Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

help me pick what i need to lower my car

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007 | 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default help me pick what i need to lower my car

ive been reading so please dont tell me to use the search

i am looking at these springs Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

item number EIB3870-140 at www.SpeedInc.com

will i need shocks? or can i use the stock ones. if i do what shocks should i get? id like to lower the car about 1.5" also will i need a K member?

it doesnt have to be that set up. if your cars lowered around 1.5" let me know what your set-up is and where you got it. id really like to get rid of the 4X4 look.

thanks
Old 09-29-2007 | 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

To do everything right you will need the springs of your choice, correctly valved shocks, LCA relocation brackets, LCA's, and an adj. PHR.

You can do just the springs but the car will ride like crap and wheel hop like crazy. Hence why I said you would need shocks etc. As for shocks you can get Koni's or revalved Bilsteins from Sam Strano.
Old 09-29-2007 | 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

1st and foremost...NICE CAR!! SOM w black rims...gotta love it!

I strongly recomend new shocks. Stock ones leave alot to be desired, are likely worn, and may not come apart so well. Might aswell kill 2 bird w/ one stone here.

I couldn't be happier w my combo: Strano Springs and Koni S/As. 1.25" drop, corners much better, looks better. Ride is firm, but not harsh...like a sports car should have been from the factory. I've never ponied up big $ for shocks b4, but I'm a Koni believer now!

Shocks and springs are all you need. I'm not a drag racer (I'm a road racer), so I cannot agree w the relocation bracket or aftermarket LCA suggestion. But if you are focused on Drag racing, that may be for you...

I put on an adjustable PHB when I did my lowering. It was a quality piece(UMI), but w rod ends, you will hear noise! I went back to stock, the rattle bothered me. I really didn't need the adjustment, it was very near stock length anyway (I couldn't measure a diff).

And you do not need a K-member.

I wish I had some newer pics w the springs on my car(all my pics are fdrom b4 the springs). 1.25" was enough for me.
Old 09-29-2007 | 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I edited my post...for some reason your car looks Maroon in the sig pick. Thaught I had another Maroon car styling blk rims at 1st.
Old 09-29-2007 | 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by subtlez28
1st and foremost...NICE CAR!! SOM w black rims...gotta love it!

I strongly recomend new shocks. Stock ones leave alot to be desired, are likely worn, and may not come apart so well. Might aswell kill 2 bird w/ one stone here.

I couldn't be happier w my combo: Strano Springs and Koni S/As. 1.25" drop, corners much better, looks better. Ride is firm, but not harsh...like a sports car should have been from the factory. I've never ponied up big $ for shocks b4, but I'm a Koni believer now!

Shocks and springs are all you need. I'm not a drag racer (I'm a road racer), so I cannot agree w the relocation bracket or aftermarket LCA suggestion. But if you are focused on Drag racing, that may be for you...

I put on an adjustable PHB when I did my lowering. It was a quality piece(UMI), but w rod ends, you will hear noise! I went back to stock, the rattle bothered me. I really didn't need the adjustment, it was very near stock length anyway (I couldn't measure a diff).

And you do not need a K-member.

I wish I had some newer pics w the springs on my car(all my pics are fdrom b4 the springs). 1.25" was enough for me.

thanks for the replys

the shocks are really expensive. is there anyway i can just use the stock shocks. here is the spring kit i was looking at.

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...807a8378a8763e
Old 09-30-2007 | 02:43 AM
Launching!

Strano performance.

I think you should do the job right the first time by saving money to do both

Last edited by dopy; 10-03-2007 at 12:34 AM.
Old 09-30-2007 | 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Like dopy said. Get the shocks right away. Stock and stock-style replacements are not valved to deal with the increased rate and decreased travel of lowering springs. Koni S/As are adjustable, which is nice so you can tune them to suite your ride taste. But you can also get revalved Bilstiens from Strano for less.

This is just a terrible place to compromise. If you haven't already call Sam at Strano Parts. He can discuss options w you and has many brands to choose from. Though I again urge you to consider his springs. He has done the research, and come up with a very good rate combo.

Trending Topics

Old 09-30-2007 | 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can run stock shocks if you want. They'll fit and "work" but like they stated above, you should really invest in shocks that can handle the springs. The ride is just going to get worse and worse.
Old 09-30-2007 | 01:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Get the right shocks right away. The stock shocks are junk and you will hate being lowered. A lot of guys will recommend the koni single adjustable shocks. I have them and I like them a lot.

Here is my set up.
Hotchkis lowering springs
Koni SA
Hotchkis pan hard
Hotchkis front and rear sway bars
Hotchkis trailing arms
Hotchkis strut bar

The car is lowered a little over an inch.
Old 09-30-2007 | 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Do it right do it once, and save your $$$
My setup
Strano springs
Koni SA 4/3 shocks
UMI adjustable Panhard bar
UMI Strut bar
Strano F/R swaybars
Old 09-30-2007 | 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with everyone, I have heard nothing but great things about the stranos/konis. I really wish I would have done it right the first time, like said above. If you could ride in my car with ST springs and monroe (maybe) shocks, from advanced auto parts....haha, you would defiently want to do it right the first time. My next purchase will be the konis/stranos.
Old 09-30-2007 | 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

are there any good kits out there for under 700??

i dont really want to spend 1000
Old 09-30-2007 | 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

Bilstein revalves are about $600. He valves them specific to whatever springs you get.
Old 09-30-2007 | 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by porksoda
Bilstein revalves are about $600. He valves them specific to whatever springs you get.
do you have a link to them?
Old 09-30-2007 | 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

In case you misunderstood its not a package with shocks and springs. The $600 price tag is just for custom built shocks for your application. As I mentioned you could just replace the springs but the ride will be VERY harsh.
Old 10-01-2007 | 12:00 AM
TECH Regular

Strano's springs

Koni sa's

relocation brakets for the trailing arms

adj panhard bar

I prefer BMR stuff
Old 10-02-2007 | 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

could i get by with the Auto Zone 99.00 bilstein shocks???

Last edited by CAMAROZ28SS; 10-02-2007 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-02-2007 | 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyyoneee???
Old 10-02-2007 | 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CAMAROZ28SS
could i get by with the Auto Zone 99.00 bilstein shocks???
You could "get by" with stock shocks, just like you could "get by" with a big cam, or N20 and no supporting mods. But I don't think anyone will recommend it.
I'm not just saying this, but the Koni's were the BEST mod I could have done to my car. I've ridden in a handful of f-bodies with various suspension mods and none ride or handle anywhere near mine. Personally if I were to own another fbody the very first thing I would do is buy some good shocks, they really make that much of a difference.
Old 10-03-2007 | 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My setup:
Strano spings
Koni SA 4/4
BMR poly/poly double adj phb

If you are willing to spend $700, why not save a little more and get the right stuff. Close to $800 could get you the Bilsteins revalves by Sam and his springs. If you want a lifetime warranty then the Koni's are your answer. I really don't like the ride of stock shocks and lowering springs. I have two friends with lowering springs and stock shocks. You can look at the back rear of them when it hits a bump and it just bounces and takes a couple seconds to recover. Like riding a railroad track. You will like your car so much more if you do it right and not just go for looks. Also, the BMR poly/poly phb has no noise and I love it. I needed the adj phb when I got lowered. The car sat 2-3 inches over the RR tire and rubbed the inner well bad. I have a thread that shows the difference in the drop. It's your choice though. You are gonna want shocks after you feel the ride so I would rather do it once.