Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

quick question...bolts on shock up or down?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default quick question...bolts on shock up or down?

front shocks where it bolts on at the bottom with two long bolts, where do the bolts slide in throught? the top or the bottom. In other words, where does the nut go?
Old 07-01-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

do it the same way you took it off. i believe it was nuts up. doesnt really matter, but id do nuts up just to keep the bolt threads more protected then hanging down near the road.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should always put a bolt in with the ability for the nut to fall off / or be damaged so the bolt can't fall out if it looses the nut. So, bolt should go from the top down with the nut on the bottom.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

That's how I did mine. Drop bolts in from top. If for some reason the nut let's loose, the bolt is at least chilling there holding things together anyways. With the nut on top, if it somehow backed off and the bolt backed itself out, your shock is somewhat free to move where it wants on impact.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

From the factory, the bolts go in from the bottom and nut is on top. The bolts are long and if you do them from the top and you bottom out on something, they'll bend or break off and you'll have a hell of a time getting them out. Just torque them down properly and you won't have to worry about them falling out.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

I know how they come from the factory, but I think you'd have a better chance of the nut backing off than that part of the A-arm bottoming out. If that were to happen anyways, I imagine you'd have problems a bit worse than a couple bolts that are torn up.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:31 AM
12 Second Club

If you can bottom out the car hard enough to get to those bolts, you have done some major damage and the car problem won't be moving after that incident. Put them in from the top and torque them down to the proper spec. DuronClocker is suggesting the same thing I was saying. I believe these are the two bolts your talking about coming down from the A-Arm. I have changed out to BMR's upper & lower A-Arms and even the stock A-Arm would be next to impossible to damage the bolt or nuts without destroying the car.

Here is a pic for reference, you can see my bolts are from the top down:

Old 07-02-2007, 06:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96silverram
You should always put a bolt in with the ability for the nut to fall off / or be damaged so the bolt can't fall out if it looses the nut. So, bolt should go from the top down with the nut on the bottom.
+1

Concerns about thread damage or bent bolts is a tiny, tiny concern.

But, if the head of the bolt is damaged from the same mishap, you'll have to destroy the bolt head getting it off. So, either way, you'll have to replace the bolt and nut.

Replacing a bent bolt is cheaper that replacing a bent shock if the nut comes off and you lose the bolt holding the shock in place while driving.

For those who disagree, are your torque arm bolts in from the top or the bottom? Why no concern for "buggered" threads on the torque arm?
Old 07-02-2007, 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

I didn't realize shock bolts falling off the car was such an epedimic . I'm going out right now to put mine on upside down so I can sleep at night.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the tips...that is exactly what i did...Hotchkis drop is on just finishing up the header and OFY install to slap on the tires and see the difference.

Quick Reply: quick question...bolts on shock up or down?