Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

C5 Brake Upgrade and Smoothie II's

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 Brake Upgrade and Smoothie II's

I have 17" Smothie II's on my car and am about to order the C5 brake upgrade. Does anyone know if they will fit? I just want to double check before I spend all the money on them and cut the spindles up to install them. I just don't want to screw myself over.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Launching!

When I was doing my C5 conversion, we did some test fitting of some friends wheels. One has a set of 17" Smoothies of a '69 Camaro, and his spokes would have hit the top of the caliper. I don't know how this will translate to the offset of the 4th gen wheels, but I thought I would share.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which C5 kit were you going to do? They might have different clearances. I know the Kore kit will give you a template to measure with. Not sure about the others.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 68z28
When I was doing my C5 conversion, we did some test fitting of some friends wheels. One has a set of 17" Smoothies of a '69 Camaro, and his spokes would have hit the top of the caliper. I don't know how this will translate to the offset of the 4th gen wheels, but I thought I would share.
That's the exact place I'm thinking it will hit.

Originally Posted by Trent
Which C5 kit were you going to do? They might have different clearances. I know the Kore kit will give you a template to measure with. Not sure about the others.
They aren't a sponser so I won't say which kit but I will look into Kore's template and see if that'll help me out.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Chad,

Don't forget we are a sponsor of this site and your site

AND

We offer the C5 kits

I am unsure of those wheels as I have never used them and I do not have a template available... I need to make one.

Ryan
Old 05-18-2007, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Hello Chad,

AND

We offer the C5 kits

I am unsure of those wheels as I have never used them and I do not have a template available... I need to make one.

Ryan
Ryan,
Yeah it's kinda frustrating not being able to tell if they'll fit. I'm thinking the top of the spokes are going to rub a little but I can't tell for sure.
BTW I've gotten tons of compliments on the pistol grip shifter. I can't even count how many people I told who made it at Speed Inc's open house and Outlaw's dyno day. I will get pictures up but my camara broke on me.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:48 AM
TECH Addict

You can ship your wheels to me and ill let you know if they fit .
My SS wheels there was about a hair of clearance between the caliper and a inner wheel weight.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SpdFrk1990
You can ship your wheels to me and ill let you know if they fit .
My SS wheels there was about a hair of clearance between the caliper and a inner wheel weight.
See it's not the wheel part I'm scared of. There's a dish to the wheels so the spokes come back to the main wheels. I really think the caliper will hit the spokes which is what they do on the Torque Thrust II's.
I wish you did live closer so we could just toss the wheel on and find out.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:22 AM
TECH Addict

There was 1 guy on the boards I seen with the c5 brakes and tt2's he just had a slim spacer I forget the size tho.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SpdFrk1990
There was 1 guy on the boards I seen with the c5 brakes and tt2's he just had a slim spacer I forget the size tho.
I didn't think of that and I bet that would work.

Thanks I'll look into it.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Hello Chad,

AND

We offer the C5 kits

Ryan
Well I left your banners up because I believe in you and your company. You only actually paid for the first three months and that was over a year ago. Plus when I go to your site you have "We are proud to sponsor the following:", you list all the other sites your banenrs are on but not mine so I assumed you didn't want anything to do with us.

As for the brake kit I can get it for almost $400 cheaper than what you sell it for so that's why I'm going with them. And yes they have quality brakets and not the cheap ones you see come up from time to time.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

Anyone have an idea of what size spacers I should get? I want to buy the smallest ones possible but I don't want to have to buy a ton of them to end up with the right size either.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

dood at most.. you'll need a 2-4mm spacer.. not a big deal..
Old 05-22-2007, 05:44 PM
11 Second Club

Hmm Chad, how soon are you planning on doing these brakes? I just ordered mine too, but I probably won't get to install them til mid-June. Were you going to have yours together before then? If not, I wouldn't mind taking a ride up there as I've got some friends in Milwaukee I wouldn't mind visiting.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
dood at most.. you'll need a 2-4mm spacer.. not a big deal..
You think it'll be that small? I just don't want to buy a set and have them not be large enough or be to large and have to buy a new set of spacers. I really don't feel like wasting my money on tons of sets.

Originally Posted by DuronClocker
Hmm Chad, how soon are you planning on doing these brakes? I just ordered mine too, but I probably won't get to install them til mid-June. Were you going to have yours together before then? If not, I wouldn't mind taking a ride up there as I've got some friends in Milwaukee I wouldn't mind visiting.
If I buy them I'll install them within a weeks time for sure. I don't mind at all if you stop by, in fact I am alwasy trying to get GTG's for local FBodies.