Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

SLP Blistiens VS. KYB Adjustables

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP Blistiens VS. KYB Adjustables

I don't have a ton of money to spend. And i have a set of Eibach Prokit springs, and i want to go ahead and put new struts on my 98 T/A A4.
The SLP Blistiens and the KYB adjusatbles are prity much the same price. I want good all around. its my daily, i take it to the track, and i like corners.
Which is the better?
Getting them from WS6store, so if u want info on the struts, look them up there.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

The bilstiens aren't a bad shock at all, KYB got it's nick name Keep Ya Bouncing for a reason, I've never found anyone happy with them.

I know alot of people with cars varring from 4000+ lbs to under 1900 whom all didn't like them.

I'd go with a tried and true budget part, have you thought about stranos revavled bilstien?
Old 02-23-2007, 07:22 PM
TECH Junkie

SLP Bilsteins are valved for the Eibach springs that came with that setup. These are not the same springs as the Prokit.

I have no experience with the KYB AGX shocks, but the GasAJust shocks are not well-valved for our cars. I know this because I tried to run them on my Camaro when I got Hotchkis springs. They were OK for a while, but after 15K miles, I had to upgrade because they were just too soft. I now run Koni SA's and love them. I recommend them to everyone.

Your best bet is to call Sam Strano and discuss it with him. He can set you up with a set of re-valved Bilsteins that will do well for YOUR setup and YOUR driving style. What you won't get is a shock that does well for daily driving AND the track AND corners, unless you're willing to spend the money on Koni SA's and are willing to take the time to adjust them for each application (meaning you can't drive straight from the autocross to the 1/4 mile track and expect optimal results without making some adjustments).

-Mike
Old 02-23-2007, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

Nah, no autocross, just going up and down ramps from the highway with a little speed.
So the KYB's are out. Does stranos have a website?
Old 02-23-2007, 11:53 PM
TECH Junkie

http://www.stranoparts.com

Your best bet is to call him on his tech line and talk to him. He'll talk your ear off and give you way more information than you think you need, but it's very worth it.

-Mike
Old 02-24-2007, 09:25 AM
Teching In

Call him! He'll hook you right up! If he doesnt answer leave a message, he'll get back with ya. And when I spoke with him he said his website doesnt have anywhere close to all the stuff he carries.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:36 AM
TECH Regular

from what i saw his blistiens are like another 200 bux more, lil to heavy for my pocket i think.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTERthanYOU
from what i saw his blistiens are like another 200 bux more, lil to heavy for my pocket i think.

I like to swim against the tide, I guess...........

I have the Eibach Pro Kit springs. They've been on my '96 Z-28 since the car was a couple of months old. I stayed with the OE shocks for several years before going with the SLP Bilsteins back in 2000. I'm satisfied with the way the car rides/handles. It's a lot better that the Eibachs and stock DeCarbons were.

Maybe there are better set ups out there, but I'm not wealthy enough to try them all. Yes, I know about Sam Strano, but I did the swap long before I was aware of him and/or this website. I had some extra $$ at the time, and shortly thereafter, I got a flyer in the mail from SLP. The flyer said their Bilsteins were valved for lowering springs...I bought them.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

I've got the same exact setup on my 95 TA vert as leadfoot4. I don't autocross or anything like that, just driving it and an occasional drove it like you stole it.
The Eibachs and Bilsteins are THE setup for this kind of driving IMO.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

KYBs are CRAP! I had the SLP bilsteins (factory option) and swapped for the KYBs. Bad decision on my part s the KYBs just never road as nice or as firm. Save for the Bilsteins. I'm now running QA1s all around with eibach pro kit in the rear.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have kyb's adjut,, agx and they have been ok for about 4 yrs now. im runnin hypercoil springs. recently i have been feelin alot more bounce going of bump on the freeway other then that they havent been an issue
Old 02-24-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have debated this alot before on which shocks to get. i didn't want to spend the money either, but all i can say is that i did and got the koni's from sam and it was the best move i ever made. my friend that put the shocks in for me is a GM tech for the past 9 years and he drove my car the first time today to work with the decarbons on rk sport springs and the drove it home with the konis. i called him to see how everything went and this is what he said to me.. "dude i didn't understand why you bought shocks that costed so much, now i completly understand and you car is the best riding f-body i have ever driven or ridden in my entire time at my shop. It handles like its on rails and the steering is so responsive. wait till you drive it. i know see why there so expensive and there well worth it." well when i drove it i was completly amazed its is exactly what he said and im on stock 16's for the winter. i can't wait to put on sam's swaybars and my new 18" rims to see what i dose then. all in all. just save your money and buy the best the first time. you wont be dissapointed. hope this helps ya.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

I had the same problem. I didnt want to spend a bunch of money on the konis. I did a little research a found almost nothing good about kyb. For lowered cars, the bilstiens dont last long. So i decided to save my money a little longer and get konis. I dont have them yet but i should be getting them in about 2 weeks. I cant wait

Quick Reply: SLP Blistiens VS. KYB Adjustables