Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Break in new pads and rotors separately?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Break in new pads and rotors separately?

I am putting 4 new pads (Hawks) and 2 front rotors (Autozone blanks) and changing fluid to synthetic. Seems like I read where you are supposed to break pads and rotors in separately. Doesn't make sense to me to do the whole thing 2x. Also, do you follow Hawks bernishing procedure? Anything else I need to know before I start around lunch tomorrow?
Old 11-07-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't see why you need to do it seperately, however I'm not an expert. I've done plenty of brake jobs and we just do it all at once. Follow the instuctions for breaking in the pads. I followed them cause it wasn't a big deal. But you don't have to do exactly what they say, just don't slam on the brakes as soon as you drive off. Let them warm up by drag and brake early at a smooth pace. Thats all you really need to do.

I'm assuming you got it covered, but just clean off the old grease on the glider pins and apply new lube.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:12 PM
11 Second Club

Never broke in any of mine seperately, always did them together for matching surfaces. Just break them in per manufacturer's recomendations.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never heard of breaking them in seperately. That would be like breaking in the friction material on a new clutch setup with the old flywheel or vice-versa
Old 11-08-2006, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The manufacturers do typically recommend breaking in pads and rotor seperately. On a race/track car, you usually wear pads out and the rotors stay pretty "flat", so you can run the old pads on new rotors to season them, then swap to new pads, etc.

For street/autocross use, I have typically done them together. Just go easy on them at first, then work up to the recommended stopping sequence from the pad manufacturer. I've never had any issues, but I tend to go easy on them at first and then work it the process.

Be careful bedding brakes on the street, if you get pad fade in the process, make sure you're somewhere where you won't hit anyone/anything. It's not recommended to do it on the street, but if you do, be safe and pay attention.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:38 AM
TECH Resident

Are you referring to bedding the track pads? I also have them, but will not put them on until later. Road Atlanta is the 2nd and 3rd of November, so I would like to get the the rotors and pad "broken in" before then. I have the Hawk street pads for front and rear, and the track pads for the front for Road Atlanta. I was just putting the street pads on for now.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Typically track pads, yes. I have done both aggressive street pads and track pads with new rotors and haven't had any issues. Just go easy on them at first.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks. Have you done the Road Atlanta thing?

Quick Reply: Break in new pads and rotors separately?