Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Torque Arm: Transmission Mounted vs Tunnel Mounted

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 04:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Torque Arm: Transmission Mounted vs Tunnel Mounted

Any real differences in how a tranny mounted T.A. will work as opposed to a tunnel mounted T.A. in the long run? I know that the tunnel mounted one has a better design by decreasing the likelyhood of damage. But we want to run TSP true duals on my brothers T/A and know that the tunnel mount will not work with them.

Is it worth going with a tunnel mounted arm and sticking with the Y-Pipe setup.....or just getting a transmission mounted arm and going true dual. This car will see more street abuse than track. Just looking for opinions. Thanks!

-Graycen
Old 10-02-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for drag racing i would imagine that you wanna get the TA off the tranny and on to the crossmember.

if you are coming out of the hole nasty and hard then you def wanna not run the stock TA, and get an upgraded one that gets it off the tranny.

some mount to the subframes, some mount to the crossmember.

if you are doing this for drag racing, get one that mounts off the tranny, i have personally transmission cases bend because of a stock TA and a nasty launch.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

in any situation you want it off the tranny be it per what jdoyle said.

go to umi's page and check out thier slew of ways to relocate. I personally will be running the tunnel mounted setup for Mac Mids Y.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

last wk on the dyno my trans tailshaft broke.Well I figured I would just upgrade to a fully built tranny.When the new tranny was installed we put it back on the dyno and what do you the same thing happened.So I ordered a BMR relocation bracket and poly trans mount and had the drivesfaft balanced.The relocation bracket that will be taking the tourque arm off the trans is whats gonna solve the problems the other stuff cuz was there anyways.Well lookin the auto section I posted a thread abut this last wk(tailshaft keeps breaking).It may help you decide
Old 10-02-2006, 07:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I hated all the noise of the tranny mounted ta so I pulled it off and sold it. I plan on getting a Spohn tranny mounted one in the near future.

Last edited by INMY01TA; 10-02-2006 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Transmission torque arm + relocation.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:42 PM
11 Second Club

I have TSP duals and I use these:
http://umiperformance.com/2205.aspx
http://umiperformance.com/2207.aspx
Great setup! The relocation bracket is a MUST IMO.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Was wondering the same myself. Anybody have anything good or bad to say between the differences in the UMI relocation bracket and the BMR one? UMI is $10 cheaper and uses square tubing compared to BMR's round tubing and BMR's has ana adjustable pivot point. Anything else?

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/misc/TCC006.jpg
Old 10-02-2006, 10:44 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Transmission mounted T.A on my HOSS and a tunnel mounted on my Z28. One seems to be a little more ridgid than the other. I like the trans mounted one better for driving around town.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RAZRS EDGE
Any real differences in how a tranny mounted T.A. will work as opposed to a tunnel mounted T.A. in the long run? I know that the tunnel mounted one has a better design by decreasing the likelyhood of damage. But we want to run TSP true duals on my brothers T/A and know that the tunnel mount will not work with them.

Is it worth going with a tunnel mounted arm and sticking with the Y-Pipe setup.....or just getting a transmission mounted arm and going true dual. This car will see more street abuse than track. Just looking for opinions. Thanks!

-Graycen
Hello,

There is really no down falls to running a long transmission mounted torque arm, they work very nice and do the job good. The only issues that this can cause is under loads they can tear the clamshell or bend it and even at some point break the tail shaft. These are not usually issues until the vehicle is seeing 10.50's in the 1/4.. some have bent the clamshell up earlier but thats a good starting point. As for 60' times, we have actually found the transmission mounted arms to cut just as good or better times on the "slower" middle horsepower cars.. mostly 10.50's and slower.

If you want to run a dual system such as the TSP Set-up a transmission mounted arm is pretty much a must do to clearance. Our set-up will actually allow you to tuck the TSP system up tighter and offers additional clearance. Below is a few pictures of our torque arm installed with a TSP system. If you have any questions please ask. The second picture shows our torque arm relocation kit installed as well. This allows you to remove the torque arm from the transmission but still run this dual set-up. Thank you Ryan

Old 10-03-2006, 10:00 AM
11 Second Club

I cant speak for UMI because Ihavent had any of there products. but I can tell you I had a BMR TA. It was about 2 years old and it broke into peices on friday...Got ahold of lee @BMR and they took care of me. Sent be a updated version and covered shipping. Other then that one issue, never had anything go wrong with the lower control arms or anything else from them.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

Question

I'm confused. What are you showing in the first pic that offers more dual exhaust clearance? All I see is the torque arm mounted to the tranny.

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Hello,

There is really no down falls to running a long transmission mounted torque arm, they work very nice and do the job good. The only issues that this can cause is under loads they can tear the clamshell or bend it and even at some point break the tail shaft. These are not usually issues until the vehicle is seeing 10.50's in the 1/4.. some have bent the clamshell up earlier but thats a good starting point. As for 60' times, we have actually found the transmission mounted arms to cut just as good or better times on the "slower" middle horsepower cars.. mostly 10.50's and slower.

If you want to run a dual system such as the TSP Set-up a transmission mounted arm is pretty much a must do to clearance. Our set-up will actually allow you to tuck the TSP system up tighter and offers additional clearance. Below is a few pictures of our torque arm installed with a TSP system. If you have any questions please ask. The second picture shows our torque arm relocation kit installed as well. This allows you to remove the torque arm from the transmission but still run this dual set-up. Thank you Ryan
Old 10-04-2006, 07:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HavATampa
I'm confused. What are you showing in the first pic that offers more dual exhaust clearance? All I see is the torque arm mounted to the tranny.
Yes, the first picture and the second picture both show our tranmission mounted torque arm installed with a TSP dual system. The starter of this thread was looking for a torque arm that clears with the TSP sytem, ours actually offers addtional clearance over the factory one. The second picture shows this same torque arm installed with a relocation kit, which also clears just fine.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 10-04-2006, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies guys!

And thanks for the help, Ryan. You will be hearing from me shortly to order a few parts!

-Graycen
Old 10-04-2006, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think the general consenses is that you want a Relocated TA if you are mainly interested in Drag Racing, but you want the stock length trans mounted TA if you want to Road Race. The mean reason for it been that the shorter TA improves traction from a standstill but will cause brake hop when braking hard at a Road Course. The longer TA is not as prone to Brake hop. I have a Trans Tunnel mounted TA, and other than the clucking noises when accelerating and braking it has worked well even at the Road Course however I do run street pads in the rear with Aggressive Race Compound Pads in the fronts to keep more front brake bias and avoid brake hop. If you want the best of both worlds a set up like this will work great: http://www.unbalancedengineering.com/Camaro/TA/
Old 10-04-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Well, it seems as though the mounts shown from UMI and BMR would be the best of both worlds then. You can keep the longer stock style TA and still be able to mount it away from the tranny. I didn't realize this mount existed until this thread. I thought all the TA mounts were meant for the shorter TA's. Thanks for the info guys.

Originally Posted by Killer_Bluebird
I think the general consenses is that you want a Relocated TA if you are mainly interested in Drag Racing, but you want the stock length trans mounted TA if you want to Road Race. The mean reason for it been that the shorter TA improves traction from a standstill but will cause brake hop when braking hard at a Road Course. The longer TA is not as prone to Brake hop. I have a Trans Tunnel mounted TA, and other than the clucking noises when accelerating and braking it has worked well even at the Road Course however I do run street pads in the rear with Aggressive Race Compound Pads in the fronts to keep more front brake bias and avoid brake hop. If you want the best of both worlds a set up like this will work great: http://www.unbalancedengineering.com/Camaro/TA/

Last edited by HavATampa; 10-04-2006 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

fwiw, i have a chassis mounted spohn TA and im fed up with it already. i got rid of my duals for it. i miss my duals. i just recently (the other day) purchased the relocation kit and the torque arm. im thinking its going to be better than my current setup because my exhaust wont hang on it anymore. no more banging...i hope!
Old 10-05-2006, 11:19 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Question here for a 9".
Put the 9" in so I could launch. Do I need now to get a trans mount relocation bracket and an adj TA or will my pinion angle be ok with the stock TA.
I understand about getting the load off the tail shaft but I'm not looking at 10's just yet. Hopefull to hit 10 though with a heavy shot.

ALso what about vibration or noise with the trans mount relocation bracket. Want to keep long ta, do not want tunnel mount. Have LT's and a catted Y.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would imagine you'd get the same amount of noise with the ta relocation bracket that you would with a tunnnel mounted ta.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

id think a bit more than stock, but less than a chassis mounted one.

Quick Reply: Torque Arm: Transmission Mounted vs Tunnel Mounted