Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Duralast brake pads suck!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 02:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duralast brake pads suck!!!

Like 6 months ago, I got the whole set of crossed drilled rotors, but at the time I was broke and needed pads fast, so i bought some Duralast brake pads, this pads brake allright but I hate all the brake dust this pads produce. So I wanna know whats a good cheap brake pad that doesnt produce that much brake dust, I was going to get the Hawks since I get 20% off them, but I heard they also produce quite some brake dust, So know I'm leaning towards ceramic brake pads pro-stop from pepboys. I want to know if these are good pads, I just know they dont produce much brake dust?
Old 02-02-2007, 03:26 PM
11 Second Club

no such thing as good and cheap bud. you are gonna have to make a choice on if you want good stuff or cheap stuff. discount sells some good pads, go and check'em out.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A ceramic pad will produce very little dust. Personally would won't not go with hawk pads unless you really need a better gripping pad for road racing or autocross. A ceramic is the best for a street car IMO the stop well and produce very little dust. When I switched from stocker to ceramics I went from cleaning my wheels 2-3 times a week to really never. I usually wash my car once a week and the wheel have very little brake dust mostly just dirt from driving
Old 02-02-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

why wouldnt you go with hawk pads for daily driving purposes? i read alot about how hawks dont dust that much...but i havent installed mines yet.....
Old 02-02-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Those w personal experience please, correct me if I'm wrong, but...

Wouldn't having cross drilled or slotted rotors create more duts. The edges created by the slots or drilled holes eat up the pads. So If low dust is the priority, drilled or slotted rotors should be avoided.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless hawk pads are ceramic(I don't think hawk makes any ceramic pads) there going to dust a good bit. Hawks are mostly a perfomance pad which in order to grip/grap harder they going to be a softer material which is going to dust more. Personally on a daily driver I hate haveing to clean my wheels especially since I now have polished wheels and would much rather have ceramic pads. There is nothing wrong with hawk pads whats so ever there great pads.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

All i know is my Bosch Ceramics dust like crazy
Old 02-03-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you are concerned with breaking ability more than the dust the Hawk pads are definately better. I have them on my car and they work great but they do produce a fair amount of dust. I clean my wheels once a week to keep them looking good. The ceramic pads do produce less dust but do not have as much bite. It all comes down to wether you want better performance or less dust.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I also have the Hawk HPS pads on my car w/ some cheapo AutoZone rotors on there.
There need a little bit of heat in them for them to start working well, but they warm up quickly.

The HPS pads are great for daily driving except for the dust. They do dust quite a bit, but for me the AWESOME performance of the Hawk HPS outweighs a dirty rim.

My pads have never let me down, even while cruising through Ortega HWY or scrubbing off speed from 100+. I would say that my rotors are actually the weak link in my performance braking system because they start to warp WAY before the pads start to overheat.

Anyway that is my .02

Quick Reply: Duralast brake pads suck!!!