Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

SFC's or Torque Arm?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 07:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SFC's or Torque Arm?

I've been wanting to do some suspension mods for awhile since my car doesn't get the best traction. Will i see more of a gain from doing Subframe connectors? or from buying an aftermarket Torque arm?

I know some will say just to do both, but for right now i can only do one.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

Default my .02

Ok im going to tell you what I know or basically understand. My car has them both but I bought it that way.
The TA is going to help get the power to the ground, and keep the rear end in place, the SFC help with flex of the body over all.
So in my brain in its overly powerfull thinking, I would go SFC first, then TA re-enforce the frame before you put more power to the road. The more twist the more damage, I had a friend who had trouble sealing his T-Tops and accually cracked his Windshield.
SFC first then suspention.....
Old 12-20-2007, 07:50 PM
11 Second Club

thanks, thats kind of what i figured
Old 12-20-2007, 08:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

A torque arm will be more noticeable then a set of SFC's traction wise. SFC's will not effect traction where the torque arm will.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 12-20-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree with the other posts, the torque arm will get you traction; the subframe connectors will not. It would be good insurance to have the SFC installed before you hook though.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

T/A. More useful for the $ put into it.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:20 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by its turbo time
I've been wanting to do some suspension mods for awhile since my car doesn't get the best traction. Will i see more of a gain from doing Subframe connectors? or from buying an aftermarket Torque arm?

I know some will say just to do both, but for right now i can only do one.

i can get you a set of connectors and a torque arm for the same as others are charging for just the torque arm. pm me for quote.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:11 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

No need to play pricing games. If you make a product that is what someone needs, then the quality of that product and the customer service will sell it.

Frankly, I'm very much against tunnel-mount TA's. There is no beef on the tunnel mount, it's only meant to carry a small brace that runs side to side, NOT to carry the torque reaction from a stiffer, and shorter TA. And that's my opinion no matter who builds it. However, some folks like them, so I'll sell them (I sell UMI products). But I also have a choice of other options. Full length tranny mounted, or full length with a relocation to a transmission cross-member. If a customer wants or needs a TA moved off the the transmission itself, this is how I do it. The reason it very simple. Look at the mounting location for the transmission crossmember vs. the location for the tunnel-brace and tell me which is stronger.

SFC's are not suspension parts but chassis parts. A TA is a suspension part. Which are you looking to improve?

You can check out the different types of TA's (and other suspension parts) here: http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbym...D=18&ModelID=7

You can see the different SFC's here: http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbym...D=22&ModelID=7
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-21-2007, 11:27 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yes Sam, you are very correct...

but... in the street/strip world the tunnel mounted ones work better for some applications, depending on the car. its a power-gearing-tires-driving style issue.
tunnel mounted ones don't belong in corner carvers... they work very good in cars with moderate power and street-strip use. and as far as ive seen/sold/worked on... the tunnel mounts are plenty strong for what the average guy is using them for.
i have trans mounted versions available, also. its just a peorsonal preference thing that i deal with per customer.
as far as pricing goes... it's definetly not a game... its a fact. low overhead= lower prices.

Quick Reply: SFC's or Torque Arm?