Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Idependent Rear Sespension (IRS)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idependent Rear Sespension (IRS)

and I aint talking about those stupid ***** that take all your money out of your checks.. haha but i have a 67 camaro.. and i love it to death.. but it just doesnt handle corners the way i want it to.. so i would like to try to put irs in it.. i am not trying to spend a arm and a leg just to customize it.. i wish i could.. i seen a article in a magazine for a kit that bolts right up to it.. and it had to the inboard braking system on it.. anybody know anything about converting the system .. let me know

Big D
Old 03-04-2007, 11:39 PM
TECH Junkie

I think there are other solutions to handling corners better which would be a lot more cost effective. What kind of limited slip differential do you have? What size swaybars? What kind of springs/shocks do you have?

Unfortunately I don't really know whats available for the 1st gen. But a good differential is the T2R. That will help you go through corners faster.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Big_D
and I aint talking about those stupid ***** that take all your money out of your checks.. haha but i have a 67 camaro.. and i love it to death.. but it just doesnt handle corners the way i want it to.. so i would like to try to put irs in it.. i am not trying to spend a arm and a leg just to customize it.. i wish i could.. i seen a article in a magazine for a kit that bolts right up to it.. and it had to the inboard braking system on it.. anybody know anything about converting the system .. let me know

Big D
I believe your refering to the setup wayne due had. His shop is now closed unfortunately. There are several other shops that due this conversion though, like Rick Roush. Googling Wayne Due IRS Camaro should get you started. The kits are weld-ins and included bracketry only, you'll have to find a c4 vette rearend on your own, though that shouldn't be too difficult.

http://www.waynedue.com/web/Products/irs.html
Old 03-05-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Big_D

Big D
Oh no, I know what your talking about. Dutchman IRS
http://www.dutchmanms.com/1_irsnav.html

Factory Five also makes an IRS setup, though the brakes are not inbound.
http://parts.factoryfive.com/newcatalog/chassis/irs.htm
Old 03-05-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are better websites for older cars to be setup as g-machines. unfortunately, its not cheap. but i can't remember the site off the top of my head
Old 03-05-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

i'm running QA1 coilovers on all 4 corners, multi leaf springs, willwood brakes, hotchkis sway bars (cant remember the sizes for the life of me) and she handles just as good if not better then most the sports cars i've driven (which ranges from other restored muscle cars to exotics)..excellent for autocross and road racing..in fact if i were to race the car in SCCA or Vintage, i wouldn't change my setup unless mandated by rules.

but i would eventually like to switch to an IRS setup...more pics/info in sig
Old 03-08-2007, 12:46 AM
TECH Addict

i guess i forgot to mention i have global west upper/lower control arms too
Old 03-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
Oh no, I know what your talking about. Dutchman IRS
http://www.dutchmanms.com/1_irsnav.html

Factory Five also makes an IRS setup, though the brakes are not inbound.
http://parts.factoryfive.com/newcatalog/chassis/irs.htm

yo MY MAIN MAN right there.. that first one was exactly (dutchman, could have wacked me with a stick harder than that) what i was looking for.. for anyone that else posted here.. i appriciate the look outs.. i have been searching the net like crazy.. i find **** beside what people have customized in their car.. and unfortunely i can't afford to pay some ******* crazy *** genius to set the geometry for my car.. i would rather just bolt that **** in.. it seems like that other rear end will up stronger (factory five)..

BUT.. IF ANYONE ELSE HAS SOME COOL INFO THEY WOULD LIKE TO SHARE WITH ME, THAT WOULD BE GREAT!

Quick Reply: Idependent Rear Sespension (IRS)