Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Is there a more appealing alternative to the BFH?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 02:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is there a more appealing alternative to the BFH?

As opposed to the primal beating in of the inner fenderwell is there a more suave alternative? Like actually usually using some sort of formed metal to beat it into shape. I dont like the idea of awkward looking dents and scratches under there. I want it to look natural. Any ideas?

Erik
Old 09-10-2007, 02:12 AM
On The Tree

Bfh! Bfh! Bfh! Bfh!
Old 09-10-2007, 02:30 AM
TECH Resident

mini tub it.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ErikElvis
As opposed to the primal beating in of the inner fenderwell is there a more suave alternative? Like actually usually using some sort of formed metal to beat it into shape. I dont like the idea of awkward looking dents and scratches under there. I want it to look natural. Any ideas?

Erik
Get the right offset wheels and the right width that just fits without needing any modification.

BFH is no big deal. You won't see your inner wheel wells, nor will you be able to tell once you recoated it and have the wheels on
Old 09-10-2007, 07:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Oh yeah and since I was a noob at one point, and I didn't have any preknowledge of any acronyms, BFH = Big F-in Hammer
Old 09-10-2007, 09:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you can shape with a hammer as well. just take a little time in doing it and it would look smooth no big deal
Old 09-10-2007, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've wondered if the contraption they use to roll the outer fender lip would be reversible- or if you could come up with a rig that would do the same thing- and use it to roll down the inner fender
Old 09-10-2007, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LILWS6
you can shape with a hammer as well. just take a little time in doing it and it would look smooth no big deal
That's what a BFG is. Big F'in Hammer. You can pick up a cheap dolly set for about 50 to 75 bucks but it's still a hammer.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a more appealing alternative to the BFH?
Yeah, roll the rear fender lips and get the wheel backspacing right through some combination of wheel selection and/or spacer thickness.

I run 315s on all four corners (as many others do) on a lowered (not slammed) car. I never even thought about hitting it with a hammer, nothing rubs and yes, I can jack the car up however I want.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Judging by another post by ErikElvis he's concerned that a bfh may send the resale value of his car down in 30 years---->Yeah keep weldin! My car will be worth more in 30 yrs without all this crap welded on!

from this thread--->https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...1&page=3&pp=20

Most of us bought these cars to enjoy them today. If you bought the Camaro as a investment, well cars aren't the way to make a pot of gold. The bfh mod will most likely be seen as typical on these cars in the future.

While I can understand that taking a hammer to the car may seem a bit savage. Its in a area of the car no one looks at today. RE: 30 years from now in a Concours they may look here. You can, as others have suggested, roll the lip on the wheel well. However I'll bet that isn't a option for you either. Or just play it safe and stay stock.
There are may wheel choices that SHOULD NOT require altering the car.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

internal combustion engine cars won't be allowed on the roads in 30 years, if we still have roads and are even allowed to drive ourselves around.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ws6gluemaker
Judging by another post by ErikElvis he's concerned that a bfh may send the resale value of his car down in 30 years---->Yeah keep weldin! My car will be worth more in 30 yrs without all this crap welded on!

from this thread--->https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...1&page=3&pp=20

Most of us bought these cars to enjoy them today. If you bought the Camaro as a investment, well cars aren't the way to make a pot of gold. The bfh mod will most likely be seen as typical on these cars in the future.

While I can understand that taking a hammer to the car may seem a bit savage. Its in a area of the car no one looks at today. RE: 30 years from now in a Concours they may look here. You can, as others have suggested, roll the lip on the wheel well. However I'll bet that isn't a option for you either. Or just play it safe and stay stock.
There are may wheel choices that SHOULD NOT require altering the car.
In 30 years a 2002 Camaro will be so expensive to maintain you will go broke. The parts cost alot new, dealers only keep most parts for 10 years after last year model, and people charge alot for Camaro parts. Sorry, won't happen. People have been designing cars to be thrown away since day one. Everyone wants the lastest model. Fact of life.

I had a 4 OEM factory GN kickdowns NIB and sold them in two days on ebay. People were contacting me for weeks afterwards. Camaros will be even worse.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh give me a break. I dont want dents or scrapes on my car even if you have to get in awkward positions to see em. My car is not an investment. Its for me. the 30yr thing was a joke but no I dont like putting items on my car that you cant return back to stock. Thats just me. And yes rolling the fender lip is acceptable to me. One of the few permanant things I would do.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What if you BFH and then use spray paint over it, the kind for rustproofing. It would look stock I think.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I suppose "finesse" could be used with a bfh mod.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ws6gluemaker
I suppose "finesse" could be used with a bfh mod.
There is no "finesse" with a BFH. You won't accomplish anything with love taps. Its a full arm swing.
I have never had a problem beating my cars into submission. Whenever I hear some guy say "I bought this car as an investment" It takes everything I have to keep from punching him in the jaw.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:10 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Leave it with the stock wheels then. Problem solved. You cannot have it both ways.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dude use a hammer it dont have to be the biggest u can buy but the bigger the quicker just take ur time whack the **** out of it for a while then thrown a couple light coats of under coating on it and you'll never know its there
Old 09-20-2007, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

use a hammer and a small peice of wood(like a 2x4) to run the length on the inner fender to give it a smooth look be sure not to smash your fingers and take it easy and make it even. make sure its not like a foot long piece..

Quick Reply: Is there a more appealing alternative to the BFH?