Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Spohn TQ arm

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spohn TQ arm

Hey guys, I just got my Spohn adjustable TQ arm, I'm not sure what to do with the pinion angle, leave it at stock angle, or set it up different for drag racing? Also, do I set and measure the pinion angle with the suspension loaded or unloaded. All advice is appreciated, thanks.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=sleeperMULLET]Hey guys, I just got my Spohn adjustable TQ arm, I'm not sure what to do with the pinion angle, leave it at stock angle, or set it up different for drag racing? Also, do I set and measure the pinion angle with the suspension loaded or unloaded. All advice is appreciated, thanks.

Measure it with susupension loaded. I'd recommend you set it up like stock if you drive on the street a lot. The more agressive angle can result in vibration at highway speeds.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine's gonna be here the 29th i cant wait! Ive been meaning to ask this question also
Old 12-23-2006, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did you order the longer bolts for the rear end? The stockers really are too short for that torque arm, I spent the extra 20 bucks to get the longer bolts so that the nuts have more than just 3 or 4 threads to hold on to.

Also, I have the same crossmember for extra clearance for headers, it really cuts down on your ground clearance, be careful from now on when you drive, ESPECIALLY if you're lowered.

Here's a few of mine installed:

In these previous pictures, the stock bolts were used. In this picture, the longer ones are installed:

The bolt actually sticks out past the nut, unlike in the first 3 pics.

Ground clearance was another issue....

Oh....and no matter how tight you tighten all the bolts, you'll hear some clunking going on when you don't shift smoothly. Not sure how it feels like with an automatic since mine's a 6 speed.

Manny
Old 12-23-2006, 04:01 AM
9 Second Club

wow looks great.Whats the advantage of the adjustable TA? More bite off the line?
Old 12-23-2006, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SuperZ
wow looks great.Whats the advantage of the adjustable TA? More bite off the line?
Yes...in theory at least. My tires are so far gone, even with the torque arm I have no traction. However, back then, before the cam was installed, when the tires still looked ok, I could definitely feel the difference. My test was to be in first gear, and while driving to bring her up to 3000 rpm and then punch it from a roll. Before the torque arm, I spun them pretty easily. After the torque arm, she squatted and ran! Then I put the cam in. Between the cam being in there and the tires being a bit older, the car failed the 3000 rpm punch it test miserably, and of course still does to this day since I am on the same, now even more worn out, tires that I had before.

The other major improvement is the elimination of wheel hop. The lower control arms helped this issue already tremendously, but with the torque arm in there, it sealed the deal....no more wheel hop!

Lastly, the stock torque arm is a very flimsy design, they break easy once you put down a bit more serious horsepower and torque. Not only is the material weak (stamped steel), but also the location where it attaches to the front of the car is chosen poorly, it mounts to the tail end of the transmission. The torque arm that I have, and the original poster for that matter, relocates this attachment point to the included crossmember seen in the picture. No more unnecessary stress on the tranny this way. However, you do feel that there's something more beefy under the car, especially if you have a badly tuned cammed car with a stick shift, or you don't know how to drive a stick shift car smoothly. The famous "bucking bronco" ride that you get with a badly or untuned cammed car will really let you hear that torque arm clunk away under the car due to the shackle mounting. Just another incentive to learn how to drive a manual car smoothly.

I type too much....
Old 12-23-2006, 10:33 AM
TECH Junkie

I have one of these and it is a good piece. Get the longer bolts you will kick yourself if you don't. even if you don't get a spohn TA, make sure you check the Bolts every now and then.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the info guys, yeah I did get the longer bolts from Spohn, I must say Spohn makes some quality stuff. Anyone know if you can still do an x-pipe with this torque arm and crossmember?