Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
View Poll Results: Should I get the STB?
Yea, its a nice little add on
80.00%
Hell no you crazy POS go somewhere else
20.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

STB worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STB worth it?

Just wondering if a STB is really worth even spending the money on. The installation and price is nice but I mean if you get nothing out of it then why even waste the money on it. I've got a chance to get a BMR in nearly perfect condition for a good price but didn't want to waste my money on it if most are dissappointed by them. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2006, 07:12 AM
TECH Resident

it's alright...it'll help, but your car won't be a handling-machine after installing it. I didn't notice a difference when I put mine in...only reason i bought it was cuz it was at a good price and i wanted to help a friend out.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I feel that it made a nice improvement. I borrowed one from a friend and tried it before taking the plunge. If you don't have a friend to borrow one from then just get one as they are reasonably inexpensive.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:37 PM
Launching!

I don't think so. Save your money, get shocks.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got one from a UMI G.P, it matches my car almost perfectly and it looks good.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

See I'm not really worried about looks under the hood so that makes me no difference I'm really just wanting a SOTP difference in the handling of the car but didn't know if this would offer that or not. I'm thinking I may just wait and get some bolt/weld in SFC's instead since they aren't a whole lot more and I've yet to see anything but good comments on them. Good idea or should I wait till I have some more mods under my belt?
Old 08-02-2006, 12:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go for it dude. if nothing else you can have peace of mine that its reducing some flex
Old 08-02-2006, 08:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This would be one of those mods that you spent money on and it works because you want it to work. I noticed no difference with it on or off, so I sold mine to reduce weight.

If you want better handling look into some bigger sway bars and different shocks/springs.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

So will subframe connectors not do the trick either?? Almost every post I've read said that they couldn't believe how much difference they made. Shocks are out of my price range right now and I haven't really looked into sway bars much as far as the pros/cons go and how much they run but maybe they're worth looking into (I always had the impression if you didn't Auto-X the stockers were fine) Our '74 has a completely tubular front end under it and some kind of adjustable shocks (can't remember the brand) and I love the way it feels and it doesn't have sfc's yet but it feels like a sled on rails taking turns at any speed. I guess the thing I really hate about the handling on my car is all the body roll I get in pretty much any turn that I'm not just "poking along" if that makes any sense.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:46 PM
10 Second Club

Get the SFCs first.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:53 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,688 Likes on 1,209 Posts

SFCs should be done first, if money is a concern.

But the STB is still worth it, IMO. I've had both the Hotchkis and the BMR unit. The Hotchkis one didn't seem to make any difference, but the BMR one did. Only a slight improvement though, certainly nothing drastic.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

From what I have gathered, it will help as much as the SFC - little if any. I have one on mine because I am not worried about the extra weight or money and it looks cool.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:21 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,688 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by WADDISME
From what I have gathered, it will help as much as the SFC - little if any.
Since when do SFCs "help little if any" ?

I've always noticed a considerably stiffer feel to the chassis after putting SFCs on a 4th gen. IMO, they are a must.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

I think mine helped stabilization to take a little more 'boat roll' out of the car when cornering, especially if you have factory shocks. Only time one is really necessary is when you are seriously drag racing and pulling the wheels off the ground a good ways. They help stabalize the towers and support the front end when it dead-drops ... IMHO.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:54 PM
12 Second Club

I also say definitely go with SFC's. I installed my UMI Bolt On/Weld On SFC's yesterday after work. Great price on a Byunspeed sale and installation took all of 10 minutes (though I have free access to an alignment rack which helps) First off, I'm a professional mechanic and do driveability diag's all day long so I have a pretty good feel for chassis dynamics while driving. These things made a world of difference. The car feels much more rigid, much more stable over obstacles, and rear stays planted alot better when getting on it cause the car isn't getting all torqued out. Some other pleasant things I noticed. When shifting while driving hard, I noticed a difference in how easy the gears were to hit, especially 3rd. I attribute this to the fact that the transmission tailshaft isn't absorbing as much of the force of acceleration/deceleration as it was. I still plan to get a new crossmember with TA relocation soon. I also want to weld these in place, but our welder is down at work. As far as STB's go, I do not have one yet. I may get one just to throw on for AutoX'ing and leave it off for drag. I know it does make a big difference on some model cars, but I've honestly never driven an Fbody with one so I can't say on these.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

SFC make a huge difference. Not only can you feel the difference, my dash would "itch" before them. I bolted on the STB at the same time, but I really doubt it makes a big difference. At work we have collected loads on W-cars with STB and there is almost not load being trasferred thru it.

I wouldn't doubt you would notice shift feel difference with SFC; stock shifter I didn't. What make the biggest improvement in shift feel for me was installing poly engine mounts.

Brian
Old 08-07-2006, 01:16 PM
Teching In

I just bougt the UMI SFC's bolt/weld on and STB and will put them on this weekend. Is there any drilling required for the SFC? I have a 98 TA.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

First thing you should do is SHOCKS. If your not wanting to spend alot of money a STB is 90 and you can get a front sway bar for little bit more. The SB will be the pants difference only trumpied by the shocks IHMO...thanks
Old 08-08-2006, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

Using a Hotchkis STB here.. Came with the car when I bought it..

When I did my LS6 intake... I forgot to put the STB back on .. I drove around for a week with out it, and I could tell something was a little different with the car in tight right hand turns..

I realized i forgot about the STB.. put it back on.. and I can feel the slight difference it makes.. Its not a huge "wow my car is on rails" feeling, but definately tightens things up a bit.

I cant say do it or not, because I dont know what you use your car for..
Old 08-08-2006, 07:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GATORS98TA
I just bougt the UMI SFC's bolt/weld on and STB and will put them on this weekend. Is there any drilling required for the SFC? I have a 98 TA.
Nope absolutely no drilling, grinding or cutting required when installing our SFC's

Ryan