Sams tips. I used that picture too. Anway I lost 4 allens went to orellys where friends work finally got a long 2.5m and took a deep breath and did both struts..in about 5 mins...
wow that easy, after I calmed down and got the right tool and figured out the best way to use it.

Thansk everybody....

How does everybody runs the front?

Rear?

I think I got it pretty good just looking to see whats popular around here.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

I'm running my fronts at 5, and rears at 8. Its a fairly comfortable ride, a little bouncy, but not noticable enough to be annoying. The car handles ridiculously fantastic, but I'm wondering if anyone out there runs their settings stiffer and still likes them, because I might just so that later on...
Old 06-16-2006, 07:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Glad to hear you got everything worked out.

I run my fronts at 4 sweeps from full firm, and the backs at 1.5 turns from full soft. It rides well on the street, and I've always preferred a bit firmer ride.

-Mike
Old 06-16-2006, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Let me see if this is right..increasing the rear shock damping makes the rear end more tail happy correct guys?

Koni's are cool! Sams Bars are cool too.

My set up:

Konis
Sams Bars
Lower perch&hose mod
STB

Thinking of panhard bar what you guys though on that. I don't really understand what aftermarkert panhard would do...would it make the rear end more tail happy...
Old 06-16-2006, 08:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Thinking of panhard bar what you guys though on that. I don't really understand what aftermarkert panhard would do...would it make the rear end more tail happy..."

Aftermarket PHR is for adjustability if you are lowered so you can center the rear end. It also helps deflection in high load cornering.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ht=panhard+rod
Old 06-16-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

Glad to hear you got everything worked out.

I run my fronts at 4 sweeps from full firm, and the backs at 1.5 turns from full soft. It rides well on the street, and I've always preferred a bit firmer ride.

-Mike

Hey Mike, do you know how many sweeps total for the fronts?

I finally went 4 sweeps from full soft, made my car feel TON's better, and maybe I should stiffen it up some more...:hmm:

Apparently my fronts were at full soft, so the 4 sweeps up helped tremendously.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Carlos01SS
Hey Mike, do you know how many sweeps total for the fronts?

I finally went 4 sweeps from full soft, made my car feel TON's better, and maybe I should stiffen it up some more...:hmm:

Apparently my fronts were at full soft, so the 4 sweeps up helped tremendously.
I'm pretty sure it's 8 sweeps from stop to stop.

-Mike
Old 06-16-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

-Mike

Okay so I'm at halfway then, good stuff...She's really doing well with the fronts set at 4. I have the rears set at 3 full sweeps, but I'm pretty sure they're blown

I figure I'll replace the rears with the SA's and go from there, that'll be a while from now.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

-Mike
can somebody confirm this? I have my fronts at 6 sweeps and it is a little chopy for my liking.........if 8 sweeps is max this would explain why.

Quick Reply: Koni help: Can't get the allen wrench in there.