Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Solid motor mount questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 11:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solid motor mount questions

I'm not concerned with noise, vibrations, or rattling change in the cupholder. Just looking for some feedback concerning peoples experiences and knowledge of solid motor mounts as far as setting off the knock sensors and/or damaging the block or other problems. I've heard some folks get false knock retard from the excess vibrations. I've also heard that I should be concerned with the mount bolts pulling out of the engine or cracking the block because there is no give with soild mounts causing the soft aluminum to break.

Anyone have 1st or second hand experiences with solid ls1 motor mounts??

Input is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

I know some folks out there have some knowledge about solid motor mounts. post up please.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just go with poly mounts, good bit more stiffness without jarring you to death, there is not need for solid mounts on a street car, would not recommend it
Old 12-10-2006, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

Jarring, rattling, vibrations, etc don't really concern me. I actually like the race car feel. I know there are some folks on here that have solid mounts as well as daily drive them. I'm hoping some of them will chime in here with their experiences, opinions, and installl tips.

Thanks for the advise though zlover129. I'll probably end up going with prothane poly mounts simply do to the lack of feedback on the solids.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm running an LT1 with solid mounts and have been for over a year, the car is driven regularly and I just got done with an 1100 mile trip in it. Despite a slight increase in vibration I've not noticed anything negative. The bolts need loktite to stay put but after that you can forget they're there. I could say the motor felt more responsive but that could be all in my head, I have no way to test it. I've not noticed knock either.
I've not got an aluminum block but I've seen no stress issues from vibrations, everything I've heard and read is to the effect of "I've heard they can crack the block is this true?" I would think that if someone had cracked a block they would have posted about it.

In a nutshell, I like mine, I like the way they made the car feel.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

Default This guy deserves a prize!!

Thank you for your input!

It seems like no one has anything to say on the subject for the most part. Your the first person to actually post some useful information 4 me. And thanks to the few folks that have PM'd me too. Did you get the ones form Madman? How hard was the install?

Still looking for some input from the ls1 guys. I know your out there, don't be shy!
Old 12-11-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

ill let you know as soon as spohn makes my k-member/a-arm/solid mount package and ships it. i figured i could deal with any vibrations and all that junk. ill keep you posted.

EDIT- and all the cracked block, knock sensor, and heroin needle in the mcdonalds playplace is probably just urban legends.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ive got the Spohn mounts on a PA K-member, vibrations arent that bad, I dont daily drive the car though.

On a side note, I dont know what was out of whack, the K member or the mounts, but it seemed to raise the engine about 3/4"
Old 12-11-2006, 07:41 PM
...with cheese.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Alright, I was running Spohn solid mounts on my 408 and had a good size cam. I liked them, not a bad setup at all. I sold them to another member on this board and he likes them too.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

What are you going to be doing that will need solid mounts?

I would look at "why" you think you need them.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive got them in mine and i love them, it made everything feel soild
Old 12-11-2006, 11:53 PM
Staging Lane

At the current time I know my power doesn't warrant the use of them, but I like the feel. I know they will perform better than stock. I was also under the impression I wouldn't have to worry about screwing with the drive line angle which I've read can be a problem with some poly mounts. I'm also not much of a mechanic (nor was I blessed with a very fat bank account) so I thought I'd install these while I'm doing my headers this month and never have to mess with them again.

On a side note, I dont know what was out of whack, the K member or the mounts, but it seemed to raise the engine about 3/4"
That sucks. That's one of the reasons I was thinking of going solids. Hard to tell if it was the K-member or the mounts though huh?
Old 12-12-2006, 12:18 AM
Launching!

From what I have read all the people with solids seem to like them and the people that advise to avoid them run poly and have no experience with them. I have stock mounts for now but when i change me headers i plan to go solid.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:22 AM
TECH Addict

what do you think is easier to install?

I would say solids...any info on that?
Old 12-12-2006, 09:17 AM
TECH Resident

Ive had both, dont waste your time with the poly ones, you will save more weight get about the same amount of vibrations, but it will feel a little more soild with the solid motor mounts. I didnt notice any change in height when i installed mine.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it raised the motor a bit in mine, but the stock mounts were sagging pretty bad.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

One thing i will say... is that the people that dont recommend solid motor mounts have never ran them 9 times out of 10
Old 12-14-2006, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

Well, after much debate I have decided to go with the solids. I will post up to share my experience with them. I just have a few more things to get together and I'll be installing them along with my LT's at the end of the month. Hopefully all goes well.

Anyone have any install tips on the solid mounts?
Old 12-14-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

I curious to see the opinions from thoes with cams.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

go with the solids