Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

My Konis have worn me out

Old 12-17-2006, 02:24 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Konis have worn me out

I have driven on my Koni SAs for 1 year now and I have finally decided they are too stiff. They seem like they would be perfect on a car with somewhat stiff springs but mine are stock. Although the DeCarbons handled poorly they actually were more comfortable. My work location changed and I have a really beat up road as part of my commute now and the car is just too rough with the Konis on it. I really wish the compression damping was lower.

Koni plusses
  • Handling is great.
  • Firm feel and good control
Koni minuses
  • Tiring on bad roads
  • Rough ride
I would switch to the Bilstein HDs but I have read that the rear shock settings are pretty bad.

Not sure what to do.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

I can't imagine finding a better shock for the rear, than the Koni's. Are they on "full soft"? Be sure they are adjusted properly.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:26 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 192 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by BJM
I have driven on my Koni SAs for 1 year now and I have finally decided they are too stiff. I would switch to the Bilstein HDs but I have read that the rear shock settings are pretty bad. Not sure what to do.
Talk to Sam. He may be able to put something together on the rear HD's for you. I think you'll like them with the stock springs. Very comfortable ride.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:09 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No way in hell are decarbons more comfortable.. I remember those rattling my teeth over bumps on the freeway. When I went to konis I couldn't believe how much nicer the ride was, and I was expecting the opposite. It sounds like your Konis are set too stiff, I had mine 2 turns from full soft and it was a real nice ride, if you want an even softer ride set it to 0 soft. GL.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

From everything I have read, the stock shocks are the most "jarring" of them all on rough roads, next up are the Bilsteins and the best ride comes from Konis. Maybe they need some tweaking?
Old 12-17-2006, 09:20 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02SS#406
I can't imagine finding a better shock for the rear, than the Koni's. Are they on "full soft"? Be sure they are adjusted properly.
You make a good point, I think the rears are okay. They are all on full soft right now. The harshness is more from the front.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:25 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alex L.
No way in hell are decarbons more comfortable.. I remember those rattling my teeth over bumps on the freeway. When I went to konis I couldn't believe how much nicer the ride was, and I was expecting the opposite. It sounds like your Konis are set too stiff, I had mine 2 turns from full soft and it was a real nice ride, if you want an even softer ride set it to 0 soft. GL.
My stock shocks were not harsh, just had bad handling. On rumbly pavement the stock shocks were better since they didn't do anything. Once they had to handle a sudden turn the car wobbled everywhere. Let me be clear, the Konis blow them away for handling.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:10 PM
Launching!

koni's will dampen the stock spring rates very well, with far greater comfort than the DeCarbon's. Let's get more information.... How many sweeps from full soft? What's the front tire pressure? Do you have a larger front bar (greater than 32mm)?

Scott.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by May Spin
koni's will dampen the stock spring rates very well, with far greater comfort than the DeCarbon's. Let's get more information.... How many sweeps from full soft? What's the front tire pressure? Do you have a larger front bar (greater than 32mm)?

Scott.
Yeah..thats what I was thinking..this is a set up problem..cuz on stock springs the Koni's arent even starting to work hard
Old 12-17-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BJM
You make a good point, I think the rears are okay. They are all on full soft right now. The harshness is more from the front.
My front Koni SA's are at 3 sweeps from full hard. From setting 1-9, they are at 6--just slightly hard. They feel perfect with the Strano lowering springs. Can you believe it? This combo with this setting actually feels more comfortable than my old factory Z28 springs with the SLP-spec Bilstein HD's. With that said, something's definitely wrong with your adjustment settings. With a spanner wrench, turn all the way to the right until you can't go any further. Then, turn 4 times to the left. This will give you setting 5 and I think is the best setting to start. If it still feels too stiff, then just make another turn to the left to get to setting 4 and so on. Turn left to go softer or turn right to go stiffer.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:32 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by May Spin

Scott.
I have all 4 shocks at full soft right now. I have Fuzion ZRis and they seem more comfortable than the stock tires. All tires are at 35 psi. My springs and swat bars are stock. All stock bushings except in the rear LCAs which are 1LE bushings.

For those who love their Konis, are any of you on stock springs?
Old 12-18-2006, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Inflation recommendation is 30 psi cold. I only inflate my tires to 35 psi cold for autocrossing. Daily driving they stay at 30.
Driving around at 35 psi will certainly result in a jarring ride.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:42 AM
Staging Lane

BJM, my vert is on stock (ws6) springs, Sam's sway bars and Konis. I'm using the using the lower perch on the front and heater hose mod on the rear. The front Konis are set 5 sweeps from full soft and rears are 1/4 turn from full soft. Tires are Goodyear GSD3 at 32 psi. My alignment is also a bit different than stock specs.

I'm very pleased with the ride of my car. One lovely road that is on my way to work has the bumps at just the right location to set up a nice harmonic motion at 60 mph. These shocks completely removed that. I've also driven across the US twice since making this change, on all types of road surfaces. I have no complaints about a rough ride.

I don't know what all you've tried, but I'd suggest:
1. Call Sam Strano. See what he can suggest.
2. Try lowering the psi in your tires.
3. Have you tried a firmer setting on the front? It may not help, but since it only takes a few minutes to set, I'd probably try that.
4. Not sure how much your sub box weighs, but does removing it make any difference?

Hope this helps...
Old 12-18-2006, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Tire pressure is the reason for your jarring ride quality.............
Old 12-18-2006, 01:56 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Where is everyone located?

Harsh ride means different things to different people in the first place, but road surface quality just exacerbates that.

I'm in PA, for example, and the roads are so bad and poorly maintained, that in some places, the re-paved areas are WORSE than what was there before. There are loads of manhole covers all over the place, many recessed 2 to 3 inches below the road surface. And where there isn't a manhole cover ever 2 feet, there are potholes, cracked pavement and cement, uneven joins that result in a 1 or 2 inch differential, and all manner of other oddball ruts and jutting protuberances.

Areas of road that are not even, but gradual enough for the tire to roll gently over (larger than the tire basically with a ramp up) are not uncommon either, but result in a totally different feel.

From what I've heard (and breifly seen) roads elsewhere in the country are several orders of magnitude better. Could this be why some people say the Koni ride is great and others say it's too harsh?
Old 12-18-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Sell them to me?
Old 12-18-2006, 02:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

This is a perfect example of how no two people are the same, and why I insist on talking to people instead of just relying on e-mail to sell parts.

Are they too firm for this gentleman? Sure, could be. On the other hand we know the tire pressures are high, and having been in a car identical to mine (right down to shock settings) but with higher pressures and seeing what the difference was in impact harshness I'd say that might have something to do with it. Also, someone asked, but I didn't see an answer what settings have been tried on the shocks?

If you are running more pressure for crispness, but have never tried more rebound (even a little), which would give you more crispness, I think you're missing the boat. In other words you could be using air pressure to make up for shock valving.

In the end, he might not find anything he really likes. That's not impossible, but if you can't really find something you like with the Koni's, you probably aren't going to like much else better.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-18-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BJM
I have all 4 shocks at full soft right now. I have Fuzion ZRis and they seem more comfortable than the stock tires. All tires are at 35 psi. My springs and swat bars are stock. All stock bushings except in the rear LCAs which are 1LE bushings.

For those who love their Konis, are any of you on stock springs?
I've actually been running those same tires (275/40-17) on my car with my Koni's.

Originally Posted by kyle_l
4. Not sure how much your sub box weighs, but does removing it make any difference?
Ahh, we didn't discuss a sub box. Extra weight in the rear will call for more spring rate to keep you off of the bumpstops. That can lead to a harsh ride as well. Don't get me wrong, you will use the bumpstops, but if you add enough weight, you can spend a lot of time "crashing" into them, and that can be an issue.

Originally Posted by HPP
Where is everyone located?
I'm in Ohio. Our roads aren't great either.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:55 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
This is a perfect example of how no two people are the same, and why I insist on talking to people instead of just relying on e-mail to sell parts.

Are they too firm for this gentleman? Sure, could be. On the other hand we know the tire pressures are high, and having been in a car identical to mine (right down to shock settings) but with higher pressures and seeing what the difference was in impact harshness I'd say that might have something to do with it. Also, someone asked, but I didn't see an answer what settings have been tried on the shocks?

If you are running more pressure for crispness, but have never tried more rebound (even a little), which would give you more crispness, I think you're missing the boat. In other words you could be using air pressure to make up for shock valving.

In the end, he might not find anything he really likes. That's not impossible, but if you can't really find something you like with the Koni's, you probably aren't going to like much else better.
Sam, I did buy my shocks from you after a lengthy conversation. I am perfectly satisfied with the selection I made after our talk. Over time I find that the shocks are a bit firm on the jounce stroke. Is my tire pressure really too high? I never thought to change it to be honest. I will give it a shot. What pressure do other people run?

My sub enclosure weighs no more than 40 lbs, probably 30 lbs. My ride quality issue is not bump stop related but I do intend to shorten them. I am aware when I hit them. I tried to buy the non-SS style but the nearby dealer showed the SS style only in their system and in their online picture so I never got back to it. Does anyone have a part number?

Also overall, the more I pay attention while driving, the more I think my issue is the front of the car.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Try the pressures. I'd recommend 32 front, 30 rear.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Konis have worn me out