Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Why does my car ride like SHIT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 05:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does my car ride like ****!!!

Ever time i drive my car it ride like ****, if i hit a bump in the road i hear a loud clunk, even if i drive over a crack i can feel it in floorboard, what do i do, i have a bent panhard rod and am replacing them asap, but what else could this be from i am very disappointed with the ride quality with the car lately it used to be alot better than this. if i drive it and hit a bump it feels like i am going 150 down a old farm road. what can i do about this please help
Old 12-26-2006, 05:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02SSCamaro#9751
Ever time i drive my car it ride like ****, if i hit a bump in the road i hear a loud clunk, even if i drive over a crack i can feel it in floorboard, what do i do, i have a bent panhard rod and am replacing them asap, but what else could this be from i am very disappointed with the ride quality with the car lately it used to be alot better than this. if i drive it and hit a bump it feels like i am going 150 down a old farm road. what can i do about this please help
How did you bend the PHB? It sounds like you are on stock shocks and they have given up totally. You don't by any chance have lowering springs on the stock shocks do you?

Jon
Old 12-26-2006, 05:34 PM
Banned

no i have brand new stock shocks that were taken off of my old 99 ss that i used to have, the shocks were on for 9000 miles, i put them on the car was never lowered and will never be. i have sfc and a torque arm with poly bushing. my panhard was bent because i backed out of the drive way and my hooker catback was pushed forward because of a curb, bending my stock panhard rod. it came loose one time and made the same exact noise that my car makes now when i hit a bump, but it isn't loose this time could the bushing be bad now. please help
Old 12-26-2006, 05:35 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are gonna have to go through a list of your suspension mods (if any) so we can help. We don't know what you have, and have no way of knowing. Without that information, we can't even begin to guess what the problem is. Seems like every time I've had clunking, it has been from either:

A. Rod-ended components
B. Loose fasteners (on the panhard rod both times oddly enough)
Old 12-26-2006, 05:50 PM
Launching!

Well, I would check to make sure the bushings are still intact, or if anything is loose. Check the PHB brackets also to make sure they are in good shape/something else could have bent. Make sure everything is tight also, i've had the same problems with my rod-ended stuff like Meent mentioned.

Jon
Old 12-26-2006, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02SSCamaro#9751
no i have brand new stock shocks that were taken off of my old 99 ss that i used to have, the shocks were on for 9000 miles, i put them on the car was never lowered and will never be. i have sfc and a torque arm with poly bushing. my panhard was bent because i backed out of the drive way and my hooker catback was pushed forward because of a curb, bending my stock panhard rod. it came loose one time and made the same exact noise that my car makes now when i hit a bump, but it isn't loose this time could the bushing be bad now. please help

sfc's do not improve ride quality, the improve performance

fix your pan hard rod and the clank is prolly YOUR BENT CATBACK HITTING

get under the car and shake it around, see whats hitting, and use your head, if something moved and the ride changed, thats prolly it

also the new shocks could be different, seeing as 99 doesnt ahve the same shocks as 02, so that might also be your difference
Old 12-26-2006, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

is it bad to be running a prokit on stock shocks I'd like to get qa1's eventually but they are $$$!
Old 12-26-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

set the tires at 32 front and 30 rear. Get revalved Bilsteins for the ProKit. That should solve your issues.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:20 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

You are gonna have to get under the car and look really closely at everything under there. If something is banging around, there will be marks to prove it. The exhaust is my first guess...I'd get a new panhard rod and go from there.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CMKworm
is it bad to be running a prokit on stock shocks I'd like to get qa1's eventually but they are $$$!

It's not exactly great to run them on stock shocks, but they'll probably be worse on QA1's. That makes the stock shocks look like a "minimal performance" bargain.....
Old 12-26-2006, 08:03 PM
11 Second Club

what's a better option for shocks/springs?
Old 12-26-2006, 08:08 PM
Launching!

what's a better option for shocks/springs?
Koni SA's, or some revalved Bilsteins. Sam Strano can hook you up with either, the Koni's would be the best route though. The pro-kit isn't bad. Just the shock selection.

Jon
Old 12-26-2006, 09:18 PM
11 Second Club

what about for drag racing?
Old 12-27-2006, 06:44 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

what about for drag racing?
For drag racing, the QA1s will work best...but don't expect it to handle well on the street compared to a revalved Bilstein or a Koni shock. Don't kid yourself into thinking you aren't making a compromise here...you'll end up disappointed.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:58 PM
Launching!

That whole "You can drag race a road racing car, but you can't road race a drag racing car", applies here. Get the better shocks, your *** and car will thank you for it.

Jon
Old 12-27-2006, 04:36 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Jon B.
That whole "You can drag race a road racing car, but you can't road race a drag racing car", applies here. Get the better shocks, your *** and car will thank you for it.

Jon
What about my wallet? What does it say? It says, "Leave it stock."

It doesn't usually win any arguments though
Old 12-27-2006, 10:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
What about my wallet? What does it say? It says, "Leave it stock."

It doesn't usually win any arguments though
Mine tries, but then the car usually sucks the wallet out of my hand and holds it hostage.

Jon
Old 12-27-2006, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jon B.
Mine tries, but then the car usually sucks the wallet out of my hand and holds it hostage.

Jon

Amen reverend.