Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Changing Tie Rods

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Tie Rods

So im planning on changing my tie rods(inner/outer this week and was wondering if its a difficult job?
And any tips from those that have done it before?
Old 02-02-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i tried it. couldnt do it. took it to a shop. supposedly its easy if you know how to do it, i didn't have that luxury. hope that helps
Old 02-02-2008, 06:30 PM
TECH Regular

awww mannn..I figured it would be hard to do after the shop quoted me at $78labor for the inner tie rod alone...
Old 02-02-2008, 07:28 PM
10 Second Club

the outers are easy to do. the inners require a couple of special tools. you will need the toe set/alignment after the install though.

do you actually need them or are you just replacing them?

pm me if you have any more questions, i don't visit this section very much....
Old 02-02-2008, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

it is best if you can measure from grease fitting to grease fitting
Old 02-02-2008, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

yea I need them because I seem to of damaged my old ones...lots of clicking and popping..I think ill just let a shop do both inner and outer plus alignment..
Old 02-02-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Make sure they know how to jack up your car..watch them jack it up if you can, otherwise you may have bent fenders.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Popping sounds more like ball joints than tie rods. Get your wheels up in the air and check for play.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Popping sounds more like ball joints than tie rods. Get your wheels up in the air and check for play.
exactly what he said. sided to side play would be inner or outer rie rod (gotta put your hand on them to feel, otherwise, squeeze the outers w/ a pair of channel locks) You will see and feel th play when you squeeze them. You will have to use the channel locks to squeeze the ball joints to, with the pressure of the channel locks still squeezing the ball joint, put a pry bar there and pry up on the ball joint avoiding the boot. You will feel the play definately.

Inner tie rods, like previously mentioned, will need a special tool, which actually could be made. Otherwise, on some cars, you can use a big creasant wrench, and after you get the plastic sheild off the inner rod, you will see 2 flats machined there for grip, and twist it off. (not sure how much room on the f-body if you were to use a wrench). When I worked at the shop, we were always advised to put a little thread lock back on the threads.

Outers, brake the nut free, but don't spin it or loose it's position. Count the complete rotations that it takes to twist the outer off. (most cars I deal with are between 18-23 turns) Then, match up the outer rods and make sure they are exactly the same size. Toss neversieze on the threads, and twist the new one on the same amount of turns that it took to take the old one off. Should end right at the front of the jam nut. Make sure to re-tighten the nut. 95% of the time, you won't mess your alignment up this way. And if it is off a little, then it is saves a bunch of time on the alignment rack. They are pretty easy once you do them a time or 2
Old 02-05-2008, 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

i'm in the same boat... noise comes from my front left side.

Quick Reply: Changing Tie Rods