Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
View Poll Results: What k-member should I buy?
UMI
65.35%
Spohn
24.02%
Neither. Aftermarket k-members are a waste of money.
10.63%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

What k-member should I buy? UMI's or Spohn's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS1875
I voted Spohn because I have had one in my car for 5 years now. No problem of any kind, seems plenty strong, holding up to daily driving and the weekend track runs. I to have used the K-member for a jack point without any issues. UMI wasn't out when I put the Spohn in, however I will say they make quality products..as I am using their front brake conversion brackets on my car.
What type of conversion brackets?
Old 02-06-2008, 01:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just installed the UMI k member and rod ended adj.lower a arms on the 35th.bottom line is the double tubed.IMO its strong.thats why I choose UMI.will order another one for the 98z.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:30 PM

I would go with the UMI. I have seen BMR's break. Not sure about the sphoon.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:53 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by davered00ss
I would go with the UMI. I have seen BMR's break. Not sure about the sphoon.
Might of been true on a design many years ago (happens when you are the first to build them) but not now...

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 02-11-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

wow I didn't vote b/c I can't do to having neither but I think the poll speaks well enough.

I have one questiuon though in regards to a turbo setup when running a larger downpipe. Since UMI seems to be the best choice, how does it line up in regards to this issue? As far as I knew the BMR was the best for this but not sure, anyone
Old 02-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I don't get it--really. If you don't drive your car all the time, is it ok to use weaker parts? Funny, how so many junk the 10-bolts for 9" or 12-bolts having never broken one. But when it comes to a K-member and a lot fewer bucks for something beefier, then it becomes a second guessing game.

You can do whatever you like, certainly. But I think you all need to take a long hard look at the stock part, then compare it to the single tube designs. Then look at the UMI part.
UMI is the only one the uses a two bar.
now spohn and bmr both use a single bar. if you call and ask bmr how many of there single bar k-mambers break on the street. the number is like 5. so 5 to thousands of them sold. well it is luck of the draw.

go with a spohn. Steve(spohn) says the k-member will take any street you throw it at. i have a sphon k-member and i live in pot hole heaven. it still looks great. so if you happen to be one of those 5 that got the opps part. sorry. but hold them to there warrenty. and if you aint one of those 5 then you got less weight and still a great part.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Well I just went with the latest version of the BMR K-member, got their upper and lower arms as well. I might have done things differently had I read this before my purchase but I'm also a week away from installing my new APS twin turbo system. This system was designed around the BMR installed on a Camaro as I'm sure most of you already know. I didn't want to chance turbo fittment and I didn't know any better. This one does look pretty damn good and it handles like a roller coaster on rails. The days of pushing into corners are over, she steers where you tell her! I will keep my eyes open and be vigilante in checking for signs of cracking in the powder coating, etc.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

UMI all the way. Only problem I had was one of the motor mount bolts was mis-threaded. Not a big deal.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by flash12t
how about the bmr k-members??
+1...

"BMR K-members are built exclusively using larger diameter 1-5/8" x .120" and 1-1/4" x .095" tubing yet still remain up to 7.5 lbs. lighter than the competitions due to integrated mount design. Using tubular K-member and upper/lower a-arm set, expect a minimum weight reduction of 42 lbs. Combine this with a coil-over style spring/shock combo and a lightweight front brake setup and lose over 100 lbs. off the front end"

BMR can also make the K-member for power steering rack, manual rack, turbo, big block, or small block application
Old 02-27-2008, 11:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lowbirdws6
Well I just went with the latest version of the BMR K-member, got their upper and lower arms as well. I might have done things differently had I read this before my purchase but I'm also a week away from installing my new APS twin turbo system. This system was designed around the BMR installed on a Camaro as I'm sure most of you already know. I didn't want to chance turbo fittment and I didn't know any better. This one does look pretty damn good and it handles like a roller coaster on rails. The days of pushing into corners are over, she steers where you tell her! I will keep my eyes open and be vigilante in checking for signs of cracking in the powder coating, etc.
I wouldn't worry. Tons of people DD with BMR k-members. APS chose the BMR k-member for a reason too.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:15 AM
TECH Resident

quite being pussies and go light.lol
Old 02-28-2008, 11:10 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

There will always be someone that thinks X is better over Y. It comes down to why they think that. Do they have good reasons, or are they just following a crowd and thinking "works for them... I guess".

You all can do what you wish, but for the love of god PLEASE include some information supporting your statement beyond what amounts to "Joe-Bob uses brand X, it must be the best".
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 02-28-2008, 11:48 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

There will always be someone that thinks X is better over Y. It comes down to why they think that. Do they have good reasons, or are they just following a crowd and thinking "works for them... I guess".

You all can do what you wish, but for the love of god PLEASE include some information supporting your statement beyond what amounts to "Joe-Bob uses brand X, it must be the best".
That's a good point, Sam. It seems like most people have an opinion, but not everyone knows why.

Regarding K-members, remember that there are more F-Bodies on the road with BMR K-members than any other company. BMR has been making this product for a long time and our k-members have survived more potholes and more street miles than any other brand.

I think that it is fair to say that there are more satisfied customers with BMR K-members than all other suspension companies combined!!

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 02-28-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I voted umi (they make some nice stuff), but I am actually running a bmr. I havn't been too thrilled with spohn stuff...especially my t56 swap trans crossmember. Whoever designed that should be kicked in the nuts.

I havn't had a chance to really drive my car since installing the bmr kmember, but from the looks of it, I'm sure it will perform as good as it looks.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

matt moon has a PA and its the shiznits
Old 03-09-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

i have the umi road race k member and its an awesome piece.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:38 AM
Teching In

Well i had ordered everything from front to rear on my Z from spohn. All chromoly I spent over 3600.00 from them and i will tell you that I will never buy or recomend anyone to them. I waited over 6mths for my K-member and upper and lower control arms. There C/S is the poorest I have ever seen from a highly recomended company. The people are the rudest and most smartass people that i have ever had to deal with. The product I have no problem with everything went together really easly and installed perfect, but if had to do it all over again I will go the another company just because of the customer service. Very important to me.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Regular

I went with the UMI K-member mainly due to the twin tube design. When it was installed, everything lined up perfectly and it had a very good design. Alot of gussets and the welds were top notch. If all of the UMI stuff is built as well as the K-member, I will be going with UMI on everything else regarding suspension.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Spohn on mine, i mainly drag race and drive on the street. i have not front sway and the car isnt set up to road race at all. i live in pittsburgh, where construction on highways and potholes are the norm. i have had no problems with it at all so far esp driving it this winter too and now that its turning nice and pot holes are everywhere now. everything fit in fine and had no troubles with a single thing at all.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just got my umi installed this past week. the arh 1 7/8 headers and the k member compliment each other perfectly. the hardest part of the install was finding ways to put everything back on so i didnt scratch the paint!!!

Quick Reply: What k-member should I buy? UMI's or Spohn's?