32.61%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

UMI, Sphon, BMR

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 04:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default UMI, Sphon, BMR

Hey guys, I am at a dilema. Im going to be workin on beffin up my rear end, drivetrain, chassis, suspension, etc and im not sure what products to go with and if they can be mix-matched. So far i have BMR's upper panhard relocation kit (BMR is the only one to make that right?) and BMR's SFC. Lately i keep hearing good things from UMI and Sphon so im wondering is there really a difference? Id like to have all my parts matching for looks purpose, so im just posting a poll on what u all think would be the best product to go with. As far as i know, there isnt really a difference, but i dont know that much. thanks
Old 10-10-2006, 06:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unbalanced Engineering makes a really nice PHB relocation kit.

Based upon experience and having all 3 of those manufacturer's parts on 3 different cars, I would go with UMI for 1 reason ...

Ryan at UMI.

Ryan is very proactive in making changes to meet customer's needs. He is very active on the boards, helping folks. He is very mopen to criticism and actively encourages feedback so that UMI products can be better.

UMI parts and LGMotorsports parts are the only 2 manufacturer's I would consider.

Opinions vary.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:12 AM
TECH Junkie

I agree 100% with Mitch's comments above.

Ryan at UMI and Louis at LG are great guys. Both have gone out of their way to help me in the past and therefore I wouldn't hesitate for a second to recommend either very highly.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I recommend and use Spohn for the same reasons above...Although Steve and Gordon are not active on the boards they are a pleasure to deal with. I've been to and frequent their shop and Steve makes some great products...I'm sure you cant go wrong with either of the companies you listed...

--Alan
Old 10-10-2006, 10:29 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Spohn...
Old 10-10-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

spohn lol
Old 10-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BirdmanLS1
Hey guys, I am at a dilema. Im going to be workin on beffin up my rear end, drivetrain, chassis, suspension, etc and im not sure what products to go with and if they can be mix-matched. So far i have BMR's upper panhard relocation kit (BMR is the only one to make that right?) and BMR's SFC. Lately i keep hearing good things from UMI and Sphon so im wondering is there really a difference? Id like to have all my parts matching for looks purpose, so im just posting a poll on what u all think would be the best product to go with. As far as i know, there isnt really a difference, but i dont know that much. thanks

UMI.. ..I JUST GOT A TA FROM THEM AND I LIKE IT ...
GREAT SERVICE TOO...
Old 10-10-2006, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

BMR. I just got a TA and I'm very happy with it.

I really don't think it make much of a difference because everyone that has a part is happy with it, for the most part. There are rare cases.

esli ramirez says UMI has great customer support.
Urban Legend says Spohn has great customer support.
I say BMR has great customer support.

I've also heard complaints about all three and others so its a total craps shoot.

You'll be happy with whatever parts you buy, most likely.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

awesome, ya thats what i thought. I pretty much thought all the manufactures were good products. Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:52 PM
TECH Junkie

one reason i would go for UMI(especially) or spohn is they have experience and reputation in road racing and road racing is generally much harder on many suspension parts then general road use or drag use.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm not sure I agree with that 100%. But, road racing is definitely a torture test.

I've seen a lot of broken torque arms from a hard launch at the tree. I was at the shop when Lou warrantied a broken LGM torque arm, knowing that the car had a 12bolt in it.

By the same token, I've seen the snout of a Spohn torque arm snap under brake induced wheel hop.

It's the shock that breaks stuff.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Restricted User

My vote goes to UMI
Dale
Old 10-10-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

either UMI or spohn cant go wrong, ive seen both companies warranty their products (torque arms specifically) that have broken then sent back a tougher redesigned product
Old 10-10-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Resident

Ok so im not getting alot of feedback from BMR. Is there a reason for this?
Old 10-10-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

no just not many people have it, there was an incident a week or so ago where bmr did the same with a product
Old 10-11-2006, 11:29 AM
12 Second Club

I have all kinds of BMR stuff. I love it. Loos really nice and was a good price. You can ususally get the stuff at 15% off and free shipping so they have some deals.

As for quality I can't say anything about the others but BMR stuff is very sturdy, the welds are clean and well done. Powder coat is great. All in all they are a great product on my opinion. I've never one had a problem with any of the stuff in my car, listed in the sig, and if I ever did I'm sure Lee @ BMR would be right there to help me out. You gotta remember that when you read about problems the person posting the problem is usually angry and shots his mouth off for no reason. Then the manufacturer comes in and helps out.

I plan on doing a full BMR suspension with pretty much EVERY part they make for my car. I've been 100% happy with them.

About 2 weeks ago they anonunced they had a 20% off clearance on the colored powder coated parts they have in stock, they are switching to a 1 color line. I sent an email, called and even looked online for a torque arm and it didn't appear they had what I wanted in stock at the 20% off. So I ordered one at full price and then Lee found a few that qualify for the 20% off. I was a little mad because I just paid full price, PM'ed him and he instantly gave me a refund. Not a great story but he helped me out the best way he could.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:29 PM
10 Second Club

I vote for BMR. Not that the others aren't great too but I just really like BMR Xtreme line of parts. Very well made! All 3 have good customer support so go with what catches your eye and I don't think either has a crappy product so you should be safe.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
Spohn...

Sphon!!!

Got the Tubular LCA's and PHB with Polly ends!!! Great Product!!!
Old 10-12-2006, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

i've got all BMR products and they have all been top notch. i can't say anying thing about the others, i'm sure they are high quality too.

only part i don't have is a panhard rod since i'm not lowered yet.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:18 PM
TECH Resident

Good to hear some good feedback from BMR customers. Well since i already have a few BMR products, i think ill just stick with them so everything matches. Im gettin LCA's and PHB next. Thanks guys.