Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Has anyone broke their tubluar K member yet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Default Has anyone broke their tubluar K member yet?

I have been told not use a tubular k member on a street car. Strano told me this and I whole heartly believe him. I have already bought it and is on the car. He said the most tubular k members aren't strong enough to support the lateral load but on them by cornering. So when/if I do break it I am going to say I was told so.

I have a spohn k member and it's in my 3rd gen. I know the UMI unit has extra bracing on it. Has anyone broke their k member yet? If so what happened and do you have any pics.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well hopefully if you break it you'll be able to get back with us on how bad the damage was because a broken k member can be fatal man. Anyways yea im in the same dilemma i want a k member to help with the clearance of my turbo kit, BUT im scared shitless of it breaking doin i duno 100mph LOL I was thinking of buying the PA racing one since its reallly reallly cheap in price and i was thinking of just reinforcing it buy welding in braces everywhere i possibly can. Hey its either buy a tubular and reinforce it, OR leave the stocker and cut it up so i gain clearance. I just think tubular would be better since im not cutting, im just adding strength. ?? Hopefully sonebody chimes in, i really dont think ive heard or seen anyone break their k member, pretty rare i think--well good luck to us man lol
Old 10-17-2007, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its been a while (6 months maybe) since i've seen a report and i dont feel like searching for the last one I saw but i've seen at least 4 or 5 reports on this board since i've been on here. usually a crack will appear along one of the welds before it turns into a complete break.

Anyway, i would go UMI road race or stock. There are things where its fine to shed some pounds but critical, structural things like k-members I would not skimp on for a street car
Old 10-17-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Resident

sometimes a k member will be the same with the exception of the quality of the control arms... dont skimp out, make sure you get heavy duty chromoly rod ends!!!
Old 10-18-2007, 02:17 AM
TECH Resident

I'm going with UMI road race. If I die at high speed despite the safety precautions, then I was really living!
Old 10-19-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've got a Spohn k-frame. Been on since March and it's been nothing but good to me. It's way easier to work on the car.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Interesting post.

I whole heartedly believe Strano as well.

He seems honest and knows what he's talking about.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:13 PM

I been running a BMR k frame and upper and lower a arms for close to a year now and no problems here and my car is a true street car
Old 10-20-2007, 01:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

one thing to keep in mind is that there are a million stock k-members out there that have seen a lot of miles of severe driving over more than a decade and i've NEVER heard of one breaking.

There only a few hundred, maybe a couple thousand at most, aftermarket k-members many of which are on cars that dont see street duty or not that many miles and i've seen a couple of them broken..

so while not every aftermarket k-member is going to break (or maybe they all will given enough time) the statistics favor the stocker as far as strength... but it is heavy... but again, i dont mind a few extra pounds on something that holds the engine in place as well as the a-arms.. pretty critical
Old 10-21-2007, 08:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well as mentioned above, they make the road race versions that sound fairly strong.

Ah now another question, most people that had broke Kmembers, was this with a ls1? Wonder if the heavier LT1 has more of a chance of breaking one.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Junkie

One of the local guys had a tubular kmember and broke it. He has a turbo ls1 and uses it for the 1/4 mile.

Quick Reply: Has anyone broke their tubluar K member yet?