Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I HEAR A "CLANK" sound from tire, BALL JOINT????

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 10:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I HEAR A "CLANK" sound from tire, BALL JOINT????

Ok so iam driving the other day and i pull a samll donut, i barley even do it cuz i gotta get ride of these tires and all, anyways i start driving and i notice these wierd knocking sound, i only heard it twice in a row and it would only sound when i stepped on it. What could be wrong? iam thinking its could be a ball joint cuz it seems to be coming from my front right tire i think. and plus my auto teachers says when ball joints start to go they really make a ton of noise.

well the last time i drove it pull 2 donuts to the right and then a turned all the way to the left and countied a left donut then i stoped, could i have broken my ball joint or what could it be. i hope its not a transmission problem or a rear gear problem.

Thanks for all the help guys...
Old 12-23-2006, 07:06 PM
12 Second Club

Its your differential, i did the same thing and thought it was possibly a lca or phr, had those replaced and it still did it, poped open the rear and found the problem..youll notice it get worse over time and eventually you wont be able to drive it. unfortunatly 10bolts just suck, im waiting on my dana to get here now...
Old 12-23-2006, 07:47 PM
Launching!

so will i have to change out my entire rear or just the gears, OMG i got so many bills to pay this sucks, just got a damn speeding ticket.

How much will an entire diff cost.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well gee, you abuse the car and complain about cost?

Look, you can build for twisties or for drag, but the car just isn't designed to do burnouts in a circle, bro.

A decent limited slip diff is about 400 bucks. A 12 bolt, 9", or Dana 60 rear end is about 2500.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:03 PM
Launching!

wel yah i know i really don't abuse it, a donut for about 5 sec, diden't expect it would to much of a beating, just a bit of fun thats all. Haven't you ever pulled one huh? Well same concepte, just a bit of expensive fun thats all.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:05 PM
Launching!

well i think a decent lim slp will do fine just want it working agn... Well thanks dude ill look into that, do you know were i can finda good deal online.. Thanks
Old 12-26-2006, 01:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My upper ball joint went out, it made no noise but it made the car pull to a side. You can check the ball joints by jacking up the car and try wiggling the tire. If if moves or you hear a click, it's the ball joint.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by _JB_
My upper ball joint went out, it made no noise but it made the car pull to a side. You can check the ball joints by jacking up the car and try wiggling the tire. If if moves or you hear a click, it's the ball joint.
I think this is my problem. Is it more of a clanking noise? Both my rear's do it when it's jacked in the air.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilkenstein
I think this is my problem. Is it more of a clanking noise? Both my rear's do it when it's jacked in the air.
Ball joints are in the front, two on each tire, upper and lower.