Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Please help with car shaking and pulling

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 07:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Default Please help with car shaking and pulling

I need some help here everyone. For about the last month I've been fighting a neverending battle with my car. I noticed my car started pull to the left, and shake at highway speeds 70+ MPH, so I looked into it and found the passenger top balljoint was shot. So I replaced that and got the front end alligned. That helped it alot, but it didn't fix it.

My car will still pull to the left, and it still shakes at around 75+ mph. It's not as bad as it was before, but regardless it sucks. I took the car back to the shop for the alignment, and everything is ok. They say the car should be pulling to the right if anything. They also say my tires could be the cause of the situation. But the car still shakes and pulls if I switch the tires around.

So I went to a different shop, they say everything the last shop did. With the added bonus of saying I might have to bend the strut to stop the car from pulling.

Does anyone have an idea? I have not hit anything with this car.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is your tires that are causing the problem, you will still have the problem even if you switch them around because the cause of it is still there. I just went through this with my '93 Silverado. My tires were "knobby" in the front. We tried switching them to the rear and it didn't fix it. Eventually I just bought a new set of rims and tires off of a new Tahoe and it rides like it's brand new. Makes me even think about keeping it a little longer.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:26 AM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

hmmm, maybe I will have to go get some tires now. I figured the tires from the rear would be even and would fix the problem.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:33 PM
Launching!

if you can do me a favor i could help..first the shake will not be fixed by an alignment ..alignment will not cause or fix a shake or a noise ..this sounds like a tire problem [bad tire]or balance problem..if you could put the tires back on the front and then swap them left to right see if the car pulls the oppsite way..if the car pulls the other way[follows the tire] it's in the tire itself..anybody that says anything about bending a strut to fix a pull never go back there again run from that place as fast as you can ..good luck clint
Old 08-30-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Yeah when they said they wanted to bend the strut I did not agree at all. I'll try the tire switch again, see if it pulls to the right then. Maybe I'll get some rims at the same time I get tires...hmmm
Old 08-30-2006, 11:09 AM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Well I switched the tires around, and now it pulls the opposite direction! Guess I'll be going to Tire Rack tomorrow for new tires.

Oh btw, directional tires mounted backwards loose traction and leave lots of rubber behind lol
Old 08-30-2006, 08:23 PM
Launching!

ok my friend so you have a tire pull[problem with the tire maybe a shifted belt or something wrong inside the tire]but its was a tire problem not an alignment problem !...good luck...with your new tires and rims...
Old 08-31-2006, 09:23 AM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Just got some Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 on, car does not shake anymore! It's nice and smooth, still seems to pull but oh so lightly. I'm guessing it has to do with grooves in the road. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Please help with car shaking and pulling