Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Heater hose mod on rear springs, how much to cut off fronts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 10:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 568 Likes on 450 Posts

Default Heater hose mod on rear springs, how much to cut off fronts?

I cannot afford to do any high end suspension mods to my car, so I figured the rear spring isolator delete would be my best bet to get a little bit of drop in the rear. I'm not going to buy a set of springs either and I want to cut my front springs to match the drop in the rear. How much of the front coil do I cut? Please, no lectures on why cutting your springs is a bad idea. I've already done a search and read them all. All I want are a couple of precise answers to my questions How much of a drop does the removal of the spring isolator give you? I'm running American Racing Rebel 17X9" wheels that have quite a different offset than most f-body wheels and I doubt that I can drop more than 3/4" - 1" without having issues. Any answers would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-11-2007, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well im just going to say that if your car is a daily driver and since i see it's a 98... more than likely you're not going to be able to get the front spring/shock apart without ruining the shock, so plan on spending money there. Plus i don't see how you can cut the front springs and still fit correctly on the top and lower perches.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've done exactly what you are wanting to do. I did the heater hose mod in the rear and cut 3/4 of a coil off the front. As far as fitting correctly the pearches had no affect on it. I didn't notice any difference in the handling either.
Here are some pics

Old 01-11-2007, 07:20 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks! That was exactly what I was looking for. My car is a non-WS6, however - are the springs a different rate? What exactly is is about '98s that makes it difficult to remove the springs? I've got full access to the proper tools to remove them, so I didn't figure it would be a problem.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Most likely he is refering to the fact that the top bolt on the shock is probably rusted and will require you to damage the threads on the shock to remove it.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:26 AM
12 Second Club

Ha, my car has never seen a day of salt in it's life. Highly unlikely. I took the LCA bolts out with hand tools and the underside looks new. So my car might actually drop more than yours, since yours is a WS6, correct?
Old 01-12-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
Ha, my car has never seen a day of salt in it's life. Highly unlikely.
Think again, My '98 has never seen salt and up until I did a shock/spring change 3 yrs ago it never saw any rain. But my front strut nut was rusted right to the shock shaft. Plus at the time my car only had 4,000 miles on it so you better pray to the shock gods that it isn't rusted my friend.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS LS1
Think again, My '98 has never seen salt and up until I did a shock/spring change 3 yrs ago it never saw any rain. But my front strut nut was rusted right to the shock shaft. Plus at the time my car only had 4,000 miles on it so you better pray to the shock gods that it isn't rusted my friend.

QFT

THEY ALL RUST

Quick Reply: Heater hose mod on rear springs, how much to cut off fronts?