Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What do you guys think of BMR Swaybars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What do you guys think of BMR Swaybars?

BMR SWAYBAR FRONT/REAR SET

Are these what I'm looking for or do I want them to be thicker for better cornering and handling?
Old 05-20-2007, 10:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eh, I'd go with Strano's swaybars. Not 100% sure but: Stock sway bars are 30mm, and upgrading to 32mm for 189.99 doesn't sound like a good bang for buck. Even though I don't have them, I keep hearing great reviews from people about the Strano swaybars that they provide the most neutral position on cornering. They are 35mm and hollow. 35mm are thicker and the fact that it is hollow saves you about 14 lbs, I believe. Side note: Strano springs are 44 lbs lighter than regular springs!!!

IMO, Strano is the way to go.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:00 PM
TECH Junkie

. . . . oops, that sounds misleading. I was only refering to the front ones. The rear ones, I believe are 21mm?
Old 05-20-2007, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

yeah, definitely go with some hollow bars over the solid ones.....Hotchkis are what i have and they are hollow, but if you don't get them at a discount like i did (group purchase), they are a bit expensive......otherwise, go with Sam Strano's hollow bars
Old 05-21-2007, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

several models already have 32mm front bars. solid bars are like half a percent stiffer and weigh a lot more. Don't go anything less than 34mm front or you're not really upgrading.

the Strano bars are hard to beat any way you look at them.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

strano it is. thanks guys!
Old 05-21-2007, 11:01 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
Eh, I'd go with Strano's swaybars. Not 100% sure but: Stock sway bars are 30mm, and upgrading to 32mm for 189.99 doesn't sound like a good bang for buck. Even though I don't have them, I keep hearing great reviews from people about the Strano swaybars that they provide the most neutral position on cornering. They are 35mm and hollow. 35mm are thicker and the fact that it is hollow saves you about 14 lbs, I believe. Side note: Strano springs are 44 lbs lighter than regular springs!!!

IMO, Strano is the way to go.
Actually, the spring are about 13 less than most other springs, not 44 (not sure where that came from).

My front bar is 35, the rear is 22. Both are hollow and the front uses a thicker wall tubing. I have them on my car, I've won National Championships with them....

32 in front with a stock 19 is fine for balance. More roll than most would want, but a 32 is certainly and upgrade from a 30. 32/21 or 32/22 combos are not balanced, and it gets worse with some certain lowering springs and/or binding Rear LCA's which also add roll stiffness. So aside from the ratio front to rear, there is also the weight. And compared to a solid 32/21 setup my bars are about 15 pounds less,about 20 vs. a solid 35/21 combo, close to 25 lbs. compared to solid 35/25(which is too much rear anyway).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-21-2007, 11:03 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
yeah, definitely go with some hollow bars over the solid ones.....Hotchkis are what i have and they are hollow, but if you don't get them at a discount like i did (group purchase), they are a bit expensive......otherwise, go with Sam Strano's hollow bars
Price is one thing, but correct sizing is another. Hotchkis makes nice stuff, I sell it too.... but the rear bar is just too big. If it was right I'd have never had to make mine. I even tried talking to them about using their front and making me a rear, they didn't want to hear it, and wouldn't even just sell me fronts. Hence, we did our own.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-21-2007, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Actually, the spring are about 13 less than most other springs, not 44 (not sure where that came from).

My front bar is 35, the rear is 22. Both are hollow and the front uses a thicker wall tubing. I have them on my car, I've won National Championships with them....

32 in front with a stock 19 is fine for balance. More roll than most would want, but a 32 is certainly and upgrade from a 30. 32/21 or 32/22 combos are not balanced, and it gets worse with some certain lowering springs and/or binding Rear LCA's which also add roll stiffness. So aside from the ratio front to rear, there is also the weight. And compared to a solid 32/21 setup my bars are about 15 pounds less,about 20 vs. a solid 35/21 combo, close to 25 lbs. compared to solid 35/25(which is too much rear anyway).
Sam, what would you recommend with my car i am getting ready to install some lowering springs, not sure which ones yet probably an Eibach Pro Kit. The car will be riding on 18x9.5 front and 19x10.5 rear C6's. I've already got a BMR Strut Tower Brace. Also i need to purchase some shocks while i'm at it i suppose?
Old 05-21-2007, 11:26 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'm happy to help you out, but things have to work together (and work toward a goal). We'd basically want to talk over shocks, springs, and bars at one time--even if you aren't buying all three at the same time.

The issue here is that I can't do it by e-mail. Far too many variables that most folks just don't consider. I have technical help line (which I don't charge for), you just pay for the call. Please don't use the order line, I don't mind helping when I can, but it's a little hard to pay to give help.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

okay when i decide with my springs and shocks ill give you a call, is there any recommendation on them? i dont want to break the bank right now, but i know that there's good shocks and springs for the money out there.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:40 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The point was we can discuss those as well (and I do a lot of shock/spring setups too). Sure, I have recommendations, but I can't give them out with what little I know about what you are after.

Quick Reply: What do you guys think of BMR Swaybars?