Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

subframe connectors - would they help in a bad car accident?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default subframe connectors, would they help in a bad car accident

would subframe connectors help in a bad car crash i know this is kind of a wiered question but wouldnt they help keep teh cabin rigid?
Old 07-30-2006, 01:38 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

You might get a better response in the Handling & Braking section.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:34 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you mean will it let the chassis twist less? probably, but it's like a band-aid on a bullet wound. it's kinda like is it fucked in the *** or just fucked? either way, it's still fucked. not the most eloquent way of saying it, but...
Old 07-30-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

band aid on a bullet wound huh?....hey itll keep that blood in when you get popped somewhere nice....for a bit
Old 07-30-2006, 05:31 PM
12 Second Club

sub frames are to keep your chassis rigid during hard launches, they will not do anything for your car if you get into an accident. thats like usinga bullet proof vest against a missle....ya it may do something but your still fucked!!!!!
Old 07-30-2006, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

I'd imagine they'd probably be worse than not having them in at all. It's gonna put more force on the car that hit you, and if the chassis doesn't flex, that's more energy being funneled into your meat-bag of a body
Old 07-30-2006, 06:12 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by YellowMonster87
thats like usinga bullet proof vest against a missle....ya it may do something but your still fucked!!!!!
my anaolgy was better
Old 07-30-2006, 08:58 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by Smoke Panther
that's more energy being funneled into your meat-bag of a body
Thats not neccssarily true.
Keeping the chasis rigid in the area of the passenger compartment is a good thing. Modern cars are designed so that the front and rear will crumple while the passenger compartment stays intact and often the doors are still openable. Now whether SFCs will enhance or inhibit this, I do not know. Its possible that they may make the passenger compartment more rigid and help in the event of a severe accident. Conversely, they may cause forces that would normally travel under the car to enter the passenger compartment. I dont know which would happen and I dont know if any studies have been done.

Last edited by VIP1; 07-31-2006 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:21 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
my anaolgy was better
you wish!!! but i give you an A for effort keep up the great work
Old 07-31-2006, 06:20 PM
Launching!

Yeah isnt going to help the front or rear that much lol
Old 07-31-2006, 09:09 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

VIP1 is on the right track. I think the logic might be flawed. A stiffer chassis with subframe connectors would create a stronger structure, true. But this stronger shell would mean that energy that would otherwise be absorbed from the body contorting would be spent creating movement of the vehicle. I am thinking of this kinda like a spray can when you shake it. The little ball inside is bouncing all around the stiff containing structure. I think it is more likely to cause occupant damage. After all race car drivers use 5 point harnesses, specific seats, HANS devices and helmets for a reason.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:07 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Here is the corresponding thread in the Handling & Braking section:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/550428-subframe-connectors-would-they-help-bad-car-accident.html
Old 08-03-2006, 09:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by VIP1
Thats not neccssarily true.
Keeping the chasis rigid in the area of the passenger compartment is a good thing. Modern cars are designed so that the front and rear will crumple while the passenger compartment stays intact and often the doors are still openable. Now whether SFCs will enhance or inhibit this, I do not know. Its possible that they may make the passenger compartment more rigid and help in the event of a severe accident. Conversely, they may cause forces that would normally travel under the car to enter the passenger compartment. I dont know which would happen and I dont know if any studies have been done.
bingo. i know where there's a gorgeous ws6 sitting that had a front end collision that actually wouldn't have been all that bad, but it had weld in subframes and the car's unrepairable do to them transfering the force through the rest of the car instead of the "crumple zones" taking the blow. seeing this definitely changed my mind about sfc's. if it was a pure race car i'd do it, but my car spends 98% of it's time on the road where there's always that chance...
Old 08-04-2006, 08:26 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by hallass
bingo. i know where there's a gorgeous ws6 sitting that had a front end collision that actually wouldn't have been all that bad, but it had weld in subframes and the car's unrepairable do to them transfering the force through the rest of the car instead of the "crumple zones" taking the blow. seeing this definitely changed my mind about sfc's. if it was a pure race car i'd do it, but my car spends 98% of it's time on the road where there's always that chance...
The car may still have been unrepairable even without the SFCs. There is no way of knowing without computer modeling and scientific back-to-back testing. But since they aren't producing any more 4th gen f-bodies, crushing a bunch to answer this question is not the best idea. Until actual testing is done and proof is presented, all this speculation and opinions are just that, speculations and opinions.

Quick Reply: subframe connectors - would they help in a bad car accident?