Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

"AG" lowering springs???

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 06:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "AG" lowering springs???

Has anyone used these? Company is out of Argentina and they claim to make OEM springs and carry only "quality products". Found them for $120 shipped, new in box. I'm afraid of the old saying "you get what you pay for" lol. So, anyone know anything at all about them?

Joe.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What are you looking for, performance or just looks?
Old 02-17-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

I'd like to have a decent compromise of both. I drag race more than I drive "spiritedly" through the twistys. Do you have any experience with AG springs?
Old 02-18-2008, 09:44 AM
TECH Junkie

If you wanted a surround sound home theater would you just go buy the cheapest one without knowing the specs of it?

I would never buy a set of springs that I didn't know at least the ride height, springrates, and ride height consistency. Sure 120 bucks is cheap, but springs prices range from around that to 270 bucks which I would say isn't too bad compared to the price differences in other mods.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:51 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by z28bryan
If you wanted a surround sound home theater would you just go buy the cheapest one without knowing the specs of it?
I sure wouldnt, that's why I'm asking if anyone has any personal experience with these springs.

Here's a quote from the ad: "THESE QUALITY SPRINGS OFFER A 1.5" FRONT & REAR DROP FOR A SMOOTH RIDE. OTHER SPRINGS USUALLY OFFER A 1" DROP. ALL OUR SPRINGS CARRY THE ISO 9001 STANDARDIZATION AND ARE TUV APPROVED. "
Old 02-18-2008, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I saw those before, out of curiousity I looked for a website and didn't find one. They seem a bit sketchy, not sure it's worth your $120+
Old 02-18-2008, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crazyjoe
I sure wouldnt, that's why I'm asking if anyone has any personal experience with these springs.

Here's a quote from the ad: "THESE QUALITY SPRINGS OFFER A 1.5" FRONT & REAR DROP FOR A SMOOTH RIDE. OTHER SPRINGS USUALLY OFFER A 1" DROP. ALL OUR SPRINGS CARRY THE ISO 9001 STANDARDIZATION AND ARE TUV APPROVED. "
In all honesty, I've seen those springs for sale on eBay, and while they may or may not be terrible, they don't offer the most crucial detail needed, which are spring rates.

LIke JD AMG and Z28bryan state, unless you have the money to burn and the labour to waste, probably not worth the chance.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Looks like you have the drop but not the springrate nor how consistently they put you at 1.5 inches lower. I wouldn't get them. That being said, many buy springs for sole purpose of lowering the car only and some are happy with their decision.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

I certainly dont have the money to burn, and it seems as if everyone else apparently feels the same way I do and are a little leery of this company and are afraid to try them out firsthand.

They have a website, but it's pretty useless as far as product description goes.

I guess I'll just keep looking for set of quality used springs. Thanks anyhow guys.

Joe.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd like to have a decent compromise of both. I drag race more than I drive "spiritedly" through the twistys. Do you have any experience with AG springs?
So do you want the car to be lowered for the looks of it more than performance? Or is it that you think springs would just be the next best thing on the list?
Unless you are dead set on being lowered look elsewhere for performance gains. Something like an adjustable PHB will help handling and not effect drag racing. Lowering springs are certainly not going to help with your launch, and ones without the right spring rates for the drop are going to leave you with an unbalanced, goofy handling car.
I hate it when manufacturers don't post specs about their own products. Not knowing the spring rates is like buying a cam that the manufacturer didn't post lift/duration.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:15 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Things like that smack of "AS SEEN ON TV" and "You can make $5000 a month from home!".

While it's not always the case, you get what you pay for in this world. Nobody wants to work for less, and if they do it's because they don't really care and/or are using crappy components in their product. I could have had springs made cheaper than what mine cost me (and sold them for less if I had done it), but there are already plenty of inferior springs around for the car.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-19-2008, 06:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMHO, $120 isn't a lot of money to gamble, HOWEVER changing a set of springs, especially the fronts, is a lot of work. Because of the work involved, I'd go with a known, and slightly more expensive, set of springs.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:34 AM
TECH Junkie

One thing that all of us who recommend good springs also assume you want good shocks. So while we say its only a hundred more for a good set of springs, they aren't good unless you have good shocks with them. And I personally wouldn't go with anything on lowering springs except konis for this car. Which is around ~800 bucks for a set. Just something to keep in mind. But thats life with cars right? You have a target amount and end up spending at least double when you find the cold hard truth about it

Quick Reply: "AG" lowering springs???