Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need help asap! Brakes locked up.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 03:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help asap! Brakes locked up.

Another member on the board installed new pads, rotors, and lines recently. He had driven about 50+ miles, normal putting around (new engine work, waiting for tune). He got a computer tune sent to make the car drivable. And today, decided to test out the new brakes. 60-0 or so, and right afterwards the whole brake system locked up. As of this moment his car is stuck a few miles from home.

Can anyone help?

The only other bit of info I know is that he installed a line lock, however he only put the unit in the line and didnt actually finish installing the whole system. So it shouldnt even be functional.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

hey guys, it's my ride
this is friggin insane...I cant believe that the BRAKES are giving me issues...oh well could be worse! The car is running well otherwise...

Anyway, after a while (45 minutes sitting in a parking lot) the brakes did let up and the car would roll on its own...so, I had it towed home...

As I was backing up into the garage it locked up COMPLETELY again after i hit the brake normally just to get lined up with the garage door...WTF!
This is strange...the only thing I can think is something is failing between the master cylinder/line lock/ABS block.....i installed the pads correctly (ive done it a million times)
and I installed the new brake lines correctly too cause when I bled them they didnt leak and they worked fine...basically the brakes engage, but dont disengage..****

I dont know, I am for the first time in my automotive life at a loss!

Santino, thank you for posting this man, I appreciate it!
Old 02-08-2007, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

are all 4 locked up or just the front(assuming you have the line lock hooked up to the front brakes) as apposed to hooking it up to the rear and having it block the fluid going back there instead of only locking and holding hte front on like all the kits out there i've seen.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

the line lock was installed but IS NOT wired up..it is just there....also i for sure installed it correctly...you really cant screw it up as the lines come PRE bent and with instructions..the car was been braking without problems...buti never really got on em hard....today was the first time i really got on em hard...i didnt slam on the brakes like you would avoiding the back of a stopped car, but i rapidly decelerated from about 60 MPH to 20MPH, and it just continued to lock up until the car stopped rolling, thank god I was able to pull off of the main road...

I had the brakes bled 2 weeks ago and drove it fine, I also bedded in the brakes, no problems...I will say though that they have been kind of mushy since the bleeding...could this be air in the lines still???
Old 02-08-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

i didnt check yet if all 4 are locking up....I will have to do this this weekend...i have a feeling it is just the front 2...but again I cant be sure...

I asked a while back if running the linelock not hooked up would be a problem and everyone said no, which makes sense...it should only work when activated..
I cannot figure out what in the HELL is going on..

Erik
Old 02-08-2007, 06:34 PM
12 Second Club

No problem dude. Good luck getting this all sorted out. lol If I could help, I would. But like I said on the phone... most of the time I'd rather just pay a pro to do it!
Old 02-08-2007, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

ill troubleshoot and we will see, its an SLP unit, I guess I could try and contact them to get down to the nitty gritty on this...I will also wire up the linelock and try to engage/disengage it...i just dont see how it could be the dam L/L
Old 02-08-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

other than the vacuum for brakes and the anti lock (which is designed to only to release pressure not add), the whole system is completely controlled by your foot.

That being said, if you apply pressure then release it, then there is only one possible scenario. The pressure is being kept in. That can only lead to the line lock as there is no other part of the system that can "hold" pressure except for your foot.

I would inspect the calipers and ensure the cylinders have not seized on all four brakes.

Now as far as hydraulics go, if the line lock is stuck in a closed state, despite being not wired up, I can see that being your culprit. I suggest removing and rebleeding to see if that is your problem.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

I think that may work....first I will try and wire it up and see if I then can engage and disengage it....if that doesnt work the bitch is coming off....I have to find the old line..YIPPEE
Old 02-08-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

FOUND IT!! (the stock line that is)
I will think about what I am going to do this weekend...I guess wire it first..if I still have the problem, its coming off and then the stock line will go back on..rebleed...see whats up...

I will also inspect all calipers...how can I tell if they are locked?? Do I need to try and compress them or something??
Old 02-08-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the cylinders on the calipers can be pushed in with the help of a vice or c clamp. Just remember to use a piece of wood or old brake pad when clamping it down. If you find it extremely difficult to push then you have an idea of your problem.

Careful though, as if your pushing back fluid it has to go somewhere so if you had the other side left open with no rotor/pad on it, you can push the other cylinder on the other side, usually you end up just pushing fluid back into the resevoir, so leave the cap off and some rags around it just in case it goes back that way.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't claim to be an expert here but...
I had an old Chevy 4x4, that had a bad parking pin (it was free). My uncle put a line lock on it to use as a parking brake at the boat launch. It was just a block w a button (inside the cab no less). No electronics whatsoever.
My point is I really think the line lock is your issue. I'm thinking it could do its thing w out power. I would do like you plan. Hook it all up and see if you can disengage it.

Good luck! Keep us posted.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:20 AM
TECH Addict

I will most certainly try that, thanks a lot guys....
It HAS to be the LL because there isnt really anything else that would cause something like this....
if the line lock is going to do this when not engaged, its going right back to SLP, screw it...i dont race that much anyway and if I do ill do it the good ole fashioned way...we shall see, ima work on it when I get home today
Erik
Old 02-09-2007, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

It's the line lock. I had the same problem with mine. It dosen't matter if its wired up or not . The soleniod gets restricted somehow.Put the stk line back on, and call SLP. I replaced mine and everything is fine now.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Will do , Thanks alot buddy

Erik
Old 02-09-2007, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

I called SLP and an answering machine came on when I tried to speak to someone at customer service...ummm
I didnt leave a message because my ratio of messages left/company responded is VERY LOW...I will try later...
Old 02-09-2007, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

I think I got through fairly easy. I called early in the morning. Good luck
Old 02-09-2007, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

what did you tell them exactly, I am not sure how to go about telling them the problem and implying that their product is the cause...see what I am saying..

Erik
Old 02-09-2007, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

I was just out of warranty. The part sat for a while before I installed it. I told the rep. form SLP the line lock was causing the brakes to stay applied after I released the brake pedal. I wasn't using the LL when this happened, and it was the front brakes only. I also unplugged the connectors at the LL for the hell of it. It didn't help. Now yours isn't wired yet, so it's not a electrical issue either. You could hear and feel my LL whease( thats the only whey I can describe it) as the brakes were aggressivly or moderatly applied. Now with mine if I flipped the switch on/ off on /off it seemed to helped free the dam thing up. I was lucky enough to be able to get back to work (I was on my lunch when this happened).
I didn't want to go through the hastle of sending the LL to SLP to determine if it was warrantable or not. I believe thats thier policy. I also didn't want to wait for replacement part. I was able to buy just the solenoid. Now that was 2 months ago and I havn't seen the bill show up on my statement yet, so they may have desided to warranty it for me. The rep. had heard of the problem before, but not that often. Who ever you talk to should be aware of this problem already.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

it was the line lock..i removed it and rebled, PERFECT, no problems other than MOUNDS of dust from the HAWKS....but they stop! Thanks Santino!

THANKS GUYS

next step: call SLP on monday!

Quick Reply: Need help asap! Brakes locked up.