Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Life of shocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 02:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Life of shocks

I have a 2002 WS6. How many miles can I drive before shocks need replacing? Then I'll put on some good Koni's. Or is another brand better. Thanks.
Old 05-29-2003, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

Default Re: Life of shocks

i put about 50k on my 2001 before i changed them out. they are still in grat condition, but i opted for a set of kyb 8-way adj. just as good as koni's but a little cheeper.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not a big fan of the stock shocks. But, they will likely go 50,000 miles on a car with stock suspension with no problems. I suspect that you'll be very happy with the results after you change the shocks. I like my Koni's, but Tokico Illumina 5 shocks are great shocks (bang for the buck) and they are adjustable. Good luck!
Old 05-30-2003, 06:11 AM
12 Second Club

If you are serious about any kind of racing ( autox and road race ), there are only 2 choices.

Koni's ( SA or DA )
and
Revalved Bilsteins

Old 06-02-2003, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

I have 60k miles on my 99 TA and was wondering what kind of shocks you reccomend me getting. I don't often race my car, but if I do it is street racing. Bilstein shocks any good? What does everyone reccomend? I don't want to pay fortune either. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

but i opted for a set of kyb 8-way adj. just as good as koni's but a little cheeper.
Not exactly.... Cheaper, you bet. Just as good, nope.... well maybe in the ads.

KYB's are not in the same league as the Koni's. Koni's will damp much better at a relatively lower setting. This is good because it doesn't force you to turn them up to keep the car tied down. Also Koni's have a huge valving range, much bigger than KYB's do.

As for the KYB. They work, but you get what you pay for. KYB valves their shock not on what they think it should be, but rather on a percentage basis from the stock shock. And most agree the stockers aren't exactly great. If the stock shock is valved really well, then the KYB's won't be too bad and will get X amount stiffer on each setting. If the stock shock sucks the KYB's, using those as a basis are hampered with similar valving issues.

Stick with Koni or Bilstein. You get much more durability and better ride quality with better damping.

IMHO
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 06-04-2003, 07:28 AM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long will Bilsteins last? After that time would I just send them to Strano to get them revalved to like new state? Or do I have to buy new ones?
Old 06-05-2003, 12:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

my revalved bilstiens are getting installed right now and as a matter of fact i never even thought to ask what i need to do when it comes time for new shocks, nor did i ask how long they would last, i guess i better give him a call.
Old 06-05-2003, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

I love my Koni DA's!!!!

Call Sam Strano, he'll be able to help you out I'm sure.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Life of shocks