Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Y does my car brake like its going over very seperated small speed bumps?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Y does my car brake like its going over very seperated small speed bumps?

when ever i hit the brakes latelty when i get it down to like 20 mph and under it feels like part of the rotor is missing its like, go,slow,go,slow. when i keep the same amount of brake pressure. is it called "bucking"? do i haev to change rotors or pads or anything? 24,000 miles on my brakes now
Old 07-18-2006, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like warped rotors. That's what I recently had to deal with. Supposedly stock GM rotors are notorious for warping, though I don't see why.

24,000 miles seems a bit low for warped rotors though, so I could be wrong. If it is indeed the rotors, your options would be to have them turned or to buy new ones. Turning rotors would cost you between $50-100 probably, depending on where you get them done. Buying new ones would obviously be pricier.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:57 PM
Banned

Sounds to me like your rotors are warped. Basically you either need to have the rotors "turned" or just get new rotors. For the price difference, and factoring in that the issue will most likely occur again with the stock units, your best bet is to just get aftermarket rotors. There are plenty available, my car has high performance cross-drilled rotors for better heat dissipation, and I've been very satisfied with them.

It's not your driving style that causes them to warp, the stock brakes are one of the top complaints about F-bodys, just about all of them end up with warped rotors soon after being new.

Just go with a nice aftermarket setup, and I'm sure you will be much better off.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen them warped in under 7,500 miles. The stock rotors seem to be an inferior casting that warps easily.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

my car has extended warranty, im goign to go complain my *** off tommrow! and if thats dosent work ill get slotted rotors
Old 07-18-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2002/Black/SS
my car has extended warranty, im goign to go complain my *** off tommrow! and if thats dosent work ill get slotted rotors
And the slotted ones will wear out just as fast.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
And the slotted ones will wear out just as fast.
Why do you say that? To stop my warping problem, I bought Duralast rotors from autozone and now I have a horrid squeaking problem that several brake shops haven't been able to fix.

After spending a couple hundred bucks total on trying to fix the squeaking, I'm about to say the hell with it and buy some Baer drilled and slotted rotors from autozone for $250.

But you say those will warp just as easily? Why?
Old 07-18-2006, 11:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TtamNedlog
Why do you say that? To stop my warping problem, I bought Duralast rotors from autozone and now I have a horrid squeaking problem that several brake shops haven't been able to fix.

After spending a couple hundred bucks total on trying to fix the squeaking, I'm about to say the hell with it and buy some Baer drilled and slotted rotors from autozone for $250.

But you say those will warp just as easily? Why?
I think he was referring to the stock rotors being slotted.

A good set of aftermarket rotors (like Baer) should have no issues with warping at all.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:20 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Domestic Demon
high performance cross-drilled rotors for better heat dissipation

Here is some reading:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/477787-need-help-explain-slotted-drilled-rotors.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/511109-time-brakes.html
(this list could get really long, but I'll stop here.)

Originally Posted by Domestic Demon
A good set of aftermarket rotors (like Baer) should have no issues with warping at all.
They may have a problem with cracking though.
Check about the above threads.

Originally Posted by TtamNedlog
I have a horrid squeaking problem that several brake shops haven't been able to fix.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/308393-brake-squeeling.html
Old 07-19-2006, 10:24 AM
12 Second Club

If you have the extended warranty the dealer will most likely just turn them I had mine turned under warranty at about 11K miles.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:30 PM
11 Second Club

Even if the dealer doesn't take care of it...turning them costs $10/ea if you have a Murray's Discount Auto nearby. I opted to buy the Autozone Duralast 2-year warranty rotors for $35ea though.

$20 to fix yours.
$70 to buy new ones.

Just be wary of Murray's...I've had them tell me they couldn't turn my rotors because they were warped. When I asked him why else I'd get my rotors turned, he didn't really have anything to say.. lol
Old 07-19-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Apprentice