Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need some tips on front suspension.... out of ideas..

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 09:28 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need some tips on front suspension.... out of ideas..

Recently bought a used 99 TA in Feb. I noticed it was lowered and all. So, my prob lem is this... Cant get the front alignment in spec.. The top of the wheels are leaning in.(driver side more than the passenger side) Alignment shop said its too low and is the best it will get.. so, i bought all new shocks and struts and installed them and took it back to the alignment shop and the guy said it is better but still not in spec... So, i called eibach (thats what kind of springs are on the car)Its the 1.2" drop(i think they call it the pro kit) and they said that it should still come into spec.. But its not.. So, anyone have any suggestions on the next option i should try.. Im sure if i keep calling eibach they might send me some new springs then at least i can eliminate that then.. out of ides.. help!
Old 06-11-2003, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need some tips on front suspension.... out of ideas..

What Specs are you trying to get? maybe alignement shops is trying to use wrong ones.

the stock Range is
Camber -0.1 to 0.9
caster 4.3 to 5.3
toe -0.10 to 0.10

should be able to hit anywhere in there and a lowered car can ususally go even more on the negative camber.

I run
Camber -0.6
Caster 4.8
Toe 0.0

But mine isn't lowered.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:38 AM
10 Second Club

I dont exactly what the specs are that he is using (im guessing factory) but was just trying to get the car to handle poperly but since the front tires are leaning in on top it handles crappy.. the guy to where i take my car as been doing alighnment for over 20 years.. so i trust his judgement..He said that i need to raise the car 1/2 inch or so and will be in spec.. He also said that it is as far out or in as the camber will go.. Started off with replacing the struts and that helped and im thinking its the springs now..(maybe they have lost their sprung).. what else could it be.. (maybe something is bent.. I did buy it used)
Old 06-11-2003, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whoa up a minute there pardner ...

Negative camber is a GOOD thing! I run about the specs that BBB runs and the car handles GREAT with G2 super springs ... about the same ride height as the Pro-Kit.

zero toe will make it a bit darty, but turn in ought to be quick and crisp. And don't anyone tell you it will wear out the inside edge of the tires. Tire wear is very good with those specs.

You really need to find out the current alignment specs and then go from there.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:37 PM
10 Second Club

I dont really know that much about camber and all that or the specs.. i leave that up to the pros.. I just dont want the front tires to bowe in on top. (looks Cheap) I guess ill call eibach and see if i can get some new springs since they are quranteed for life.. that way i can eliminate the shocks and struts (since they are new) and then the springs.. Want the TA to look Tuff not crippled in the front with the tires leaning in..
Old 06-11-2003, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks cheap, huh.

Next oppurtunity, check out BFG Trans AM cars or World Challenge cars or Grans AM cars or most any road race car ...

Negative camber is your friend ... and not your crippled friend.

Good luck with Eibach. They wouldn't replace my sagging rear springs and I was the original owner ...
Old 06-11-2003, 04:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Want the TA to look Tuff not crippled in the front with the tires leaning in.."

Wow, I love that look!

http://junior.apk.net/~viper/front1.jpg
Old 06-11-2003, 04:14 PM
10 Second Club

I guess i will have to take a picture...