Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

C5 ZO6 Calipers on a 2001 Z-28

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 ZO6 Calipers on a 2001 Z-28

Will the front calipers fit onto my 01 Z-28? They look the same to me but I want to make sure before spending the money. Also are the brackets the same or do I need some other parts to make it work? I thought it would be a good upgrade as well as looks. Thanks
Old 01-07-2008, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a direct bolt on using existing hardware. They are on my road race firebird.

Changing to a C5 abutment bracket and pad will interfere with the smaller rotor hub.

There is some internet folklore roaming around that says it won't work. trust me, it will.

The only issue I see is when the brake pads get worn down to the backing plates, the C5 pistons are extended very far out of the caliper. This is because the caliper is wider between the ear and piston to accomodate a thicker C5 rotor.

On my race car, I've run the pads to the backing plates before without an issue.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:07 AM
TECH Veteran

I went with the C5 rotor upgrade on my f-body using adapter brackets.

I kept the f-body calipers, however, since their pistons are larger and provide more clamping force than the c5 calipers. The only advantage of the c5 calipers is that they are supposed to be a tad stronger and less likely to spread. As far as I know, caliper spread has never been a problem with f-body brakes, however.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mitchntx
It's a direct bolt on using existing hardware. They are on my road race firebird.

Changing to a C5 abutment bracket and pad will interfere with the smaller rotor hub.

There is some internet folklore roaming around that says it won't work. trust me, it will.

The only issue I see is when the brake pads get worn down to the backing plates, the C5 pistons are extended very far out of the caliper. This is because the caliper is wider between the ear and piston to accomodate a thicker C5 rotor.

On my race car, I've run the pads to the backing plates before without an issue.
So technically speaking I can use my EBC F-body pads and Powerstop rotors with the C5 calipers and not have any issues? I'm mainly going for the looks as the stock calipers stop the car well but would like some improvement.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98-LS1
So technically speaking I can use my EBC F-body pads and Powerstop rotors with the C5 calipers and not have any issues? I'm mainly going for the looks as the stock calipers stop the car well but would like some improvement.

Yes you can
Old 01-07-2008, 03:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Are you considering using the f-body rotors, f-body pads and f-body pad brackets and c5 calipers?

As mentioned above, the c5 caliper has less clamping force than the f-body caliper.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
I went with the C5 rotor upgrade on my f-body using adapter brackets.

I kept the f-body calipers, however, since their pistons are larger and provide more clamping force than the c5 calipers. The only advantage of the c5 calipers is that they are supposed to be a tad stronger and less likely to spread. As far as I know, caliper spread has never been a problem with f-body brakes, however.
Caliper spread is a HUGE problem with LS1 brakes. I spread a set myself (along with a ton of other open lappers and CMC racers). The f-body calipers are cast while the C5 stuff is forged. However, the only way to get them hot enough to spread is on a road course. It is impossible on the street.

So, for street driving, I would stick with the LS1 calipers, since they provide more clamping force. If you are spreading LS1 calipers on the track, get the conversion kit and switch to C5 13" rotors and C5 calipers.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

I need just enough clamping force to lock up the tire. Anything more than that just makes round tires, square.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mitchntx
I need just enough clamping force to lock up the tire. Anything more than that just makes round tires, square.
Well, maybe if CMC cars ran on tires and not Toyo rocks you would need more clamping force.

I kid, I kid. But really, it is only for looks. Without the bigger rotor, you aren't improving anything. If look is what works for you, then do it. If not, spend the money else where.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I figured the C5 calipers would be stronger, guess I'll stick with what I have then. I definately don't want to lose braking power. I might look into a Baer brake set-up or something.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Chad and I are just bustin each other's *****. Pay no attention to him as he drives on of them over-rated Corvairs ... er ... Corvettes.

Can you get into ABS now? Trust me, you will not lose braking power for a street car, on street tires, using street brake pads shod with C5 calipers on a 12" rotor.

Quick Reply: C5 ZO6 Calipers on a 2001 Z-28