Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

tunnel mounted VS. full length T/A

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tunnel mounted VS. full length T/A

I got a umi tunnel mounted torque arm from a friend, but I only go to the track once in a while and do more street/curves type driving. Anyhow my question is will the tunnel mount work for me or should I sell it and get the umi full length adjustable one and maybe get the relocation bracket with it as well???? Also how much will The tunnel mount affect me if I roadrace???
thanks
Old 03-05-2008, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what your wanting to do a full length would be better. You do the same type of driving i do and i was told a tunnel mount is better for dragging while a full length is better for corner carving since it doesnt illicit wheel hop when you get on the brakes hard like a tunnel mount would
Old 03-05-2008, 08:11 PM
11 Second Club

I have the UMI tunnel mount and the only difference I have noticed is that the rear is much stiffer (ride quality). It still handles really good though. It also transfer's noise through the cab.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

the plus about the tunnel brace mounted t/a from umi is that if you get theri 3 point subframe connectors you can tie them into the tunnel brace and till your whole frame together.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:17 PM
10 Second Club

myself, i would only get the short t/a if you get the subframes that go with it. otherwise, it would just be bolted up to sheet metal... if you go with a long t/a, get the tunnel brace to get it off the tranny. i went with the longer one, just because my car doesnt see the track as much.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a tunnel mounted one and absolutely hated it. I have a pretty high tolerance for noisy mods but this thing sucked. Clunking every time I shifted gears and the gear whine from the 12 bolt was amplified like WHOA! Sold it a week later. Got a Spohn tranny mounted now, nice and quiet.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

I do have the umi 3 point subframe connectors already installed on the car. So maybe I will try it out and if I don't like it I will sell it. Also how much wheel hop does it have under hard braking???? is there anything eles I need to watch out for with this piece???? like ground clearence. THANKS
Old 03-06-2008, 06:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by turbozcamaro
I do have the umi 3 point subframe connectors already installed on the car. So maybe I will try it out and if I don't like it I will sell it. Also how much wheel hop does it have under hard braking???? is there anything eles I need to watch out for with this piece???? like ground clearence. THANKS
Mine doesn't wheel hop under hard braking and hasn't given me any clearance problems either, but I'm not lowered so it might be different if you are.