Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

those of you with eibach pro-kits

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default those of you with eibach pro-kits

oK i have eibach prokit and billstein shocks all the way around. On every bump if i have a rear passenger my rear bottoms out. For those of you with eibach prokit can you give me advice on if theres a shock that will prevent this. Or atleast minmize it.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:48 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you have in the rear of your car? A heavy stereo? A dead body?

I took out the bumpstops in my formula and cut enough off so I would only bottom out on really big dips. It's a simple job. My rubber spring isolators have been removed as well.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:50 AM
On The Tree

all i have is one 10" sub and its in a tiny box. i cut my bumpstops. What kind of shocks are you running?
Old 12-17-2007, 02:53 AM
TECH Resident

im running bilstein hd shocks and a pro kit, i have 2 12's in the rear on mine and i don't have that problem....but i still have my bumpstops...how old are your shocks?
Old 12-17-2007, 10:39 AM
Launching!

I've ran bilsteins and Koni SA shocks. The Konis are on right now at allmost full soft with no issues.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A different shock is not going to fix that . . . it's Eibach's crappy rear spring rates . . . .
Old 12-17-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
A different shock is not going to fix that . . . it's Eibach's crappy rear spring rates . . . .
agreed
Old 12-17-2007, 03:31 PM
Launching!

I dunno, like i said I have the prokit and even removed the rubber spring isolator with no issues. The only time I hit the bump stop is when there is a really big dip. I roadraced with these springs with no issues either.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bryan04h
im running bilstein hd shocks and a pro kit, i have 2 12's in the rear on mine and i don't have that problem....but i still have my bumpstops...how old are your shocks?
Isn't the bilstein hd shocks one of the few that are terrible with lowering springs
Old 12-17-2007, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
+1, I'm switching out my Eibachs for stock rear and 300lb QA1 fronts this winter.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You should have saved yourself the trouble and got strano springs IMO. I have my konis set at full soft on the rear with no bottoming out problems.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by DarkhorSe_SS
Isn't the bilstein hd shocks one of the few that are terrible with lowering springs
Mine are fine.......replaced my EIBACH's in the rear with my stockers with hose mod sits and rides great now..........fronts are great----Have Bilsteins all around...........
Old 12-17-2007, 06:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Fella's,

Sooner or later you will all realize that the term "bottoming out" is not accurate, and the feel will vary from person to person to some degree.

ALL cars will get to the bumpstops, be it Eibach's, my springs or any number of others. The trick is to have enough spring rate and ride height to keep from just riding right on top of them so that any movement makes you ram into them quickly. Then the shocks come into play because the change the rate at which you hit them. Slow the movement, the hit isn't nearly as hard. On top of that, there are different bumpstops for the car. Some are much harder than others so when you hit them, it's more abrupt.
Adding to that.... Eibach's for instance are very inconsistent in height. A 1/2" difference in height is 1/2" more working spring travel which is good. A low set of Eibach's won't be as ok as a "correct" set.

And the bumpstops should be on the car, and not cut or trimmed. Full length Z28/Formula/V-6 ones are the best. SS/WS6 parts and the spacers suck.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-17-2007, 06:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
Mine are fine.......replaced my EIBACH's in the rear with my stockers with hose mod sits and rides great now..........fronts are great----Have Bilsteins all around...........
So you have stocks springs in the back, what HD's are supposed to deal with. And you have Pro-kits in the front, and Eibach's are by far the softest front springs there are. They are the closest you get to stock front springs. 10-25% stiffer than stock which just means the Bilstein's are not as poorly suited to them as they would be to other springs.

Not all springs are equal. And even if they were, I don't think the Bilstein's (even the better old version) had enough damping for the stock springs let alone even light lowering springs. But that's a personal taste and one that folks don't realize until they can compare and contrast different types of damping.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!