Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brakes/Rotors....have to do front and rear at the same time or no?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 09:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Brakes/Rotors....have to do front and rear at the same time or no?

My fronts are getting pretty bad, the rears I don't really notice. Is it alright to swap out the front rotors and brake pads now and save the rears for spring time or is that a mistake? Which take the brunt of the stopping force?
Old 10-29-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The front does most of the work (70-80%). I'd fix the fronts now and if you wind up needing rear brakes later, change them. Until that time, I'd swap the fronts and run the rears as they currently are. There is no danger from doing that and it's quite common to do so.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. While I generally will replace both left and right at the same time there is no reason to do both front and back unless they both need it. Replace the fronts, and get the backs when they need it. You'll be fine.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Forgot to mention this might be important in all of this...I am replacing the fronts with Brembo blanks and Hawk HPS pads and the rears would still be OEM stuff....is that gonna be a problem? Good stuff in the front vs **** in the back? TIA
Old 10-29-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by hurley711
Forgot to mention this might be important in all of this...I am replacing the fronts with Brembo blanks and Hawk HPS pads and the rears would still be OEM stuff....is that gonna be a problem? Good stuff in the front vs **** in the back? TIA

Nope, not a problem at all. The LS1 has the brake bias shifted pretty heavily to the rear. A slightly more aggressive pad in the front is often useful to increase performance and prevent what we refer to as "brake hop". Brake hop is like wheel hop, but during very hard braking. The back axle begins to bounce violently. So, a slightly better pad up front isn't a bad thing and I think you'll be pleased with the results. If you add HPS pads to the rear, that will work fine for street use as well (and many people autocross on just such a setup). For extreme use (road courses, etc), I'd run a more aggressive pad in the front an a stock or HPS pad in the rear, but we're getting far ahead of ourselves at this point.

Basically, yes, you'll be just fine with that setup. You'll probably be very impressed with the results.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

just autoX for first time on my new brake pads. Put the Hawk HPS up front and left the original in the back. Worked like a charm. Honestly, the difference was absolutely crazy. My first run I was braking waaaaay early bc i was used to the crappy worn pads
Old 10-29-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by irnbru83
just autoX for first time on my new brake pads. Put the Hawk HPS up front and left the original in the back. Worked like a charm. Honestly, the difference was absolutely crazy. My first run I was braking waaaaay early bc i was used to the crappy worn pads
Isn't it amazing what better pads can do?
Old 10-30-2006, 05:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thjanks guys...Guess I'll do the Brembo blanks in the front with HPS pads and do the rears in a few months
Old 10-30-2006, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just ordered my Brembo blanks and HPS pads for the fronts......they'll be going on this weekend. I'll report back with results
Old 10-31-2006, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hurley711
...I am replacing the fronts with Brembo blanks and Hawk HPS pads and the rears would still be OEM stuff
Not a problem, but unless you are driving your car on the track, you can save lots of money by buying cheap rotors on ebay for $40 each, and basic brake pads from an auto parts store. These will warp and overheat on track, but work fine on the road. .....Just me, I don't spend money unless I really need what I'm paying for.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BrianMSmith
Just me, I don't spend money unless I really need what I'm paying for.

And if he stops 12 feet shorter and avoids rear ending someone for the cost of a $60 set of brake pads, what's that worth? Parts store pads are great for parts store cars (that don't make 300+ hp and weigh 3,500 lbs). A pad upgrade is money well spent in the opinion of many. Do you have to? Nope. If it saves you being in an accident, is it worth a few extra dollars? It is to me. Only you can decide for yourself though.

Be safe.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrianMSmith
Not a problem, but unless you are driving your car on the track, you can save lots of money by buying cheap rotors on ebay for $40 each, and basic brake pads from an auto parts store. These will warp and overheat on track, but work fine on the road. .....Just me, I don't spend money unless I really need what I'm paying for.
I do see that you're being frugal which I consider a good thing, especially since there are a lot of overmarketed parts, but AFA Pads and Brake fluid (not mentioned here, but elsewhere) I have to agree with trackbird on this, because the pad really is really an active part of the brake system which is often neglected (a shame since it's well proven).

While even certain "streetable" pads can be a little on the aggressive side (can prematurely wear rotors down to minimal operation thickness), with a little bit of driving style change, they and good rotors can last long and if they can provide a decreased stopping distance when called upon, it's a win win game.

Quick Reply: Brakes/Rotors....have to do front and rear at the same time or no?