Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
View Poll Results: Which is better? Konis/stock springs vs Strano springs/ Bilstein revalves
Konis/stock springs
45.00%
Strano springs (1.2" lower)/ Bilstein revalves
45.00%
Other
10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Konis/stock springs vs strano springs/Bilstein revalves

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Konis/stock springs vs strano springs/Bilstein revalves

Like the title says, which do you guy would be the better set-up for handling and as a DD. My car is a fair weather driver that sees the track occatioanally (road course). These two set-ups cost about the same, so which one would be the best bang for the buck. I don't have the coin to do Strano springs and Konis. Thanks
Old 07-25-2007, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

I'd say grab the Koni's now. They're the best you're going to get for that money. set the front springs on the lower perch and heater hose mod the rears. You could even cut 3/4 off of the stock springs if you want a little drop and are willing to do that for now. The stock springs are decent springs on their own. If you PM people who have cut them, most of them don't have much bad to say unless they went crazy and hacked off more than a coil.

Then when the time comes you can grab some aftermarket springs; Strano's or whatnot.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:11 PM
TECH Junkie

That's kind of a hard question to answer for you. It all comes down to whether or not you like the daily driveability of the strano springs with the revalves or not. I'm pretty sure by "fair weather driver" you mean theres another vehicle you use to for pretty much daily driveability. If so then the strano springs and revalves will really transform your car the way that stock springs can't in my opinion. If you can find someone who has a strano/koni or revalve setup, go give their car a drive and make your decision based upon how you like it.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm in the same situation myself. I'm trying to make a decision between basically those same exact setups. My car is a DD, but I'm 20...What do I care if it doesn't ride like a cadillac? Just as long as it performs.

I do believe I will be going with Konis on stock springs for the time being until I save up the funds to finish the job. Or, I may just wait until I have all of the money at once, and get the Konis and springs at the same time.

I've pretty much convinced myself that the Konis would be leaps and bounds above the Bilstein setup. I want to set my car up to how I want it, and if that changes, well then I want to have that flexibility.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Strano springs will not ruin your ride. I held off for fear of ride quality reduction. But now that I pulled the trigger, I love them! The car rides like it should have in the 1st place. It is firm, and you will feel dips and rises. But harshness is actually reduced (ever expansion joints and similar). I like my Konis also..haven't run revalves...but I think the revalves and strano springs would be a good compromise. I would definately do springs same time as shocks...why instal the front shocks twice, right.

Last edited by subtlez28; 08-09-2007 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

What is one (myself) didn't want to lower the vehicle for one reason or another. Is it possible to just buy slightly higher spring rate springs (as in 1le if I could find some) and run konis and still see a marginal improvement over the stock setup? I want to make the v6 car a street-only (once it gets the ls motor transplant) for the most part. If anyone has done this, and reads this , PLEASE chime in.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

No body else has an opinion on this? Only eight people voted. The vote is four a piece.

To reiterate, I'm looking for a set-up that would be respectable at the track but also nice to drive on the street.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:08 PM
Teching In

First off, if you're going to sink the money into the Koni's then buy the springs also. If you've got enough money to buy the Koni's, which are what...~$750-$800/set, then buy the springs too. 1)Koni's work with any spring but don't compromise if you're willing to buy those expensive shocks. You want the full benefit right? and 2) Do the install once..As stated the fronts can be a pain...

Last, I think the Bilstein's are great and couple that with those Strano springs (and an alignment..) and you'll have a nice handling car.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

im going to do revalves and strano springs for the exact same reason u stated... money... honestly i think ill be happy with pretty much anything that isnt the stock shocks... has anyone have both konis and revalves before? is there really much difference? other than a lighter wallet?
Old 08-07-2007, 06:22 PM
Teching In

I just installed the Konis with Strano springs and I lOVE it. I was in the same situation as you and decided to wait and save up an extra couple hundred to do it right. I'm so glad I did. It rides and looks great. Its also my DD and cant believe how well it handles now. Makes stock feel like a "land yacht".
Old 08-07-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Koni SAs on the stock springs and I enjoy them. The ride is stiffer than stock obviously so you will certainly notice the difference on crappy roads.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ive yet to see anyone say they hate their revalved bilsteins or their konis... so how do i know if the konis are truly better than the bilsteins? can sam chime in? im sure to make his revalves hes had to test drive them... and im pretty sure he said he has konis on his car... so what really is the difference in feeling between the two? should i just put the extra 200 saved toward an ls6 intake?
Old 08-07-2007, 10:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Silas2k
ive yet to see anyone say they hate their revalved bilsteins or their konis... so how do i know if the konis are truly better than the bilsteins? can sam chime in? im sure to make his revalves hes had to test drive them... and im pretty sure he said he has konis on his car... so what really is the difference in feeling between the two? should i just put the extra 200 saved toward an ls6 intake?
It's pretty simple. Bilstein revalves are like having konis set permanantly on one setting, non adjustable. So if you feel like you will want to tweak your settings or change springs someday, Konis are what you want. So Koni's are better in that they provide adjustment, as well as having two spring perch settings in case you want the car lower.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:59 AM
TECH Regular

I just changed to Koni's and Strano springs, and what a differnce over a pro kit and Bilstiens. Feels like a completely differnet car, I just cruise in mine, cruise nights and car shows, and it handles great, very smooth now, and the lower perch but the ride hieght perfect with my wheel and tire combo
Old 08-08-2007, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rocket22
I just changed to Koni's and Strano springs, and what a differnce over a pro kit and Bilstiens. Feels like a completely differnet car, I just cruise in mine, cruise nights and car shows, and it handles great, very smooth now, and the lower perch but the ride hieght perfect with my wheel and tire combo
I didn't think you were supposed to use the lower spring perch on the Konis if you were using lowered springs. I think you run the risk of bottoming out the shock and causing problems.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:27 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

I didn't vote.... because I can't. "better" is a relative term, and one isn't really better than another. Different. I'll add that I never conceived of Revalves as 100%replacements for Koni's. You give up damping adjustment, you give up a lieftime warranty. Revalves exist because Bilstein, for some reasons unknown to me, didn't make a Sport shock and the HD is not really very good at handling stiffer springs (and frankly I feel lacks damping even on stock springs).

At this time Bilstein's are on National backorder, so I can't build Revalves until that's rectified. I'm about 3 weeks out on my springs. Koni's are available. Maybe that helps.

Maybe this helps. You know how I'm always telling you that the shocks are the key????? They are. And if you have Koni's you always have enough shock to add springs later if you wish.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-10-2007, 11:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What if you don't want to lower the car or not that much anyways? Than what is reccommended?
Old 08-11-2007, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Websy21
What if you don't want to lower the car or not that much anyways? Than what is reccommended?
Koni's and use the upper perch. No need to do anything more than install them.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do your shock and spring install at the same time. You will thank us later.

Quick Reply: Konis/stock springs vs strano springs/Bilstein revalves