Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How important is it to get your rotors turned when doing the brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How important is it to get your rotors turned when doing the brakes?

My pads are shot and I need to do the brakes this week. I got my rotors 2 year ago and they still seem fine...no warping as far as I can tell. Most stores no longer turn rotors and I don't want to buy new rotors again if they have only been through one set of pads. Would it be ok if I just leave them on as is?
Old 04-03-2007, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could just be me, but if their not warped, leave em alone. Ive only turned em, when they were warped. No problems here.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:01 AM
On the tree

Most store dont turn rotos????

Every Oriellys, Autozone I know of turns them still. As long as the rotor is with the turnable specs there should be no issues.

Like was said, unless you are having some pulsing coming thru the brake pedal that would indicate the rotor is warped just change the pads and be done with it.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I decide to not turn the rotors, I will take wet-or-dry sandpaper and crosshatch them. Just take the sandpaper and sand across the rotor. Not in the direction of rotation, but from inside to the outside (and back). This will break up the glaze which will always end up on the rotor. I have done this for many years with 100% or so success. Also, I will sand the pads themselves prior to installation to remove any manufacturing issues and fingerprints that may have occured.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:49 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Id get a caliper to verify its not warped, otherwise some sand paper. If the rotors are new and wrapped you could hit it with brake cleen.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

If they've only seen one set of pads you should be good, I never ever turn rotors, when you remove that metal they are more susceptible to warping as the rotor itself gets thinner. Just my $.02
Old 04-04-2007, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

FYI, I worked at Autozone for almost a year, as far as Ohio goes, they stopped turning rotors years ago from what I was told, wasn't worth the money. BUT I know for a fact Pep Boys does them for around $8/each.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jaguar5822
FYI, I worked at Autozone for almost a year, as far as Ohio goes, they stopped turning rotors years ago from what I was told, wasn't worth the money. BUT I know for a fact Pep Boys does them for around $8/each.
I agree. When I replaced the pads on the back, the rotors needed to be turned (before I had a line lock system). Pep boys turned them (don't remember the cost) and they have worked fine since then.
Just a note, most rotors can only be turned once, then you replace them. A multitude of posts of what to replace them with (slotted, drilled, blank, etc.)

Quick Reply: How important is it to get your rotors turned when doing the brakes?