Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What torque arm for LT's and true duals?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 04:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What torque arm for LT's and true duals?

Was wondering what adjustable torque arm you guys with true duals and LT's are running. And whether its a body mount or tranny mount? Which one is better?
Old 10-25-2006, 04:53 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

With a true dual system that is not custom built you are going to need a long torque arm that bolts into the transmission, the tunnel mounted arms will not clear. We make a very nice adjustable arm that clears fine with a true dual system and in most cases offers addtional clearance and allows you to tuck the system up tigther. Please take a look at the link below and picture, if you have any questions please ask and I am glad to help. Thank you Ryan

www.umiperformance.com/2205.aspx

Old 10-25-2006, 04:55 PM
12 Second Club

I have TSP duals dumped and I bought UMI's Tranny mount adjustable TA and it worked great. They have pics on their website with it installed with duals. Great price and customer service...highley recomended!!
Old 10-25-2006, 06:04 PM
FormerVendor

Thank you and good to hear!

When that torque arm was designed it was actually designed while using the TSP true dual system. Seeing how popular that system is or similar true dual systems we knew a item that worked well with it and even offered some additional room would be sure to be a hit.

Thanks again,
Ryan
Old 10-27-2006, 12:24 PM
Teching In

from the pics i saw that it was a tranny mounted torque arm...will the umi body mounted torque arm fit with kooks long tubes and true duals?
Old 10-27-2006, 12:34 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by tensecls1
from the pics i saw that it was a tranny mounted torque arm...will the umi body mounted torque arm fit with kooks long tubes and true duals?
Yes it is a tranny mounted torque arm, the tunnel mounted or body mounted torque arms are not going to clear. The only way I have seen them clear is having a custom built true dual system built around the torque arm. But that will get expensive too.

We always recommend to use our transmission mounted torque arm and torque arm relocation kit.

If I can help anymore please ask. Thanks!
Ryan
Old 11-11-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Regular

how necessary is it to run the relocation bracket for the torque arm?
ive read on here of people breakin their tranny with the trans mounted torque arm...is this only on high power vehicles under extreme track conditions or does this apply to all power levels/driving styles?
id like to upgrade my torque arm the same time im doing the panhard and LCAs and have got mixed reviews as to which to go with...
i will eventually lower the car and run pacesetter/TSP duals dumped so im looking for something thats not gonna give me problems down the line as well
Old 11-12-2006, 12:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SUCK MY SS
how necessary is it to run the relocation bracket for the torque arm?
ive read on here of people breakin their tranny with the trans mounted torque arm...is this only on high power vehicles under extreme track conditions or does this apply to all power levels/driving styles?
id like to upgrade my torque arm the same time im doing the panhard and LCAs and have got mixed reviews as to which to go with...
i will eventually lower the car and run pacesetter/TSP duals dumped so im looking for something thats not gonna give me problems down the line as well
In my case I had to use a tranny crossmember that relocated the TA mount but after having one I highly reccomend everyone buy one and get the TA mount off the transmission tailshaft. Very bad design if you ask me.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahem, not to step on UMI's feet or anything, but there is a tunnel mount option that will fit with duals.

I have the Jegster non-adjustable and it fits great. I broke my stocker and came across this one used for a steal. It may or may not be for you though. The install is lengthy and involved, and you do have to grease the thing regularly (once a month) or it will clunk. Other than that, it lowered my 60' almost 3 tenths. Wheel hop is non-existent.

Jegs and Alston also make an adjustable.

Pics.

This is not to say that I wouldn't get the UMI tunnel mount if they could make it work with my duals. It is a very nice piece, a friend of mine has it on his LT1, and I could actually tell a difference on the street afterwards. The construction is of a very high quality also.

Hint, hint UMI, if you ever need a test car with the duals tucked up as high as possible for a tunnel mount torque arm, I'm your man...
Old 11-14-2006, 09:39 AM
FormerVendor

Doubt It- Yes you are correct, that is another option. The reason I don't mention it is because of the installation time and work involved as well as the additional road noise. I think that set-up is only for certain people.

Thank you!
Ryan
Old 11-14-2006, 06:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Doubt It- Yes you are correct, that is another option. The reason I don't mention it is because of the installation time and work involved as well as the additional road noise. I think that set-up is only for certain people.

Thank you!
Ryan
I definitely think that it is an aquired taste. I also wouldn't recommend it for everyone, and would suggest that you find a car close by that has one installed before you decide.

If UMI's tunnel mount were available for duals at the time I got the Jegster, I would have gone with it instead, no doubt.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:30 PM
11 Second Club

FWIW, after some thorough research, I think that I've decided to change my exhaust over the winter and switch to the UMI Torque Arm with Driveshaft Safety Loop.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

BMR Trak Pak torque arm with custom true duals

duals are for sale by the way.

Old 11-17-2006, 01:51 AM
Banned

so im kinda confused on what you are saying here

will UMI's torque arm fit with LT's and the tsp true dual with the transmission crossmember torque arm relocation or not?
Old 11-17-2006, 06:11 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ryguy85
so im kinda confused on what you are saying here

will UMI's torque arm fit with LT's and the tsp true dual with the transmission crossmember torque arm relocation or not?
Yes, it will work and fit perfect ... see picture in link below, it shows our torque arm, TSP duals and a torque arm relocation kit.

http://www.umiperformance.com/images/2320o.jpg

Also sounds great Doubt It, thank you!
Old 11-17-2006, 12:27 PM
Banned

ahhhh sweeet that is excatly what i want when the funds come in i will be purchasing from you guys

Quick Reply: What torque arm for LT's and true duals?