Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

So I got me an adjustable PHB, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 05:53 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default So I got me an adjustable PHB, now what?

I bought an adjustable Panhard Bar from Dynamic Motorsports (DMS). So now what do I do with it? They asked if i was going to run bigger wheels/tires in the future - I said yes - they said I needed it. Right now the only suspension mods are KYB Shocks, DMS Springs and a 3-point STB.

I've also heard that the rear-end is not centered from teh factory? So right now, what can i do with it besides making my rear-end look pretty?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-26-2003, 07:45 PM
TECH Regular

Default Re: So I got me an adjustable PHB, now what?

Some people tie a string to a magnet and measure the distance from the string to the centercap on the wheel (when it is on the ground). Adjust the panhard rod so that it is equal...
Old 04-26-2003, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought i read somewhere, where the drive shaft should be 90 deg to the rear. or something like that i cant think of it. so anyone know whats the right way to measure that?
BTW you need a adj panhard if your car is lowerd
Old 04-26-2003, 09:10 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

Thanks guys, I'll be doing that all tomorrow. Any other tips you can give me to do this properly?
Old 04-27-2003, 07:38 AM
TECH Regular

One thing that gets a lot of people is that they tighten all the bolts with the car in the air. It's more of a PITA, but make sure to have the jack under the differential and the load off the jacks when you put the final squeeze on the bolts. That will keep your bushings from binding and squeaking as much. Panhard rod install is about as easy as it gets... adjusting one isn't much more difficult.
Old 04-27-2003, 02:25 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

Some people tie a string to a magnet and measure the distance from the string to the centercap on the wheel (when it is on the ground). Adjust the panhard rod so that it is equal...
Where do they stick the magnet?

I jsut want to make sure I completely understand everything before i do this.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is how I "centered" my diff ...

I adjusted the the PHB to match the length of the stock unit and installed it. Don't worry about torque for right now ... just snug it.

I took it off the jack stands asnd behind my car, in my driveway, I sprayed a puddle of water. I then rolled the car straight through it and looked at the water tracks made by the tires. I made a note of how far off the "track" was, took it back inside the shop, adjusted accordingly and repeated the process.

It was a PITA, but I was absolutely sure the rear was tracking over the fronts ...

Don't forget to tighten those bolts, though ....
Old 04-28-2003, 09:39 AM
TECH Regular

I just stuck them on the fender so that the line would hang through the center of the wheel. Add a small weight to the other end so it stays straight. It doesn't really matter if you are off +/- 1/2" foward or towards the rear of the car... just close. The important thing is that the distance from the string to the tire (I used the center of the rim) is the same on each side.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:17 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

I just stuck them on the fender so that the line would hang through the center of the wheel. Add a small weight to the other end so it stays straight. It doesn't really matter if you are off +/- 1/2" foward or towards the rear of the car... just close. The important thing is that the distance from the string to the tire (I used the center of the rim) is the same on each side.
gotcha! thanks a lot for your help
Old 05-01-2003, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

I'm getting ready to install my adjustable PHR soon too. I've done quite a few install jobs on my car and feel confident I'll be able to do this fine, but I've never done anything with grease or a grease gun.

I've read through Install University along with other posts on the board, but can someone give me more specific tips as far as greasing this baby goes?

I'm not exactly sure where I'm going to squirt the grease gun exactly into once I have it installed. On Install U. it also says:

"You will need to grab a 5/16” wrench/socket and unscrew the fitting and let the grease work its way back out."

Can anyone better describe this procedure to me? Thanks!
Old 05-01-2003, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

Mine has what I think are called Zirk fittings at each end close to the bushings. The grease gun should have a metal tip that the Zirk fittings pushes into (it has a little ball bearing-like thing in the center). You need to loosen the bushing bolts when you pump grease into the LCA/Panhard rod... if the bushings are tight, then no grease will enter.
Old 05-01-2003, 07:56 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks... I'm starting to get the idea, but does anyone have any close up pics that they can show me that point out these different things so it might be easier for me to see?
Old 05-02-2003, 11:53 AM
Staging Lane

ttt

Quick Reply: So I got me an adjustable PHB, now what?