Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Whats a solid set of rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats a solid set of rotors?

I just bought a 2001 Trans Am Ws6 and the rotors are rusted, and i was looking for a new set. I like the slotted style, but when i looked for them i cant tell if they truely work good. I know brembo has good stuff, but is there anything else?
Old 12-20-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

My rotors rusted also last spring when the car had to sit outside for a little over a month. A day or two of driving cleared them up though (the pad will take the rust off).
Old 12-21-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When you say "rusted" are you talking the face of them? If so, that'll come off with a few miles of driving. If you're talking about the hat (center portion) take a wire brush to it, then paint it with high-temp paint (Autozone). If you're meaning they've rusted beyond repair, Autozone blanks will be good for anything up to hardcore road racing.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

The autozone blanks aren't really great. I only get about 30K miles out of a set before they start to warp (w/ Hawk HPS pads).
I would suggest looking at the Brembo blank rotors on TireRack.com. They are only about $10 more each than the AZ rotors, but are made of much higher quality metal.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:23 PM
Staging Lane

I seen another thread that talked about slotted/drilled rotors. I think they look a lot better than blanks. Do they eat up brake pads any more than blanks do though? Also, are hawk performance ceramic pads one of the best, as in low dust and pretty good performance?
Old 12-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by joejoe22
I seen another thread that talked about slotted/drilled rotors. I think they look a lot better than blanks. Do they eat up brake pads any more than blanks do though? Also, are hawk performance ceramic pads one of the best, as in low dust and pretty good performance?
Yes they do eat pads more than blanks. They are not as thermally efficient due to mass being taken out of the rotor.

Basically, they are for looks. Do a good search here, there is plenty of info on this topic. Which is probably one of the most exhausted ones on this site.

Jon
Old 12-24-2006, 08:26 AM
Launching!

race cars of all different types benifit from slotted and drilled rotors, why cant we? Seems like one would if they did a lot of road corse or auto-x.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

no, racecars don't really use drilled/slotted anymore. like the other guy says, a search will help, if it ever works. pads are made of different materials now, they don't create a gas bubble like they did a few years ago. drilled/slotted are really ONLY for looks now. they'll eat up pads faster, and will NOT stop any better. if you're out for looks, they get them. if you really want to upgrade your stopping performance, get Brembo blanks.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:12 AM
Launching!

i watched a lot of racing this past year and attended a lot of races, and basiclly the cars that arent running carbon brakes are running some kind of slotted, slotted drilled setup, like the Porsche gt3 cup cars., but your right, blanks are probably the best for or cars.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RacerScott
i watched a lot of racing this past year and attended a lot of races, and basiclly the cars that arent running carbon brakes are running some kind of slotted, slotted drilled setup, like the Porsche gt3 cup cars., but your right, blanks are probably the best for or cars.
Porsche sells cars. I'm not an active PCA member, but I have been too countless events, and they have put cross drilled and slotted stuff on the race cars since I cant remember when. I imagine it is due to the fact that they sell similar cars for the street and the customers want to have the same type of look or setup. Actually I think that the Cup cars run the same non-carbon brakes as the regular street going GT3s. EVEN Porsche drilled rotors crack. But, Porsche also doesn't offer anything other than drilled rotors so...

My $.02, hope that helps.

Jon

Quick Reply: Whats a solid set of rotors?